PDA

View Full Version : Product Update Campaign for start reduction gear

organiz3d_chaos
07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
I just got a letter stating:

American Honda's Motorcycle division is conduction a Product Update Campaign to replace the starter reduction gear on certain 2006-2007 TRX450ER ATVS.

You have until August 1, 2008 to do it.... Mines going in ASAP becuase I have already had problem with my starter once....

GIXXER1KR
07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Me too!I havent had any problems till recently so im all over that!!!:devil:

450raider
07-03-2007, 06:47 PM
my brother got one today, i think were taking it to the local shop tomorrow, either we can go to the local dealer and let them "stab in the dark" with it and have it back in a few days or go to where we bought it and get it done the right way and let it take forevever (thats where my R's been for the past 2 months:cuss:!!)

rollie
07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
me and my buddy also got that, mines goin in next friday lol

450rJam
07-04-2007, 03:14 PM
already fixed mine once, I think its more in the design than the parts used, I will run this one tell middle of next year then get the updated one installed (that way I get the most good out of this one)

oldracer
07-05-2007, 08:39 AM
got mine done. new reduction gear and starter clutch
assembly.(free thanks Honda)

seems to start better.

Lonestar_R
07-05-2007, 04:51 PM
I got mine the other day...I'm gonna wait till next year and then get it done.....I had it done once out of warranty but it was free of charge and I'm gonna wait till it breaks something then get it all fixed...

We should all band together and tell Honda to stick this quad...and we all want our money back and buy something else that works.....I'm getting real tired of a recall letter comming every few months...and I'm getting real tired of the thing being hard to start.

450rJam
07-05-2007, 05:43 PM
even with the bad starter and the recals

of I had the cash I paid for mine in my pocket I would buy another R before the others.

jb500ex
07-05-2007, 07:10 PM
i would buy an 04 or 05 but will never buy an 06,07,08 again

450rJam
07-05-2007, 07:44 PM
because ????????????

Lonestar_R
07-05-2007, 08:35 PM
this is the second new one I have bought from honda and neither one wanted to start very well.....I think I would have to jump ship and buy something else...I can't have anymore problems with another brand than I have with this 450R

450rJam
07-06-2007, 04:48 AM
have you tried bumping the idle or adjusting the decomp ?

Lonestar_R
07-06-2007, 09:15 AM
yep been there done that......believe me I have talked to everyone and tired everyting...and the thing I have concluded is that this carb is junk. My buddy Speedyquad and I changed our jetting and he changed something completly different than I did and they both started better....but it still doesn't start as well as it should...this carb is junk

07-06-2007, 12:56 PM
i will say this...only pushing the "magic" button 3 or 4 times is a hell of a lot better than 5 minutes of watching your group ride down the trail...

i had the stock pilot(42) in with a 42 leak jet, and my air/fuel screw at 2.5 turns. my intake and exhaust mods are a twin air filter, lid cut like a 2005 hrc lid, and a white bros pro aluminum II full system.

he had a 48 pilot, 42 leak and not sure about his air/fuel screw. he has a uni filter with a 05 hrc style cut lid. he is running a rossier exhuast.

his only change was that he put the stock pilot back in. i am not sure if he changed his air/fuel screw or not.

i put in 38 pilot, the stock leak jet(70) and went to 2.25 turns out on my a/f screw. we both had the same results...

i can't see the difference in pipes and filters making that much difference on the pilot jet

GIXXER1KR
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Im taking mine in for all 3 recalls.The recalls cant be that bad everything is still OK!!!And i wouldnt trade my 450 for anything out there..The good thing is that at least honda has a recall.Dont know if anyone owned a Yamaha Raptor!!!Wanna talk about starter issues!!!Out of pocket expense was $200!!!A POP!!!!

quad2xtreme
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I've had my 2006 since the beginning (337th one produced) and never had a problem starting hot or cold. I've had the HRC kit on it since it was a month old.

My only advice when starting cold...pull the choke, stab the throttle 5 times to prime, and then hit the starter button. Let it idle with the choke on for about 15 seconds then push the choke back in.

I ran the crap out of mine on the track and sometimes stall. I will have it running again in less than 5 seconds every time.

Never hit the throttle when running the starter, keep the idle set a bit high, make sure the decompression is set properly, and never let your engine backfire when you shut it off...jet it properly and fix the leaks in your exhaust if it does backfire.

Planning to buy another soon.