PDA

View Full Version : So Expensive....Is it worth it?

bah1491
07-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Ive been racing this entire season as much as i can, but i stopped for about four weeks.... and its kinda hard to get started again. Ive dumped so much money into my quad, a 14ft enclosed trailer, race fees, traveling fees, and everything else you can imagine....Is it worth for the C class with no payouts, just a damn plaque? As much as I absoultley love racing im just starting to wonder if its time for me to make the change to dirt track and follow what my family has built over the years.... I definetley have the resources to get started. The money i have in my quad, i could have a damn nice modified.... Let me know what you guys think!

killerofcrows48
07-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I would do the one that I liked the best. But, have you ever driven a dirt track car?

PS. We have the same last name! :eek:

bah1491
07-04-2007, 01:03 PM
ive ran go karts, but i ended that in like 5th grade and never got started back up....my other thoughts are, with my buisness, i cant afford to get hurt, or have a broken arm/leg....ive got 32 lawn care accounts that keep me busy throughout the week.... i kinda like the idea of a roll cage....

killerofcrows48
07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by bah1491
i kinda like the idea of a roll cage....

Probably a good idea to ditch quad racing...are you planning on selling the quad and putting that money into a car? or are you going to keep the quad? You could always just keep the quad and ride leisurely.

bah1491
07-04-2007, 02:17 PM
That quad is not built to ride leisurley, IMO that is.... but yes, my trailer and quad would go up for sale and money would go straight into a car....

CHEVYZ
07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I would definately go to dirt track.

bah1491
07-04-2007, 02:19 PM
Im thinkg i will have to wait maybe this year out, and continue with the quads for now, once i get my trailer loan paid off, i will make the switch....

TWISTED DINLI
07-04-2007, 03:25 PM
IMO i would do the car racing if it pays. because just getting the trailer and everything then putting all that money in your quad to race it in the C class, the only thing that you get back is a plaque.

400exrider707
07-04-2007, 08:22 PM
At the end of the day its all about doing what you love....

My dad always brings up the subject of "what if I get hurt" ....

well what if you get hurt walking to your truck in the morning? What if a bomb falls out of the sky on your head? Sure racing an atv is more likely to get you hurt, but I love this sport and Im not giving this up for anything. I drive a 10 year old truck that is falling apart and cant seem to save enough for a down payment for anything new... thats ok with me though, quads are a very important part of my life. Whats the point of having any hobbies if you're going to worry about stuff like work? Isn't that why most of us do it in the first place, to forget about the stresses of life? If racing quads is stressing you out, then maybe its time for a sport change...

mineralgrey01gt
07-04-2007, 08:27 PM
thats a late model isnt it? If not what else is the modified class called? We have cars that look like those that race here called late models and super stocks

honda4life72
07-04-2007, 08:30 PM
tt race quads , i do ,it is the same thing as dirt track , ( all the up keep on tires and such ) or well same idea i guess , but u have all that u could have a real fast bike , and run a money class

bah1491
07-05-2007, 01:42 PM
yea, those are late models in the picture....thats our shop next door to my house. for the money i have in my qquad, i could run a modifed class and make much more money....im not in it for the money though, im just thinking in the long run, if i plan on racing later in my life and get to the point where my family has been, i will have to get into a sport that pays back. But *******, i love riding my quad so much

Sjorge450R
07-05-2007, 03:45 PM
yea, those are late models in the picture....thats our shop next door to my house. for the money i have in my qquad, i could run a modifed class and make much more money....im not in it for the money though, im just thinking in the long run, if i plan on racing later in my life and get to the point where my family has been, i will have to get into a sport that pays back. But *******, i love riding my quad so much

i have no fkcing idea what i am going to do when i go to college next fall. I wont have my quad! Thats what I use to releave my stress, and let me tell you. It works! I would never give it up.

esr250r86
07-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I spend a crap load of money on my quad like parts,all the regular stuff like oil , going to races which includes paying gas for my dads suburban to pull our 18ft heavy as heck enclosed trailer race fees,practice fees etc.Also staying at a motel when I go to races because I dont have a motorhome, food, and I work at a part time job so All the money I get from my job I use to go to the races. But in the end its all worth it since I love riding and racing my quad, It definitely is an expensive sport but Its definitely worth it when the days over. Stay with quads if you can or do what you like.:)

300racer
07-05-2007, 08:48 PM
thats the shop next to your house? i would love to live there. that looks like terry phillips cars? its been a few years since i watched latemodels tho

54warrior
07-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by 300racer
thats the shop next to your house? i would love to live there. that looks like terry phillips cars? its been a few years since i watched latemodels tho

Try Bart Hartman.

