PDA

View Full Version : arrghhh

realbeef
07-04-2007, 10:46 PM
alright so i was riding in a sand pit earlyer to day, and i was sliding sideways when my rear tires decided they wanted to come all the way around, so im airborne for about 15 feet, give or take and when i get to my quad to flip it back onto its tires, i notice the my handlebars are all messed up, but its not even the handle bars that are messed up, it the top of the steering stem where my hadlebars mount to, that is bent, and not only that my tires are like this / \, The quad is a 2001 400ex Honda, I really need to know how to fix this, i cant afford anynew parts right now so how could i bend it back with out wrecking anything else.

400exrider707
07-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by realbeef
alright so i was riding in a sand pit earlyer to day, and i was sliding sideways when my rear tires decided they wanted to come all the way around, so im airborne for about 15 feet, give or take and when i get to my quad to flip it back onto its tires, i notice the my handlebars are all messed up, but its not even the handle bars that are messed up, it the top of the steering stem where my hadlebars mount to, that is bent, and not only that my tires are like this / \, The quad is a 2001 400ex Honda, I really need to know how to fix this, i cant afford anynew parts right now so how could i bend it back with out wrecking anything else.

Once metal goes past its yielding point, its never going to be as strong again... if its bent bad, it will probably just break if you try to bend it back.

realbeef
07-05-2007, 11:22 AM
its actually not bent very bad, just annoying, and how do i fix the alignment of my front two tires?

400exrider707
07-05-2007, 12:10 PM
its actually not bent very bad, just annoying, and how do i fix the alignment of my front two tires?

Well I cant really tell you because I dont know in what direction they are bent or how badly... post a pic. I'm guessing its bent tie rods but get a pic or explain it a little better so we can understand. ;)

realbeef
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I dont have a camera, but this is what the look like "/ \" that if i was looking straight at the front of the machine. I hope this helps

400exrider707
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
So the tops of the tires are pointed in towards the frame? I could be bent a-arms, or more likely bent spindles... usually on 400ex's the tie rods bend first, but it would only look like / \ if you were looking straight down on it from the top. Hmm its hard to say without a pic though.

realbeef
07-05-2007, 12:50 PM
no it would be like that "/ \" if I was looking at the front of the quad straight down , so it like this /[]\ pretend that the "[]" is my bumper. and handle bars and that stuff

realbeef
07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
alright well i messed with my tierods today and i got the tire alignment fixed. I didnt think it would be that easy, but i got it, but now i was wondering since i already have a thread, how do I adjsut the shocks on the front, I understand what I have to turn but how do I turn it, do I have to take the shock off, or do i need a special wrench to do it? please help me.

400exrider707
07-06-2007, 06:39 AM
no it would be like that "/ \" if I was looking at the front of the quad straight down , so it like this /[]\ pretend that the "[]" is my bumper. and handle bars and that stuff

If you fixed this by adjusting your tie rods then your tires are doing / \ this while you are looking down at it from the top, like you are on the ceiliing looking down at your quad...

What type of shocks are you using on the front?

realbeef
07-06-2007, 11:58 PM
yeah thats what I said, right? at least i thought i made it easy, oh well np, im just using the POS stock 400ex shocks, ugh i hate em

07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure 400ex shocks arnt adjustable.

400exrider707
07-09-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
I'm pretty sure 400ex shocks arnt adjustable.

They are preload adjustable. Basically the adjustments you make on them you wont notice. Its more of a selling gimmick than anything, but if you do want to try it out, they do make tools to turn those. A screwdriver and hammer have worked for some people as well...;)

realbeef
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
ok well thx for the advice, I just used my mongo plyers that i have here at home :D worked like a charm, although i really didnt notice any difference in landing comming off jumps, still feels rough after 10 feet or so of air on a well built landing, and dont even ask about flats lol ;)

400exrider707
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
ok well thx for the advice, I just used my mongo plyers that i have here at home :D worked like a charm, although i really didnt notice any difference in landing comming off jumps, still feels rough after 10 feet or so of air on a well built landing, and dont even ask about flats lol ;)

I dont have to ask, been there, done that... stock 400ex front shocks are about the worst thing out there....haha