PDA

View Full Version : Sputtering at top end of gears...

Bcuster
07-06-2007, 06:06 PM
I just had my 06 Yfz rejetted and fitted with a Dr. D pipe. Just got back from the shop and took it out for a spin and noticed it seems to sputter a bit at the top end of each gear. Any suggestions??

Brad

GPracer2500
07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the jetting isn't right. Failure to rev out properly--almost like a false rev limiter--can be a sign of too rich.

Is your airbox lid off? If not, take it off and see if the condition improves. If it does that will confirm that you're too jetting is too rich.

Bcuster
07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I had bought a Dyno jet kit and took it to a dealer and had them install it plus the pipe. I really hate doing that because they probably don't give a crap and the kid didn't even act like he knew what a Dyno jet kit was. I just don't know much about doing anything mechanical so I wasn't sure how to do it. I know they didn't install the needle that came with the jet kit because he said they don't usually do that. Whatever that means... I just feel a bit frustrated with not knowing how to do it on my own and not having anyone I trust to do it. Please help.....

:(

Bcuster
07-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Also, I did what you said with the airbox lid but it didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. I just did it at idle but one thing I do know is it will not idle for very long. It just dies after 15-30 seconds. Is that normal??

:(

dr.dyfz
07-07-2007, 01:34 PM
you gain about 1 or 2 hps with the lid off and it runs smoother. when running it hard

its normal most high proformance quads wont idle long

Bcuster
07-07-2007, 01:45 PM
thanks for the advice. Is it safe to run it with the airbox off all the time?

Bcuster
07-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Why do they even put an airbox lid on in the first place?

dr.dyfz
07-07-2007, 03:52 PM
its just fine to leave it off

they do it to keep dirt out of the air box. i wanna get this cover that is foam to keep the dirt out. some racers duck tape in front of the air box to keep dirt from gettin in their but i havent tried that yet:p

07250ex
07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by dr.dyfz
you gain about 1 or 2 hps with the lid off and it runs smoother. when running it hard

its normal most high proformance quads wont idle long

is that because the idles set low just like the mx racers do to their dirtbikes(2 stroke even tho none of the pros race em) so they'll stall if they get to low even if the clutch is in