PDA

View Full Version : changing piston and cam, Should I???

02silverpile
07-02-2007, 09:13 AM
OK, at the end of the season im thinking of freshining the top end. While im in there I thought about upgrading to the 13:1 piston, and a stage 3 Hotcam. Would anyone see a benefit to me doing this vs. what is listed in my sig? In addition to that, if I go with a higher compression piston, should I remove the timing advance or leave it? I know people hate that thing, but I have not had any problems with it. BTW, I do not use a base gasket, so the compression is a little higher. Or do you think it would be more benificial to have a little more aggressive port job done?

02silverpile
07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Nothing?

gojk
07-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by 02silverpile
OK, at the end of the season im thinking of freshining the top end. While im in there I thought about upgrading to the 13:1 piston, and a stage 3 Hotcam. Would anyone see a benefit to me doing this vs. what is listed in my sig? In addition to that, if I go with a higher compression piston, should I remove the timing advance or leave it? I know people hate that thing, but I have not had any problems with it. BTW, I do not use a base gasket, so the compression is a little higher. Or do you think it would be more benificial to have a little more aggressive port job done?

I personally wouldn't go past 11:1 compression without replacing the stock rod. YOu are asking for trouble if you keep the stock rod, as it is a known weak point in the engine as it is.

RiderTRX400ex
07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
if you are still on the stock rod, upgrade it before taking the compression any higher.

400exrider707
07-09-2007, 05:35 AM
If you go high compression defintiely lose the timing advance, it creates a lot of extra heat, also upgrade the rod, and add heavy duty head studs to the list.