Bart Hartman Dot Com (http://www.barthartman.com/home.html)

bah1491
07-06-2007, 07:32 AM
yessir, we just built that about two years ago....its capable of housing six cars, 120' lower level truck bay....the only thing we dont do in-house anymore is the engine building....my dad used to do that but hes been losing his eye sight due to diabetes.

tat900
07-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Take it from me I race tt then made the switch over to modifieds. Either one is not cheap . You may get paid 75.00 to start a feature but the fuel to haul race car and then i paid my pitpass and my crews pitpasses and the fuel for the car I was already 150-200 in the hole not including what we tore up on the car . usually a nite of racing and not tearing anything up id be 300 a nite . YOu make top 3 you break even . I recently sold out and decided to take a break. Race cars are another job id put in 20 hours a week easily on maintance and repairs . I will tell you even with a cage a shot to a wall hurts . I will tell you money wise i had over 25 grand in my race car and it was a used chassis and I had a decent motor .

Gray33
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
what kind of quad do you have because i am interseted in a 450r. by the way i would get into the car racing and go to eldorea

jrm03
07-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Off topic guy, but was just wondering if you guys ever run the ZVille track since its right in your backyard? Seems like you guys have everything to support a race team so why not? I'm near Coshocton and head down there for the Fall Classic.

bah1491
07-06-2007, 10:43 PM
by z-ville track, im assuming you mean muskingum speedway? we dont very often, unless its a decent payout....no, i dont have a 450r to sell you

what kind of quad do you have because i am interseted in a 450r. by the way i would get into the car racing and go to eldorea If i got into racing next year, i wouldnt waste my money going to eldora, far too much competition.

tat- i see where youre coming from....but i guess i could put it this way....my family knows a lot of people, now before i start saying anything else, everbody knows a lot of people, (and no my families not better than anyone elses ) but finding a car, we have connections, finding a motor? my dad built motors for 28 years, so, i guess i dont have all the expenses that some racers do, because of so many available resources.....

I think all that made sense??:confused:

mineralgrey01gt
07-06-2007, 11:50 PM
man i say work into racing modified then work into the World Of Outlaws (if you can manage to do that)

jrm03
07-07-2007, 06:23 AM
Moran's in your neck of the woods, I am sure theres connections there engine wise.

bah1491
07-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Moran's in your neck of the woods, I am sure theres connections there engine wise.

thats funny....buy an engine from moran? i think we would be building one haha....as i mentioned, my dad built late model, chevy small blocks for 30 years....

firefighterjosh
07-09-2007, 04:43 AM
If I had the choice I would quite racing quads in a heart beat and be on one of those cars.

I would love to race one of those. For a while I was looking for a team to race for but I have no racing experince and to tell you the truth I think I would be better at it then Atv racing.

But its too much money for me to start.

tat900
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
man i say work into racing modified then work into the World Of Outlaws (if you can manage to do that)

Not to sound mean or harsh but do you know what it takes money wise to run in world of outlaws sprint or latemodel team?
The money to run a team for one season can reach over 600 grand a year easily to run a competitive team. Car racing is very additicing and can be a great hobby but money wise is it worth it depends on how big you wanna go .

tat900
07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
by z-ville track, im assuming you mean muskingum speedway? we dont very often, unless its a decent payout....no, i dont have a 450r to sell you

If i got into racing next year, i wouldnt waste my money going to eldora, far too much competition.

tat- i see where youre coming from....but i guess i could put it this way....my family knows a lot of people, now before i start saying anything else, everbody knows a lot of people, (and no my families not better than anyone elses ) but finding a car, we have connections, finding a motor? my dad built motors for 28 years, so, i guess i dont have all the expenses that some racers do, because of so many available resources.....

I think all that made sense??:confused:

Ohh you make sense and to me I understand that alot . I do alot of enging work myself but its the little things in racing that will nickel and dime you to death . I love dirt track racing its in my blood but after last year I sold out at the end of season . Its getting to a point were there outpricing the sport. Is it still worth it to me yes and no . I do not miss the headache and stress of running a car, but I do miss being out there and having a car

bah1491
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
i would love to get into the WoO series at the age of 16 haha....to bad thats not realistic....its a nice dream....those sprint cars, they cost more than a late model does to build, the engines have to be completley overhauled every few races. another thing, haulers! I have about 3 grand in my enclosed trailer....my uncle just bought a brand new freightliner classic, and its been at s&s welding to have box put on it, and a two car trailer with a lift gate....you do the math....

Examples of hauler type, lift gate style trailer (http://www.ssweldinginc.com)

tat900
07-10-2007, 08:34 AM
If I was goin to get into dirt track racing I would get into a 4 cylinder class to get experience . I have seen alot of guys jump straight into a modifed and tear alot of stuff up and others cars up.

Bah those haulers are so nice I could only imagine having one . I had enclosed for a while but there such a pain at the car wash . I bought a open latemodel trailer to haul my modified and it was so much easier to load unload and pull thorughto wash car. I know latemodels have been out of hand for alot guys here and thats why you dont see alot of weekly races at the tracks. Modifieds are getting that way too. Racing was fun few years ago and now its all about money. Alot guys here wont load there car up for less than 5 grand to win show and I understand why . Will I ever get another mod Maybe but Im looking at 305 wingless sprint cars to run becasue there so cheap to build and cost to maintain is alot less

bah1491
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I hate money, the government should just eliminate it haha! Then we could have free racing and it would be fun!