PDA

View Full Version : motor work

10-28-2001, 09:00 AM
Has anyone in here ever installed a piston, cam, rockerarms, and valve springs in there 400ex. If so how how hard is it. I have the service manual. I want to do it myself to save money I all ready spent alot for the parts. Also about how long did it take you to do it.

thanks

beerock
10-28-2001, 10:35 AM
If you odnt know what your doing I would be very skeptical about building a motor.

you definately need a GOOD toruqe wrench(the kind that clicks) not the kind with that stupid piece of metal that tells you how much pressure you are aplying.

I think you need some special tools too to check the valve lash. Like a feeler gauge.
remember, you get what you pay for!

Tommy 17
10-28-2001, 11:30 AM
i am gettin a guy to do mine at 25$ a hour thats pretty cheap a dealership told me 40. i wouldn't trust myself its to risky.

10-28-2001, 04:25 PM
I recently put an oversized piston, cam, cam chain, rockers, valve springs, etc., in my son's 300ex and I assume they are similar. I have the Clymer manual and the Honda manual and it was a challenging project especially because I put in a high compression piston with a higher dome and a cam with more lift and longer duration. I had to use clay in the valve pockets to determine if there was enough clearance. The job also requires a valve spring compressor, torque wrench, ring compressor is helpful,and misc. handtools. It is doable if you follow the manuals carefully, use the right tools, and don't rush or force anything along the way. You can save a lot of money and know it is done right. Good luck.

nakomis0
10-28-2001, 06:57 PM
I did almost all my work myself with a manual. If your mechanically inclined shouldn't be to bad. Just take your time and do it right. If it takes you a week, than it takes a week.

One thing I do recommend is you get the valve work done by a professional (springs,stems,ect.) I looked and read that crap in the manual, and didn't have a clue, plus you need special tools.

Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

EX 80
10-28-2001, 07:25 PM
I did all my motor work my self except the valves. I had my head done by a professional, i gave it to them and said port it, give it a 3 angle valve job and inspect everything to make sure its up to spec.