PDA

View Full Version : Alba pipe problems, not good!

Ride1Rob
07-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Alil over a year ago I purchased an Alba full system for my YFZ. About 4-5 months after I purchased the pipe I had to rivet the front of the canister with more rivets because the originals were falling out. I had no problems with the pipe until a couple of months ago. I started noticing that my rear end cap was being pushed out of the canister. The screws were not tight but they weren't so loose that they were about to come out. I recently had some major motor mods done and think that maybe the added backpressure had something to do with this. It got so bad that the holes were beginning to be an oval. Then the header snapped in two where it bolts up the head. I e mailed Alba and at first a guy named Paul tried to help me out. He asked me to send him pics of the pipe and I did. I also sent him pics of my bike to show him that NOTHING was ragged on. He then tells me he'd sell me a header for $80 or another system for $325. I'm not paying over $300 for a pipe that has crapped out on me in alil over a year. I explained this him and he sent my case to the parts manager. I began receiving emails from the parts manager (Marc) and he let me know that he was looking into this for me on the 27th of last month. I had heard nothing else from him until today after I emailed him asking him if he found anything and if he wanted me to give him a call. Marc is a nice guy and seems like he's genuine. But it seems it's waste of time to send it out for him to look at it if it only carries a six month warranty. What do you guys think I should do? Here are the emails we sent to each other...

To Paul at Alba on 6/23
I have an 04 YFZ450 with your Alba full system on it. Today my header pipe snapped where it bolts onto the head. I was riding and all of a sudden the bike got loud. I knew that something had come apart and shut it off. Upon inspection, that's what I found. Is this a common problem? Also, would I be able to get another header? Thanx!

From Paul
How long have you had the pipe? Also can you take a picture of the exhaust pipe and email it to me.

Thank You

Paul in the internet department

800-487-3236

858-486-4380 ext 234

Email to Paul
Thanx for the rapid response! I've had the pipe for about a year now. It's been a really good pipe and I love the sound as well as the power. I checked the rest of the pipe last nite and my canister screws on the rear are basically pushing themselves horizontal out of the back of the pipe. May be from the backpressure of the motor mods that I have. How much would it run me just for the can and a header? Or do you have to sale the whole kit? Thanx again!

Also sent that same email to Cory Hove and this is his reply
Please call our parts dept. toll free so they can help you. 800 487 3236. It is very infrequent but I have seen it happen.

Cory

Back to Paul
Here are the pics:

Pics (2196) and (2197) are where the header broke underneath the bracket.
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210878
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210879

Pics (2190) and (2191) are both sides of the rear canister where the end cap is being forced out from the backpressure. These screws have been found a little loose on occasion and are being forced out thus causing damage to the rear of the canister.
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210888
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210889

Pic (2193) is the front of the can where I had to add extra rivets because the regular ones were coming loose. Once the extra rivets were added I've had no other problems from those (This was done a few months after I got the pipe).
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210890

Pic (2195) is a shot of the complete cannister.
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210891

I threw in another pic (2207) so that you can see that my quad is not ragged on. Thanx!
http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=210892

From Paul
I can sell you the header pipe for $80.00 or I could sell you a new full system for $325.00. Please let me know what you would like to do.

Thank You

Paul in the internet department

800-487-3236

858-486-4380 ext 234

My Reply to Paul
Paul, I've been satified with the performance of this pipe for the year that I've had it and love the sound. But to have to repurchase a new pipe every year because it won't hold up? I'm pretty sure you'd be disappointed if you were in my shoes as well. A couple of years ago a friend of mine had one of your pipes on his bike and his header cracked as well. He took it back to the dealer he purchased it from and the dealer called Alba. One of your guys at Alba told him (the dealer) something about it being an older design and you guys had come up with something better because of durability issues. You replaced his pipe with the three piece Alba and had it next dayed to the dealer. I was so impressed that I purchased one while he (the dealer) was on the phone with one of your guys via credit card. Here I am a year later, and this thing is falling apart worse than his was? You saw the pics where it's coming apart! You see that the pipe has no dings and hasn't been ragged on. You see what kind of condition my bike is in as well. If I purchase the header and ride it I may get 2 more rides out of it before the can craps completely. If I purchase another system, that'll be over $700 that I've spent in a year alone on the same pipe! That just doesn't make any sense to me. Is it because I didn't go back to the dealer and go through him that I have to pay so much? If you can tell me that this sounds right to you and if you were in my shoes, you'd be comfortable with what you're offering me I'll move on. Thankyou for your time...

