PDA

View Full Version : prolly the most challenging question for a ford pickup machanical question

redracing88
07-04-2007, 08:08 PM
ok i havent been on here in a while but anyone with experience or think they know what it is wrong please read the following. i dont need no stupid answer like its beacuse its a ford neither.

i have the following problem. i recently did a motor swap in my pickup from a 302 to a 351 h.o. it starts up runs but when giving gas instead of advancing the timing like on a normal engine it retards the timing. but if we slowy give it gas and chase the rpms with the distributor it winds all the way up. but if you put it at 10 degrees btc which is the normal setting and then give it some juice you can watch the timing marks go from 10 to 20 thus retarding the timing.

if anyone has any info or input please reply

thank you

travis

smr
07-05-2007, 06:58 AM
just a guess but it sounds to me like an intake or vacum problem. If you rev up fast then you aren't getting enough vacum to advance the timing so this inturn retards it. If you go slow you are getting enough vacum to advance it slowly.

I would check the vacum lines all the way back to (I'm assuming carburater) the carb. Then make sure your carb has vacum. If that isn't it then I would be looking at swopping the carb.

good luck

ZSK
07-05-2007, 09:17 AM
What years are you talking here? What did you use 302 wise for the swap?

ugottabayou
07-05-2007, 10:54 AM
How old is the truck?

My mustang had a similar problem. My vaccuum advance on my distributor wasn't working properly. I just ended up buying a new distributor because a new advance pump was almost the same price as a rebuilt distributor with a new pump.

KXRida
07-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Yea you guys already said it, but it sounds like a vaccum advance problem. I'll ask my brother he's pretty much a 351 god haha.

what's all done to the 351?