PDA

View Full Version : 300EX, Neutral and Reverse issues

messenger13
07-04-2007, 02:56 AM
My 300EX shifts very easily . . . from 1 to 5, and back down to 1. But finding Neutral can be a real pain in the butt sometimes. :mad: Almost impossible! Especially when the quad is standing still.

Also, it goes into Reverse easily. But pushing the handle down to get her outta Reverse is quite difficult.

I'm going to change all the fluids soon, and I'm hoping that's the cure for these issues. Any comments would be appreciated.

XCAdam89
07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Trying to find neutral is tricky at first, mainly because neutral is only a "Half-Click" up from 1st, and most of the time you end up going to second by accident. Rock the quad back and forth and it's sometimes easier....for me anyways. You can always pull in the clutch and start it in gear anyways.

honda300EXtreme
07-04-2007, 11:41 AM
yea, i would adjust the clutch cable and you can also rev the quad while trying to slip it into neutral. and with reverse i would first check to make sure the lever is tightly on the shaft.

messenger13
07-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Just as an FYI . . . I put about 40K miles a year on street bikes. So needless to say, I know how to find Neutral on a bike. I know all the little tricks to finding Neutral :cool: . But this 300EX is really being stubborn. It's easy to find Neutral if I'm rolling to a stop . . . but once stopped, forget it.

Basically, I only need to find Neutral when I want to use Reverse. And that typically comes at a time when you're stopped in the woods or in a mud pit.

messenger13
07-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
yea, i would adjust the clutch cable and you can also rev the quad while trying to slip it into neutral. and with reverse i would first check to make sure the lever is tightly on the shaft.
Clutch cable is adjusted, as well as the reverse lever.

I'm hoping a fluid change will resolve this stuff. I was hoping someone had the same experience.

honda300EXtreme
07-04-2007, 12:41 PM
yea mines tuff to get into neutral also but i just rev it a little and it slips right in,

messenger13
07-04-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by honda300EXtreme
yea mines tuff to get into neutral also but i just rev it a little and it slips right in, I was just out riding and playing with it a little. Seems like revving it and letting out the clutch a tad helps me find Neutral.

I guess this issue is far better than hitting false Neutrals. That would be really bad as you're climbing a steep incline. EXTREMELY BAD! :eek:

mike maddrell
07-04-2007, 07:26 PM
ive been having the same problem. next oil change im going back to dino oil. last change i used full synthetic and i think it may be the culprit. let us know what you do and what it does different.

67mopar
07-04-2007, 08:18 PM
im having the same problem with reverse, its easy to engage it, but to disengage it and put it back into nuetral can get pretty hard.

messenger13
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by mike maddrell
ive been having the same problem. next oil change im going back to dino oil. last change i used full synthetic and i think it may be the culprit. let us know what you do and what it does different. I'm changing the oil/filter tomorrow . . . I'll report back. FWIW, I'll be using Repsol 15W/50 dino oil.

dork
07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
the clutch basket and or clutch hub are getting grooved so the plates can't separate when you disengage it, especially with a load on it like when taking it out of gear. revving it frees the plates up for a second.