PDA

View Full Version : Job: Tool & Die

Rip_Tear
10-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Can anyone who is a Tool and Die maker please post or PM me about your job, like if you like it, what you dislike about it. What you do during a regular day, ETC

Thanks, I am looking into this career and I am pretty sure this is what I want to do! I just want to know what you guys think!

Thanks again

MCF400EX
10-22-2002, 06:22 PM
My dad was a tool and die maker for over 35 years and he enjoyed every day of it. He made molds for everything from road reflectors to plastic seats in toy busses. He passed away early this year and ever since then, the shop he worked for has gone downhill. A bunch of guys got laid off and they guys that are still there have no projects to work on. Don't mean to bring ya down, but with all the steel tarriffs and whatnot, unless you work for a bigger company, it may be tough getting in. My dad worked at a shop of about 15 guys and they are really struggling to keep their heads above water. Good luck to you in your job trail!

Matt
Sexxyrunr1@aol.com

Nausty
10-22-2002, 06:37 PM
this isn't about tool and die but I don't want to start a topic, but I got a question. Is there any way I could join the military seeing i'm a only child? I got a half brother that will carry on the name tho its just i'm my moms only child.

redrider ex
10-22-2002, 06:52 PM
thats what i do my job title is a Tooling Technition i work in a plant that makes auto parts for GM delfi harly davison and a few others the parts we make are made from alumminum and its heated to 1100 degrees and pushed into a die or some people call it a mold any way its pushed in with a hydralic ram. My job is to clean out the die when alumminum builds up in the cavity this build up is called a drag and i have to change out the cavitys when they wear out and these dies have hot oil running through them to keep them at a steady temp, this oil is 500 degrees and i have to plum up these lines that the oil flows through. Its a good job and i get to use lathes and milling machines all the time too and when all the dies are running fine that means goverment work hehe thats free time to make ATV parts from alumminum.:devil let me know if you want to know more

250x#93
10-23-2002, 05:06 PM
I don't work in a tool and die shop but after I graduate I plan to, I am going to a tech school and am trying very hard to learn all I can. I am learning how to run manual machines and this year I've worked a lot on setting up and programming CNC's. This job field is awsome and full of so much oppertunity I love it:) I think you would like the job so much. Like someone else said you can also make fourwheeler part which is awsome. :)

Rip_Tear
10-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Well you guys have really made my decision easier! Thanks for all the info. Sorry about your dad mcf400ex:( .

Thanks