PDA

View Full Version : brake switch conv. bolt on.

EX LONERIDER
07-07-2007, 12:14 AM
ok, so looking through threads about this subject (brake light conversion) i had one problem. i dont usually use my rear brakes for anything, most of the braking is done with the front. so thus to be more effective, you need a front brake switch rather then a rear.

i seen a solution for the rear switch but the front i didnt find much on it. so, looking around i noticed that the dual sport (street legal) bikes have the same darn front master as the 400ex (and likely evry other new bike) so knowing honda, its likely they used the same cast etc for all their bikes and sure enough, theres a spot for a front brake switch on my 400ex.

now, this then led me to servicehonda.com and looked it up. sure enough. its the same part and all you need is a brake switch from a XL600 or any XL model and voilah! factory 400ex brake switch. just order up the switch and factory bolt that holds it in, run some wires to your choice of brake light, power source, and done.

i dont think i found anyone who did a write up on this so if anyone cares, ill do a step by step document on how to do it with pictures, part numbers, etc. :D

oldschool73
07-07-2007, 03:29 PM
look for a post by me oldschool73 on a home made brke light set-up

JOEX
07-07-2007, 05:16 PM
I've heard you can use the neutral safety from the clutch lever as a brake switch on the brake lever...

07-07-2007, 09:36 PM
i have a brake light on both front and rear of my 2000 400ex.

fullysic 400
07-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i have a brake light on both front and rear of my 2000 400ex.

07 models are the same.

EX LONERIDER
07-08-2007, 03:34 AM
yea, i may not have typed in the right terms when i searched it but i didnt find anything too descriptive when i was looking. either way. its a nice feature to have.

since i couldnt find anything on it i just thought of the dual sports needing a similar system for a brake light and looked it up on hondaservice.com. sure enough its the same casting theyve used for the past few years so a switch is already meant to go in that place. just need to order one from honda and hook it all up.

im using a yamaha R6 tail lamp assembly. im getting white plastics and the clear tail lamp will set it off nice. (that and i got the tail light for $20 bux) its an LED tail with a brake light and is just something diffrent. i had to fab a mount for it but was pretty easy and just took some time. ill post some pictures of it tomorrow.

07-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by fullysic 400
07 models are the same.
they came that way...mine didn't