PDA

View Full Version : Need a little 2 stroke help...

rYan01400EX
07-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Alright - looks like I've ended my ATV adventure. I traded my quad in for a Honda CR125. BUT - just because I got a bike doesn't mean I've forgot all you nice men and women in the ATV world.. I have few simple questions and I figured those of you who own/owned one could help out.

- Fouled plugs? Is this supposed to be common? Fouled one 2 days after I had the bike. What can I do to reduce this or help this out?

- What are the most common problems on these bikes? What's some things I should look out for?

- My clutch... It seems to just grab all at once.. I mean like in the snap of the fingers. Is this correct? Sounds like a little adjustment may help. You tell me.

- What is the spark plug you all run in your CR125 IF you have or had one? Mine came with a BPR8ES... Thinking of stepping up to a hotter plug? Good idea or not?

Sorry my questions may be stupid but I have NEVER dealt with a two stroke and I need a little help. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan

07250ex
07-05-2007, 01:50 AM
as for fouled plug you have to ride your bike if u want to cruise leisurly thro trails it was a bad idea getting a 2 stroke either shred those trails!!! or beat up an MX track u can not putt around you have to rev that thing you have to hit the powerband as much as you can dont short shift it

HondaEXrider22
07-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Move up to a 9 for plugs.

07-05-2007, 07:33 AM
as for fouled plug you have to ride your bike if u want to cruise leisurly thro trails it was a bad idea getting a 2 stroke either shred those trails!!! or beat up an MX track u can not putt around you have to rev that thing you have to hit the powerband as much as you can dont short shift it

^^^ thats not true. Just because its a 2 stroke dont mean it should foul plugs because your not riding it hard. A fine tuned 2 stroke wont foul a plug because of the lack of RPMs. You are obviously running it a tad on the rich side, but hey thats ok, its always better to be rich then lean

chris46250r
07-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by HondaEXrider22
Move up to a 9 for plugs.

Yes that will help out alot, putting in one step COLDER when he is already fouling them now with an 8.

zedicus00
07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
you can go hotter is fine. i run a 5 in my 2 strokes, take it one step at a time till you get to whare it works good. also going iridium or silver electrode will help reduce fouling. iriduim plugs are EG i believe. so like a BPR7EG would be a good plug to try.

grabby clutch can be a sign of a lot of things. anything from worn clutch. to needing the oil changed, to posibly being out of adjustement.

actually the smaller engined dirtbikes do like to be revved to the moon pretty much all the time. if you put around a lot they WILL foul plugs. easiest fix is to run a gear lower, if you cruise the trails in third usualy, start running the same speed just wound out more in second gear.

54warrior
07-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Yes that will help out alot, putting in one step COLDER when he is already fouling them now with an 8.

LOL, yeah, I'd try a hotter plug, which would be a 7, not a 9.

Also, you have to run them 125's or it WILL foul the plug. Rev the pi$$ out of that thing while your riding it. If you do that, the 8 should be fine.

smr
07-05-2007, 09:58 AM
be careful who you take advice from.

I have ran 2 strokes all my life and don't believe everything you hear.

If you fouling plugs then your compression is low. Bring a plug with you always. When it gets to the point where you can't ride all day on one plug then rering it..it's really easy and cheap.

DON'T run it to rich. Lots of poeple think this is OK becuase more is better, that simply isn't true. Gas helps cool the motor and the more oil you add only increases tempetures. I don't know how many times i've seen a 2 stroke setting on the side of the trail blowing steam and they had their gas mixed 20:1. I would start at 32:1 one and take it from there. (most run 40:1)

B8ES is the best plug if you ask me (ngk part # 2411) I have ran 7's but that is much hotter plug.

Clutch grabing is most likely your clutch basket. If you remove the clutch cover look at the basket and see if it has small groves in the fingers. You can foul these down and make them smooth but that is only a temp fix. (by a good aftermarket clutch basket)

Don't over rev your bike, true they run better in the meat of the powerband but 2 strokes will not hold up help wide open all the time. Even if your riding down the rode, roll off the throttle every few secounds to allow the oil to do it's job.

A properly tuned 2 stroke and be lugged around just fine.

good luck

m.h.s.c.#527
07-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by smr

If you fouling plugs then your compression is low. Bring a plug with you always. When it gets to the point where you can't ride all day on one plug then rering it..it's really easy and cheap.

DON'T run it to rich. Lots of poeple think this is OK becuase more is better, that simply isn't true. Gas helps cool the motor and the more oil you add only increases tempetures. I don't know how many times i've seen a 2 stroke setting on the side of the trail blowing steam and they had their gas mixed 20:1. I would start at 32:1 one and take it from there. (most run 40:1)

B8ES is the best plug if you ask me (ngk part # 2411) I have ran 7's but that is much hotter plug.

Clutch grabing is most likely your clutch basket. If you remove the clutch cover look at the basket and see if it has small groves in the fingers. You can foul these down and make them smooth but that is only a temp fix. (by a good aftermarket clutch basket)

Don't over rev your bike, true they run better in the meat of the powerband but 2 strokes will not hold up help wide open all the time. Even if your riding down the rode, roll off the throttle every few secounds to allow the oil to do it's job.

