PDA

View Full Version : Ignition System Help!!

justasailor
07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Well I bought a new ignition coil and my four wheeler and it still won’t start once and awhile I will get it to fire by wont stay running. I took a spark plug and check the spark and it is a very weak spark. I don't know what to replace next.
Is there anyway to check the CDI box?
If the ignition pulse generator is defective would it still create a weak spark?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jaime

Rip_Tear
07-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Did something happen to it before it had the problem? Like did you get water in the motor or something? Check the ground cable, connections, maybe it's the spark plug?

GPracer2500
07-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Seems to me the pulse gen would cause it to either spark or not spark--not create a weak spark. All the pulse gen does it tell the CDI to release its energy to the ignition coil. The CDI gets its energy from the exciter coil (part of the stator)--so you might look into that.

The CDI has no bench testing procedures I'm aware of. Trying your CDI in another quad, trying another CDI in your quad, or eliminating every other possible problem are the only ways I know of to zero in on a faulty CDI.

Check for loose/corroded connections and a bad plug first since those are easy to check and practically free to fix.