PDA

View Full Version : Warped Rotors?

charlie211
07-03-2007, 05:58 AM
I had a front wheel bearing go out on me and it caused the rotor to rub the pad significantly more than it normally would. It took awhile for me to realize this and the rotor got red hot.
Is there anyway to visually inspect a rotor for warpage? How much brake pad / rotor rub is to much when the tire is free spinning? Does a slight rub require rotor replacement? If not, do you think I can get another week or 2 of it? In either case I will be installing new wheel bearings before I take her back out...

I just dropped over $600 in my z400 and am trying to conserve funds, but will buy a new brake rotor if it cannot be salvaged. :ermm:

Also, at the bottom of the post page, it asks to Post a poll with a check box and: Number of options initally: (Maximum: 10)
What does this do?

JOEX
07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Take the rotor off and lay it on a very flat surface. If there's noticable wobble then it should be replaced. The run out spec is 0.30mm but you'll need a dial indicator to measure that.

If there's a slight rub when free wheeling it on a stand then I wouldn't worry much but if the wheel is stopping after a few revolutions the replacement may be neccessary.

I had the rear brake pedal sieze on me and I didn't notice until the motor started bogging and the rotor was glowing red, still using the same rotor...

charlie211
07-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Ok sounds good.
Thanx!