A properly tuned 2 stroke and be lugged around just fine.

good luck

i would listen to this guy

CRich[814]
07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
www.pingertalk.com

HondaEXrider22
07-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Sorry, I meant a 7, got mixed up on the way the plugs go.

KXRida
07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
^^^ thats not true. Just because its a 2 stroke dont mean it should foul plugs because your not riding it hard. A fine tuned 2 stroke wont foul a plug because of the lack of RPMs. You are obviously running it a tad on the rich side, but hey thats ok, its always better to be rich then lean

Ah thank god someone on here knows something about 2 strokes!!!!

Yes, a 2 stroke should not by any means foul a plug.

Go jet your bike.

Changing plugs is just a band aid fix and if you go too hot you'll end up burning a hole in your piston. Plus, if you go to a 9, that's a colder plug. The higher the number, the cold the heat range.

KXRida
07-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by smr

yes and no. He is the only one that can determine the proper mix for him. the next time you do a top end, measure the oil in the bottom of the motor. I personally run around a 28ish:1 because I am always wringing my bike out. It was ported mostly for top end and overrev. It's better to run with a hair more lubrication than less. I'd much rather have a little extra oil floating around in my engine than having a seized piston. 32:1 is a good mix. Get a properly running bike (fresh top end, clean filter, fresh gas, etc.) and jet the bike. Jetting is all about consistancy. The more consistant the closer you will get to a perfectly jetted bike. Pick a mix, pick a fuel, and jet for it.

mole97
07-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
Alright - looks like I've ended my ATV adventure. I traded my quad in for a Honda CR125. BUT - just because I got a bike doesn't mean I've forgot all you nice men and women in the ATV world.. I have few simple questions and I figured those of you who own/owned one could help out.

- Fouled plugs? Is this supposed to be common? Fouled one 2 days after I had the bike. What can I do to reduce this or help this out?

- What are the most common problems on these bikes? What's some things I should look out for?

- My clutch... It seems to just grab all at once.. I mean like in the snap of the fingers. Is this correct? Sounds like a little adjustment may help. You tell me.

- What is the spark plug you all run in your CR125 IF you have or had one? Mine came with a BPR8ES... Thinking of stepping up to a hotter plug? Good idea or not?

Sorry my questions may be stupid but I have NEVER dealt with a two stroke and I need a little help. I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ryan That's so funny you did that and are asking that?...I just traded my trx450 for a cr 250 and MMAAANNN what a differance..My first 2 stroke also..And I fould 2 plugs my first time out..It def. takes some getting used to the differance..But I love it...and I can't get over how much CHEAPER everything is!!!I wish I could have both. But for now I'll stick with the bike and when I can afford to I will get another quad..but I'm just havin wayyy too much fun with the bike....I do miss my quad a lot though too..and this site BLOWS AWAY any of the other forums I go on..I do miss it here..:(

z400rida44
07-05-2007, 05:16 PM
yea i had traded my quad for a bike about a year ago and just missed quads too much and had to get another one and i sold the bike. but now im back in the market for another bike and i am also deffinately keeping quad also. theyre just both so much fun in there own ways.

450rJam
07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
your mix ratio is important (and may change with diff oils)

if your going to run 40:1 or higher you better be using a good synthetic (I like klotz, it smells soooo good)

always take an extra plug (so you dont have to push it back)

they are cheap to put in a new top end (usually 100 bucks will get it all)

smr knows what he is talking about

416exfreak
07-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Fouling plugs generally means your premix ratio is to rich...

You may want to let a little freeplay (1/4 inch) into the clutch lever, then fine tune it from there;)

Id go to a hotter plug if I were you though...:o

KXRida
07-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
[B]Fouling plugs generally means your premix ratio is to rich...

not at all, the gas fouls the plug, not the oil. Pick a ratio and jet for the conditions.

After all the two strokes I've owned, I can't remember the last time I fouled a plug. I usually change them every 6 months or every top end.

and yes, klotz is a good oil R50 is a good clean burning well lubricating oil. I also like amsoil dominator. Those are the only two I run.

clutch22
07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
i've owned my 250r since December, and i've never had to change my spark plug. I run 32:1

like a previous person said, fine tune it with different size jets and check your spark plug until it's about a chocolate brown

CRich[814]
07-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
Pick a mix, pick a fuel, and jet for it.

alright steve.

250rAL
07-06-2007, 09:33 AM
I've been riding my 250R since 1990 and I've never fouled a plug. That includes very low speed woods riding, lugging in first gear. As far as 125s go, aren't they on or off, nothing in between?;)

CRich[814]
07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
As far as 125s go, aren't they on or off, nothing in between?;)

kind of. at least stock ones. you have the clutch the **** out of them to keep the r's up so you can get some power.

KXRida
07-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
alright steve.

that's the best way to jet. It's all about consistancy.

