View Full Version : clacking sound

CarGuy7a
07-04-2007, 10:10 PM
i've noticed on my 400 when i'm going down hills and using the back brakes when they get to the point where the rear almost locks up it makes a weird clacking sound.

my buddy says his does the same thing.

also i've noticed the chain has a shiny spot on the bottom half of the links if you are looking at the left side of the quad. my buddies 400's have the same look to their chains.

weird thing is i've looked and looked and looked and cannot find anywhere on the frame or the driver sprocket guard where the chain maybe hitting it. everything still has the paint on it.

any ideas where the sound or the rubbing is?

honda300EXtreme
07-04-2007, 10:31 PM
your brake pads could be shot or your rotor might be bent

250x_kyle
07-05-2007, 08:12 AM
could be your chain bumping ur swingarm skid or grinding on it. and as he said ur pads could be about junk and a bent rotor. my chain is shiny on the bottom side but its because the slack you need in the chain so it doesnt strech will let it grind on the swingarm skid at low rpms.

CarGuy7a
07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
well i do need new pads (which i've ordered already) but what i'm sayin is this thing has done this since it was brand new so.

yeah i think it's prob the slack in it too. it's probably slapping against the plastic chain slider deals making that sound. i also know it's probably normal b/c 2 of my friends have 400's and their quads both do the same thing so.

mod440ex
07-06-2007, 01:38 AM
if you have a swingarm it may be rubbing on your swingarm. does it make the noise if your jumping or any other time?

CarGuy7a
07-06-2007, 02:46 AM
nope just when braking goin down hills. the only thing different is my swingarm guard, but the chain clearence is the same as with the stock guard.

CarGuy7a
07-06-2007, 02:49 AM
i'm gonna check out the brakes and put my p-brake block off on and new pads tomorrow night depending on if i get my parts in time.

rooney
07-07-2007, 10:18 AM
the chain problem could be the chain hitting the lip of the front sproket

CarGuy7a
07-08-2007, 02:03 AM
ok so i rode it this weekend with the new pads and the brake rotor is not bent. still the same sound. it doesn't really sound like a metal to metal sound. i think it's just the chain slack slapping the plastic chain guides when the brakes lock up.