PDA

View Full Version : Standard Travel or Long Travel A-Arms

damian600
07-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Can someone please explain all of the differences between long and standard travel a arms. I dont race, just ride recreationally track and trails. If money is not an issue should I go with the long travel a arms. What are some good choices of a arms and shocks.

damian600
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys

mx1791
07-06-2007, 04:34 PM
just do a search, theres tons of info on the differences of long travel and standard. read some info and pick what you want and order it...

damian600
07-07-2007, 12:39 AM
i want input and advice from from people, isnt that the purpose of forums. I tried searching, and I dont have time to filter through all the other bull**** that comes up

fastyz85
07-07-2007, 08:03 AM
well long travel a arms give you more travel and usually requare an 18-20" shock. these setups are for the racers who really need a good suspension with a lot of travel.

standard travel a arms use the same size shock as your stocker which is asbout 16 inches and these are more suited for the rec rider who won't really put his quad in a lot of abuse.

both come in sizes longer than stock.

rebelbanshee
07-07-2007, 08:19 AM
get standard shock arms. The only thing long shock arms do is allow easier valving and lighten your wallet.

mx1791
07-07-2007, 05:32 PM
since you dont race and you like trails your best bet is standard travel a arms and some nice tcs shocks. the long travel would be a more finely tuned, smoother ride, but a new standard travel a arm/shock combo will still feel 10,000,000,000x better then stock.
talk to someone from C&D racing, im sure they will help you choose whats best for you, and you'll have a front end in no time. but dont forget to get a wider axle also.

TBD
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by fastyz85

well long travel a arms give you more travel and usually requare an 18-20" shock. these setups are for the racers who really need a good suspension with a lot of travel.

standard travel a arms use the same size shock as your stocker which is asbout 16 inches and these are more suited for the rec rider who won't really put his quad in a lot of abuse.

both come in sizes longer than stock.

I'm sure you are young and still learning but for your info "LT" arms should be reffered to as "LS" arms because it is not wheel travel that you gain by using a "LT" arm. Standard travel and "LT's" can have the same travel. The big difference is that by using a longer shock and moving the mount out and possibly below the arm gives you more shaft speed so like said above it makes it less noticeable when valving and springs are off a little. The only thing other then shaft speed that the "LT's" offer is a little more stability in the corners as well. I can make a standard travel frontend work just as good as a "LT" frontend.

Chino886
07-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Yup, TBD is right fellas!

Or find out the hard way, buy a set of LT arms and shocks, send out some ST shocks to be resprung/revalved and see if you can tell the difference!

But is you want someone to build you a set of great a-arms ;) , I know someone who can!

400exrider707
07-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Its a sticky at the top of the page, its more or less anything you want to know about steering/handling and suspensions... if you have any more questions post it in there, and I will be glad to try and help you out. TBD pretty much nailed it though...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&perpage=13&pagenumber=2

fastyz85
07-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TBD
I'm sure you are young and still learning but for your info "LT" arms should be reffered to as "LS" arms because it is not wheel travel that you gain by using a "LT" arm. Standard travel and "LT's" can have the same travel. The big difference is that by using a longer shock and moving the mount out and possibly below the arm gives you more shaft speed so like said above it makes it less noticeable when valving and springs are off a little. The only thing other then shaft speed that the "LT's" offer is a little more stability in the corners as well. I can make a standard travel frontend work just as good as a "LT" frontend.

o:rolleyes: thanks for the correction i just thought thats what LT arms did.

400exrider707
07-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by fastyz85
o:rolleyes: thanks for the correction i just thought thats what LT arms did.

The term long travel is a marketing gimmick. In some cases it can offer more travel, but so can a pair of standard travel aftermarket or rebuilt shocks.