PDA

View Full Version : Head Studs

Ridetrikes250R
07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
how many people are running them, i called around to some shops, CT and Trinity...etc... and ct doesnt run head studs and trinity offers them. iam talking about 440 kits, thanks
Adam

GOTFEAR
07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Well if you have the extra $$$$ 80.00 i would do it

zrpilot
07-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Got them in my 416.... just for reliability

EX LONERIDER
07-04-2007, 11:18 PM
just an observation but it seems most of it is hype. i think all the guys that race em should use em cus they run the piss out of the motor but, for people that do rec type riding dont need em. another reason is high compression. i think the 12:1+ people need em to avoid pulling em out.

i didnt use em after seing who did em and who didnt. i was told by quite a few people that they havent had problems with the stock ones. just keep it cool, dont run too high a compression, and dont run the piss out of it and it should be fine. just my $0.02

Ruby Soho
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
i have 11:1 CP on mine, i blew one and i wasnt riding hard at all, never WOT, maybe tops of 2nd gear. i was learning on it still.

i think its a must, id rather be safe than sorry

GPracer2500
07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
I ran them. After seen the problems a friend of mine had before he installed them I didn't think twice about using them.

Some people may be ok with the stock studs. Things like: What is the actual assembled compression ratio? (unless you measure it you never really know) Is your fuel's octane rating borderline acceptable (i.e. does it knock occasionally)? How hard to you run the engine? How fresh was the tap at the Honda factory that made the threads in your cylinder? And on and on....

There's lots of little things that can add up to making the difference. Just because someone else does or does not have problems doesn't mean too much. There's still a half way decent chance that YOU will have stud problems. The more powerful you're engine the greater that chance becomes.

I say get them no matter what. I'd rather over build then under build. The extra expense will soon be forgotten, but the extra reliability is a long-lasting advantage.

REDRIDDER
07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
just an observation but it seems most of it is hype. i think all the guys that race em should use em cus they run the piss out of the motor but, for people that do rec type riding dont need em. another reason is high compression. i think the 12:1+ people need em to avoid pulling em out.

i didnt use em after seing who did em and who didnt. i was told by quite a few people that they havent had problems with the stock ones. just keep it cool, dont run too high a compression, and dont run the piss out of it and it should be fine. just my $0.02 .................................................. .................................................. ........................ I x2 that i have a 426ex no hd studs,but i also have a new sleeve from LA sleeve that's thicker than the stock sleeve but bored out to a 426 and i also have the room to go bigger to the 440 in the futrue.Yes i think that with the sleeve i have installed i shouldn't have any problems with heat breaking down the aluminum and studs pulling out cause my sleeve will absorb the heat better(its thicker) and is not so thin that the cylinder takes in the heat,the thinner your sleeve yes the more heat your going to dissipate through the cylinder making the aluminum weak= stud damage.

chris46250r
07-05-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER

i didnt use em after seing who did em and who didnt. i was told by quite a few people that they havent had problems with the stock ones. just keep it cool, dont run too high a compression, and dont run the piss out of it and it should be fine. just my $0.02

"Dont run the piss out of it" Thats all the more reason to use the head studs.

limetimeracerII
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM
I have a 440 with stock studs and I haven't had any problems. I have a wiseco 11:1 piston and run 93 pump. I also race cross country and have had the motor caked with mud banging off the rev limiter. I'm not saying bigger headstuds are a bad idea, but not using them doesn't mean you'll be blowing head gaskets all the time. I've never blown one or had any trouble from mine.

chris46250r
07-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Look at it this way. $75 - $80 and put them in while you have it apart to begin with, one less thing to worry about. Or wait to see if you have problems then spend the $75 - $80 plus new gaskets and more than likely a ruined day riding or a DNF at the track. Nothing but good ole fashioned INSURANCE the way I see it.

F-16Guy
07-06-2007, 10:48 AM
They are the best $100 you'll spend on your build. My 416 ran for a while with the stock studs, but then, on the starting line for the first race of the 2006 season, the ol' head gasket crapped out. I had the studs done by GT Thunder and haven't had another problem yet. Don't go cheap on this step, you'll regret it later.

PismoLocal
07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
I agree with every one else, well worth the money for reliability and piece of mind. If you blow 2 headgastets you already lost the money it would have taken to install HD studs in the fist place.

flauge
07-06-2007, 03:24 PM
^^ Yup:cool: . Do it right or do it over..;)