PDA

View Full Version : rear brake problems...pking brake also. Please help.

casey_lamm
07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
It seems my 07 has a problem in the rear brake area.

Problem #1 is that it isn't returning after you hit it very well. Sometimes it stays somewhat on and I have to lift it with my foot. Has anyone seen this? Is this just the spring isn't good anymore? Are there any adjustments that can be made to help this?

Problem #2 parking brake. It doesn't seem to do much at all. If the bike is in neutral and I apply the pking brake (the one on the clutch, it still allows me to roll the bike. Im not entirely sure im applying it correctly, but it seems pretty idiot proof. I simply have the bike in neutral. Push the button in, pull the clutch and make sure it locks the parking brake. Then release the clutch.

Please let me know what you think.

miller821
07-05-2007, 08:31 PM
Parking brake is typical. It has to be adjusted in the rear on the caliper after every time you use it. In my opinion its not worth the hassle and just buy a block off kit.

The other problem i'm not sure.

casey_lamm
07-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Ok, I actually went out to the bike and adjust it rather quick...Its not too bad...but why every time. That seems please poor design. Oh well...

Anyway, the bigger concern is #1. if anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Originally posted by ride hard man
Parking brake is typical. It has to be adjusted in the rear on the caliper after every time you use it. In my opinion its not worth the hassle and just buy a block off kit.

The other problem i'm not sure.

EX LONERIDER
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
take your return spring off and see if when you press the brake it moves freely. if it does then the spring is binding somehow. sometimes ive seen the rubber boots they use to insulate the spring catches the inner coils and slows the rebound.

if the brake lever still has friction to it, and your bike is still under the factory warranty, send it back and tell em to fix it.

CarGuy7a
07-06-2007, 03:19 AM
it could be the pivot point of the pedal as well.

casey_lamm
07-06-2007, 06:48 AM
im the 2nd owner. I doubt it will be under warrenty. Its over 6mths old.

Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
take your return spring off and see if when you press the brake it moves freely. if it does then the spring is binding somehow. sometimes ive seen the rubber boots they use to insulate the spring catches the inner coils and slows the rebound.

if the brake lever still has friction to it, and your bike is still under the factory warranty, send it back and tell em to fix it.

07-06-2007, 07:06 AM
not sure about problem number 1, but lose the parking brake...you don't need it...put the bike in first gear and it won't move...

now back to number one...sit beside the quad and activate the brake with your hand and watch the return action of the pedal...try to see what is holding it up...

good luck

Honda#4
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
#1 I think the Pivot point on your Brake pedal needs to be greased up.

#2 Get rid of that parking brake cus they only work once then you have to adjust them constantly.

hontr35
07-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Yep I'm with Honda#4, just grease that pivot point and should be good to go.

Honda#4
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
You may have to pull pretty hard if you never greased it before cus dirt and what not can lock it up pretty good. When I had to do mine it was a bugger to get out.

casey_lamm
07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
took the spring off and it still binds somewhere. Cant figure out where. The bike is in good shape being a 07 and I dont think this is a mud issue, bascially because I havne't been in the mud w/it yet. It probably is just needing greese. I know wd40 didn't work, but that doesn't really count as greese. I will have to get some for it and try that.

Originally posted by Honda#4
You may have to pull pretty hard if you never greased it before cus dirt and what not can lock it up pretty good. When I had to do mine it was a bugger to get out.

Honda#4
07-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Can you get a pic of it. Go and look at the pads maybe they are damaged some how and thats causing the bind or it could be your rotor is warped.

casey_lamm
07-06-2007, 01:54 PM
yea, ill post some pics tonight or tomorrow..

Originally posted by Honda#4
Can you get a pic of it. Go and look at the pads maybe they are damaged some how and thats causing the bind or it could be your rotor is warped.

07-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Take your parking brake off period. Thats what I have done to mine. Just get a plug for the back where the brake line went. Its also weight reduction haha but mostly reduces clutter.