PDA

View Full Version : 400EX problems

jfor
07-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey guys... I am at my wits end. 2 months ago I had to split the case and replace the 2nd gear on the mainshaft. Had to replace it because some metal got in the case and ate up 2nd gear. not sure where the metal came from but I bought the bike used.

I got fed up with dealing with it not shifting right. When I say not shifting right, I mean it is hard as hell going to 2nd gear and so on and it is impossible to find neutral now. After screwing around with it for so long I took it the shop to have them look at it. They have had for 2 months and they can't figure it out either. They say everything is perfectly put back together.

Is there anything I can have them look at or try? Should I just get another lowerend and be done with it?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

86 Quad R
07-03-2007, 04:05 PM
when you took it down to replace the 2nd gear did you inspect everthing carefully and see if things were to spec(in accordance with the servce manual)?

how did/does the clutch basket/inner hub look? are there any grooves?

guinness77
07-06-2007, 12:14 AM
For what it's worth, I had shifting problems that just wouldn't go away until I tried changing the way I shift.

Now.. I pull in the clutch, shift with my foot, THEN release the clutch, THEN release the foot lever. (I also had to try out several oils). The new shifting technique (along with a new oil) did the job. No more shifting probs here.

Good Luck.

jfor
07-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by jfor
Hey guys... I am at my wits end. 2 months ago I had to split the case and replace the 2nd gear on the mainshaft. Had to replace it because some metal got in the case and ate up 2nd gear. not sure where the metal came from but I bought the bike used.

I got fed up with dealing with it not shifting right. When I say not shifting right, I mean it is hard as hell going to 2nd gear and so on and it is impossible to find neutral now. After screwing around with it for so long I took it the shop to have them look at it. They have had for 2 months and they can't figure it out either. They say everything is perfectly put back together.

Is there anything I can have them look at or try? Should I just get another lowerend and be done with it?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

I did chek everything. Everything was well within spec. It just would not shift past 3rd gear. The Honda shop even cannot figure it out. I have ordered a lowerend from a guy off of ebay. We'll see how that works out.

Sparky_20
07-06-2007, 10:00 PM
it sounds like a shift fork/shift lever problem to me.

tim colston
07-09-2007, 09:12 AM
^^^^ That was my first thought. Bent shift fork.

Sparky_20
07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
it could also be a bent shaft causing binding. Did you place the shafts of v blocks and measure with a dial indicator for runout?