PDA

View Full Version : Broken Rear shock linkage

JimmyHoffa
07-05-2007, 12:55 PM
This is a good story...

I was crusin' along at my local sand flats trying to find my brother and my friend, whom I had become seperated from. I was rollin' along in the middle/top of 5th, and I noticed a big v-shaped ditch about a foot deep right in front of me. Like any quick-thinking rider, I pulled the clutch in, rapped on the throttle, and dumped the clutch to raise the front end. I did, but the impact my rear suspension took broke some serious stuff. As soon as the wheels dropped into the mini-canyon, I heard a loud crack, and the quad came way up and smacked me firmly in the bottom. I stopped, and noticed that my quad's rear suspension was completely bottomed out, there was hardware on the ground, and my airbox was now part of my seat. Where the shock linkage bolts to the frame, the steel needle bearing collar was shattered into three peices. My airbox obviously packed up and left for sure, and the front part of the linkage is cracked in weird ways.

Is there any other damage I should look for, besides the shock shaft, axle, and shock mounts?

miller821
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Is this what happened to you?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/400exrider4eva/Misc/BrokenFrame.jpg

This happened to me after landing hard on a double. Once I landed and realized something was wrong I was committed to the next double and thats when I completely bottomed out scraping my pipe and putting a crack in my airbox. Also the needle bearings in the linkage that was connected to it were destroyed, not even to be found.

PismoLocal
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by JimmyHoffa
This is a good story...

I was crusin' along at my local sand flats trying to find my brother and my friend, whom I had become seperated from. I was rollin' along in the middle/top of 5th, and I noticed a big v-shaped ditch about a foot deep right in front of me. Like any quick-thinking rider, I pulled the clutch in, rapped on the throttle, and dumped the clutch to raise the front end. I did, but the impact my rear suspension took broke some serious stuff. As soon as the wheels dropped into the mini-canyon, I heard a loud crack, and the quad came way up and smacked me firmly in the bottom. I stopped, and noticed that my quad's rear suspension was completely bottomed out, there was hardware on the ground, and my airbox was now part of my seat. Where the shock linkage bolts to the frame, the steel needle bearing collar was shattered into three peices. My airbox obviously packed up and left for sure, and the front part of the linkage is cracked in weird ways.

Is there any other damage I should look for, besides the shock shaft, axle, and shock mounts?

I have a rear linkage with good bearings and an air box I will sell you for cheap if your interested.

JimmyHoffa
07-07-2007, 09:07 AM
AAAGGH! Darn. I just bought all the parts. That's what I get for being an impulse-buying mechanic, I guess. I really appreciate the offer, though.