Dinner
07-06-2007, 01:01 PM
If you are fouling plugs bad, then yes obviously re-jet. What is your elevation, and jetting right now? Are there any mods done to the bike? If you feel you are running rich(which you are if you are fouling pretty quick) then go out and get some smaller mains. Once you are close with the mains, adjust the needle to fine tune the carb and go do another plug chop.

zack221
07-06-2007, 01:28 PM
You will get better answers at thumpertalk or pingertalk it seems like most ppl on here dont know what they are talking about except for kxrida and a couple others.You need to jet your bike instead of changing your premix ratio.You can get jets at www.chapparalmotorsports.com also here is a guide on how to jet your bike http://users.conwaycorp.net/virtus/jetting.htm http://users.conwaycorp.net/virtus/jetting%20flowchart.htm
and here are some pics of rich plugs,lean plugs,and the way a correctly jetted bikes plug should look.

correctly jetted
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/7/18615213582.jpg

rich plug
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/7/18615213557.jpg

lean plug
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/7/18615213524.jpg

KXRida
07-06-2007, 01:40 PM
you want the first plug to be a little darker. That's still just a hair lean.

zack221
07-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I got all those from a website but with it being that close you could get it perfect with the air screw.

rYan01400EX
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
I also seem to have a hard problem with my strategy.. I tried to pop a wheelie standing up... bad idea.. Couldn't let go of the gas and me and my bike went for a ride.. How do I control this or what's something I can do to teach me to let off the gas if I go back too far? I suck at riding this durn thing but I reckon with a little practice, I'll be good as new.

CRich[814]
07-07-2007, 08:20 AM
that's the best way to jet. It's all about consistancy.

i know, you just sounded like him hah.

How do I control this or what's something I can do to teach me to let off the gas if I go back too far?

don't wheelie unless your in the powerband obviously. because if you hit the powerband in a wheelie, it'll mostlikely flip. it just sounds to me you have to get used to a bike/twist throttle/two stroke. and use the rear brake if you go back too far.

I suck at riding this durn thing but I reckon with a little practice, I'll be good as new.

you'll get a **** ton better every ride. i know my first few rides on a bike i learned so much.

try to post up a pic of your bike.

ZeroLogic
07-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
you'll get a **** ton better every ride. i know my first few rides on a bike i learned so much.

Very true. Don't try any crazy stuff on the bike until you know how to control the throttle and not let if bog out. The clutch with be your bestfriend on a bike. You'll learn how to control the throttle, and arm pump is something to watch out for.:chinese:

KXRida
07-07-2007, 11:36 AM
I've found that if you stretch your arms before riding, you don't get arm pump as much or as bad. Also, grip the bike with your knee's. It will help a lot. If you are doing mx, the biggest mistake of first time riders is they sit too far back. You want to be up on the seat when you're in corners. Almost up on the tank. You'll also want to learn the attack position which is a stand/squat stance with the elbows up, head slightly over the bars, knees straight, butt out a little bit. This is where you'll most likely be in about 90% of your riding. Once you get a little better you can start weighing the outside pegs in corners and carrying more speed.

mx825
07-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
arm pump is something to watch out for.:chinese:

and that's the truth.

ZeroLogic
07-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I just got back from riding, I had arm pump real bad and I couldn't let go of the gas. I was in second gear comming up though two evergreen trees. Caught on some hard pack ground did a wheelie right into a tree's branch and thew my off the bike. My dad was right there to see it all. Good thing I had my gear on or else I would be in the ER.:o

KXRida
07-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I just got back from riding, I had arm pump real bad and I couldn't let go of the gas. I was in second gear comming up though two evergreen trees. Caught on some hard pack ground did a wheelie right into a tree's branch and thew my off the bike. My dad was right there to see it all. Good thing I had my gear on or else I would be in the ER.:o

Seriously try stretching. I stretch a good 15 minutes before riding.

450rJam
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
get a good set of bars

07250ex
07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
i know what ya mean with the wheelie and you couldnt really control it first bike i rode besides an xr 80 years ago was a kx85 and i was a lil far back on the seat and i came out of a corner and i had a straight i was in low second so i nailed the gas that thing came right up and i was moving my thumb and nothing was happening good thing i remembered it was a twist before it was to late lol

ZeroLogic
07-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Seriously try stretching. I stretch a good 15 minutes before riding.

Stretch everything or just the arms? Heres a dumb question too, how do you stretch your arms. I'm not very athletic.:p

Originally posted by 450rJam
get a good set of bars

Tags are the best bars I have and ever rode with.

KXRida
07-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Put one arm horizontal across your chest and put the other arm vertical to your elbow. If everything works out right it should look like a "t." You can do circles to help stretch your upper arms. Put one arm behind your head with your forearm resting on the back of your head and pull your forearm with the opposite arm you are not stretching. Just loosen your muscles up.

450rJam
07-09-2007, 04:39 AM
drop the tail gate and put your finger tips (palms down) on the edge, push down (kind of like playing mercy by yourself)
it will strech your forearms (the worst place I get the pump)

when you get the idea you can use one hand to pull all your fingers back with the oposite hand