PDA

View Full Version : pc 4000 duncan bolt on cylinder

gcart2
07-05-2007, 05:02 PM
what kind of horses does this thing pump out. also what are the pro's and con's of this thing. is it worth the money? thank you

XXXRACER165
07-05-2007, 06:40 PM
My 440 has this cylinder, stage 2 Hot Cam, porting, intake and full exhaust and pumps out 42 hp.

JOEX
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
What's the difference between the Duncan cylinder and having your own cylinder sleeved for a 440?

XXXRACER165
07-05-2007, 08:06 PM
Price is the big thing, they run a little cooler and come with HD head studs.

JOEX
07-05-2007, 08:49 PM
There's usually a significant price difference when a well known name is applied to a product and i'd like to think there's something more than just the name to justify the price difference. Quality of workmanship and customer service are the top two priorities.

My question was more in the direction of does Duncan do more to a cylinder besides resleeving and HD studs to gain added performance and reliability.

Chin_Chilla
07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
There's usually a significant price difference when a well known name is applied to a product and i'd like to think there's something more than just the name to justify the price difference. Quality of workmanship and customer service are the top two priorities.

My question was more in the direction of does Duncan do more to a cylinder besides resleeving and HD studs to gain added performance and reliability. I don't think they re-use stock cylinders, resleeve them, and install HD studs. I think they make a more beefy version of the stock cylinders that are already re-sleeved and have HD studs on them.

Would be interesting to know what real advantages they have over stock cylinders besides lower temperature ratings.

GPracer2500
07-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I think it's their own casting. I'm not sure exactly how it's better than a worked-over stocker. They don't really say anything about it on the Duncan website. It looks nice.

http://www.duncanracing.com/images/album/big-400ex_pc4000.jpg

If it sheds heat better I could see it helping out power in that way. The casting might have more meat on it for handling really big sleeves. But beyond that I doubt it's a power-adder all by itself. At least I can't think of how it could be....[shrug]

If I had one I'd sure as heck run it!

CarGuy7a
07-06-2007, 03:03 AM
i've not messed with any big bore kits or anything but to me that cylinder in the pic looks like it's machined from billet aluminum. billet is way better than just the stock cast aluminum b/c it's made from a solid block of aluminum and making it much stronger than a stock cylinder. so yeah i can see how it would run cooler. probably helps prevent from cylinder cracking as well (don't know how often that happens but it would prob help prevent it.)

REDRIDDER
07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
what is the price tag on that cylinder?

Dill
07-06-2007, 09:07 AM
that is definitely not a machined piece of billet, plus it has a sleeve installed. It would be a super nice cylinder if it had a nikisil style bore instead of a cast iron liner...

GPracer2500
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
what is the price tag on that cylinder?

About $1000 with a piston and everything ready to bolt up. About $500 for just the cylinder--no sleeve or piston.

REDRIDDER
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
GPracer2500 thanks do you think its worth it?

REDRIDDER
07-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Dill
that is definitely not a machined piece of billet, plus it has a sleeve installed. It would be a super nice cylinder if it had a nikisil style bore instead of a cast iron liner... LA sleeve could put a nikisil sleeeve in it for you they can do just about any thing for a sleeve.

Dill
07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
if i were to go through the hassle of doing a 400ex cylinder, it would have no sleeve and a coating like all the new 450 engines. Heat transfer is improved this way.

GPracer2500
07-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
GPracer2500 thanks do you think its worth it?

Dunno. For most people, I doubt it. But I don't really know much about that cylinder besides what I can see in that picture.

For the guy that wants the ultimate 400EX, dropping a grand on a cylinder and piston might not be a big deal. For the rest of us on the other hand....

XXXRACER165
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Hey I'm not rich, I just wanted more reliability from my motor. Honda's cylinder isn't made to take the heat from a big bore resleeve, DR made that cyl to hold up to the abuse from a 440. I just want it to last a long time cause the next thing I'm gonna move up to is when Honda comes out with a 650EX, & that will be a while.