PDA

View Full Version : Here we go!! Carb trouble

hontr35
07-03-2007, 12:51 AM
So I have a 00 400ex, it sat for 3 years before I could ride it again. Carb was leaking gas out of the overflow tube. Dealer said valve float(?) was bad. Unrepairable. So I buy a brand new 06 Carb and put it on. Still the bike doesn't run right, can't get to the air/fuel screw (D shape head). 155 Main/40 pilot.
Now I get my buddy's 03 Carb that came off a running bike, stock jetting. I take it for a spin, good to go. Today, finish the odds and ends on it, (plastics, shrouds..) take it for another spin goes good then I shut it off and gas is coming out the overflow!!!! Tapped the bowl, gas still coming!! My question is WHY!!!
Can the air/fuel screw from the 03 go in the 06? All I have is a slip-on with a K&N filter and an aluminum air box sealed up tight. I'm going nuts!! How many turns on the screw? When I had the 06 Carb on, it spit and sputtered and blew out black smoke and even dropped down to a 148 Main same thing. Only thing I can think off is that damn air/fuel screw. Maybe some dirt got in the 03 Carb by the float?? Thanks for any and all help, need to ride this weekend!!!

Eviltanker
07-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Take off the air box lid! Your choking the motor......Take the lid off with the 06' carb and she will run like a champ with the 155/ 40
fuel screw should be 2 1/2 turns from slightly seated. This is not exact but it will be a good start.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287977