Email from parts manager Marc Caravaggio
SCOTT, THE PROBLEM THAT YOU’RE EXPERIENCING WITH OUR EXHAUST SYSTEM HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION AND RAISES A CONCERN TO ME. DO YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL INVOICE FROM WHEN YOU PURCHASED THE EXHAUST SYSTEM FROM US? IF SO, THERE IS AN INVOICE NUMBER ON THE TOP PORTION OF THE SHEET THAT WILL ALLOW ME TO REPRINT A COPY OF IT. IF NOT, UNDER WHAT NAME AND ROUGHLY WHAT DATE DID YOU PURCHASE THE EXHAUST? UNFORTUNATELY, I WILL NOT BE IN THE OFFICE FOR THE NEXT TWO DAYS BUT AS SOON AS I RETURN, I WILL BE SURE TO LOOK INTO THIS FURTHER. I’M SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS HAS CAUSED YOU AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN WORK TOGETHER TO FIND A RESOLUTION. THANK YOU.

Marc Caravaggio

Parts Manager

Alba Action Sports

(858)486-4380 X.204

(858)679-7947 fax

Email to Marc on 6/27
Hello Marc and thankyou for looking into my problem. I purchased the pipe from a dealer by the name of Richard Owes. The shops name is Southern ATV. I don't remember the exact date when it was purchased. I think I used my debit card for the transaction. The pipe was shipped to his shop and he gave me the pipe in the box but no invoice. He also said that he had something else shipped for another customer with the pipe. If you need anything else let me know and thanx again!

After hearing nothing from Marc, I emailed him back today
Marc, just seeing if you found anything on my order info yet. Would it better if I gave you a call? Thanx!

email from Marc
SCOTT, WITHOUT HAVING AN ORIGNAL INVOICE IT’S GOING TO BE HARD TO WARRANTY. I CAN ONLY SUGGEST THAT YOU SEND THE PIPE IN SO WE CAN TAKE A LOOK AT IT AND WE’LL GO FROM THERE. LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS.

Marc Caravaggio
Parts Manager
Alba Action Sports
(858)486-4380 X.204
(858)679-7947 fax

Email to Marc
So is it just the invoice that you need or the proof of date when it was bought? The pipe is the newer model Alba. From what I was told the older one was a 2 piece. You guys came out with a three piece pipe not even 2yrs ago. I'll send it in but Paul asked to see pics and I sent him detailed pics of the complete pipe as well as the damage. Sux because while I'm waiting to find out what's going to happen my bike is sitting in the garage with no pipe and this at the peak of our race season. It's going to take at least a week for you to get the pipe and I only know how long for you do your inspection. May just be a complete waste of time for me. What exactly are you inspecting to determine anything? The pipe has NO DENTS, NO DINGS, NO ABUSE ANYWHERE! If it needed to be sent in I wish Paul would have told me that a week ago at least...

Email from Marc
I NEED THE ORIGINAL INVOICE SO I CAN FIND OUT THE DATE IT WAS PURCHASED. OUR PRODUCTS ONLY CARRY A 6 MONTH WARARNTY ON WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIALS AND IT APPEARS THAT IT FALLS OUT OF THAT 6 MONTH PERIOD. I’M INTERESTED TO SEE THE PIPE ITSELF BECAUSE IN THE PAST WE’VE HAD CUSTOMERS TRY TO WARRANTY PARTS THAT HAVE BEEN NEGLECTED. IF YOU SEND IT IN WE CAN SEE WHAT WE CAN DO BUT I DON’T WANT TO MAKE ANY PROMISES WITHOUT SEEING THE PRODUCT.

Marc Caravaggio
Parts Manager
Alba Action Sports
(858)486-4380 X.204
(858)679-7947 fax

My last email
Well if it's only a 6 month warranty then it's definitely not covered. WOW! So there's really no need to send the pipe out is there? That's time and money wasted. Since the pipe only comes with a six month manufactures warranty (which is awfully a short warranty) there's not much I can do except look into getting a pipe that's more durable. The Alba performed well for me but if I would have known then what I know now I WOULD HAVE NEVER PURCHASED AN ALBA. Sparks is offering a 2 year warranty on his pipes so that's probably the direction I'll be looking. I know you have to do what's best for your company but I wish I would have gotten the invoice from the dealer. I also wish I would have been advised of this short warranty as well. At least I would have saved myself the aggravation of trying to have something warrantied that's not even under warranty. Well, on to something more durable...

Whatta you guys think?

chris46250r
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
You handled that a whole lot better than I could have. Everything you said seemed very legit and its more than noticeable that you haven't mistreated the pipe at all. They should have sent you a pipe, an apology and a thank you for being patient with them.

400exrider707
07-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I say have fun with your sparks.;)

tar
07-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Get a Sparks for sure