View Full Version : Pep rear shock?

esr250r86
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Hi, I just purchased a pep rear 8 click big bottle shock but dont really know what all the adjustments on it are for. I want to know what the adjustment on the canister is for and how should I start it out with? Also there is an adjustment on the bottom of the shock that is sort of a round nob that spins,what is that for and how should I start it off with also? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Colby@C&DRacing
07-02-2007, 10:51 AM
That is a std comp and rebound adjustable shock.The knob on the rezzies is the comp I would recommend starting off in the middle. The adjustment at the bottom of the shaft is rebound I also would start off with it in the middle of its adjustment range.

esr250r86
07-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Allright,thanks. And what exactly is the compression adjustment for and the rebound? Do I want the shock to rebound fast or slow for mx racing? Or is it personal preference? Sorry about the newbie questions,I just never really have dialed my shock in perfectly. Thanks.

NacsMXer
07-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm no shock expert but the compression adjustment dictates how easy or how hard it is to compress the shock all the way. For instance if you were riding relatively smooth terrain you would not need a high compression setting. If you were hitting big jumps on a MX track you would need much more compression for bottoming resistance.

Rebound is simply how fast your shock "springs" back to full extension after it has been compressed. On a severely whooped out track you would want more rebound so the shock can react faster from taking multiple successive hits. If the rebound is too slow, the shock will "pack" and stay compressed since it does not have enough time to fully extend for the next hit. On the other hand, if the track is pretty smooth with good distances between bumps/jumps, you would not need as much rebound as the above situation.

You will have to adjust the two settings based on track conditions and how the quad is behaving to it. There is no perfect setting, it is something you sort of have to play around with to get right.

R3Concepts
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Run the compression as soft as you can, only bottoming out once or twice around the entire track. The softer setting will fatigue the rider less.

Faster the rider- faster the rebound.

Nacs has good info as well.

esr250r86
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the reply's everyone,really appreciate it. I finally got my shock in and installed and I went to test it out yesterday and it is awesome,so much different than stock in a good way. It floats right over whoops and soaks alot of the hard stuff up. Definitely nice. Thought id post a pic since I have one. Thanks again.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/avrilfankc/suspension004.jpg