PDA

View Full Version : would you rock it?

ny300exrider
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
so i sold my 99 isuzu rodeo that was my first car and my 05 450r and have been without a vehicle for a month now. i have been looking for a 02 or up ram quad cab 4x4 and have had no luck whatsoever. i must have went to check out over 10-15 total and have not come home with one....either a beat up peice of junk or way over my price limit. im starting to get discouraged with the whole truck thing and started opening my eyes up to other options because riding my bicycle to get places is really starting to get old. yesterday i drove an hour to check out a used 04 altima listed as "mint, runs and looks great, no problems". as an understatement, it looked like it got into a fight with edward scissorhands....soooo much body damage it was unreal..i was heated to say the least. so after spending a month driving around long island looking at overpriced or garbage vehicles, i came across this....
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/2971/glizm2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

its a 2004.5 vw jetta gli with 48k. its a 6speed 1.8turbo. the gli package is awsome...upgraded suspension,rims,and a ****load of other stuff. the euro thing worries me because i know they have a reputation for expensive repairs and unreliability and i know its true. however, i really think this car is HOT and i can get it for almost 4-5 thousand under kbb value. its obviously no ram15004x4, but im beginning to wonder if i really need a big gas guzzling truck. i have a 2500hd as a work truck in the family if i really needed a pickup, and ill be commuting a locally to college so the save in gas would actually be a help. i had the image of being a "big bad 17yr old in a beautiful ram sitting on 20's" but id also be a pretty broke 17 yr old sittin on 20s due to the engine drinking gas like gatorade.

i personally like the gli, i could picture myself in it no doubt, seems like itd be fun to drive and HOPEFULLY reasonable with repairs and break downs. itd be used around town, no modifications or racing.

i thought id ask you guys from a rider to rider point of view; would YOU rock it? do you guys think its a hot car? i know they are actually pretty rare so i doubt anyone on here owns one, but if so how do you like it? i know i check out vwvortex.com and people seem to love the car. it wouldnt fit the rider style like a nice big truck would, but i'd def. represent with some astars and shift stickers. what do you think, call the guy up and go checker out?

opinions are cool,
thanks

ny300exrider
07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
this isnt the actual one like the other pic, but just a better daylight pic to show how the car looks

i wouldnt have to touch a thing other than some boomboom in the trunk...comes setup from the showroom floor. but i still cant decide....tough stuff here

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/900/img0471db5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mean250r
07-02-2007, 08:34 AM
its nice, But if your asking if i would rock it? the answer is no.

But it is nice, and if euros are your type of thing then go for it. I can do all my own repairs/work on my car cause its easy to work on. idk where to start on a euro. It prob is the nicest VW i seen though

07-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Get it.

German cars- thumbs up
American cars- thumbs down

MentalState
07-02-2007, 09:11 AM
nice reliable whip that you will have equity in if its listed that low below book value..

Ryan
07-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Me personally, VW's, arn't my car of choice. They car does look very nice. Them little motors can move. My buddy had one and it was alot of fun to drive.

I'd say get it.

My sister just bought a Audi A6 2.7 Turbo AWD. Great German car. Thing is sweet.... And real fast!

400exrider707
07-02-2007, 09:30 AM
I thought you already had this car? I'm confused? I would totally rock this car without a doubt, do the APR chip and its a whole different car. Quick, great handling, and 29mpg at WOT everywhere. It is one of the best balanced cars I've ever ridden in, if you push it too hard in a corner the whole car slides a little bit, not just the front end and not just the rear end, all 4 tires push a little, very well balanced.

Ralph
07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
For sure, very nice car. My buddy has one with an upgraded turbo and a chip and the thing flys. VW's are great cars.

CRich[814]
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
i say do it. they're awesome cars. my brother had a white wolfsburg for a bit. it was fun as hell.

07250ex
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
germany makes like the best cars ever ...

BMW,Mercedez,Porsche

416exfreak
07-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Hell to the Yes!!!!!!

Id Deff. ride in that thing....its Sweet....

Barrymaxx
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Vw makes a great car. There also not too bad to work on if you do your own work.

Ralph
07-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
germany makes like the best cars ever ...

BMW,Mercedez,Porsche

They also built some of the safest. Recently some of my friends were in a pretty bad accident. One of em broke their back(told she couldnt walk again but it ended up not bein as bad, thank god), broken wrists, internal bleeding, concussions. Pretty bad.

However, i had a similar crash in my 99 benz c230 and i only had a scratch on my leg.

Safety is a huge factor when i look at cars.

400exrider707
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
They also built some of the safest. Recently some of my friends were in a pretty bad accident. One of em broke their back(told she couldnt walk again but it ended up not bein as bad, thank god), broken wrists, internal bleeding, concussions. Pretty bad.

However, i had a similar crash in my 99 benz c230 and i only had a scratch on my leg.

Safety is a huge factor when i look at cars.

Comparing accidents IMO is a waste of time, there is no way you can ever repeat the exact things that happened and the exact forces that were put onto the car at the same points...

I still agree they are safe cars though.

ny300exrider
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
awsome thanks alottt for the replies. definitly a big help. im going to call the number on the auction and see if i can go check it out later on....if it looks as good as it does in the pics, and seems like it was maintained and kept up to my standards, we might be talkin here. the risk of the unreliabilty and expensive repairs is still in my mind, but i think this is one of those deals that are just too hard to pass up

lets hope it works in my favor!

thanks again, and keep those opinions coming.

Ralph
07-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Comparing accidents IMO is a waste of time, there is no way you can ever repeat the exact things that happened and the exact forces that were put onto the car at the same points...

I still agree they are safe cars though.

yeah this is true, but the point is i only suffered a scratch from a severe accident. we both struck telephone poles. You cant beat the perks of a safe car.

Either way, go for the car man!

Ralph
07-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
awsome thanks alottt for the replies. definitly a big help. im going to call the number on the auction and see if i can go check it out later on....if it looks as good as it does in the pics, and seems like it was maintained and kept up to my standards, we might be talkin here. the risk of the unreliabilty and expensive repairs is still in my mind, but i think this is one of those deals that are just too hard to pass up

lets hope it works in my favor!

thanks again, and keep those opinions coming.

They are reliable cars. Repairs might be a bit pricey but remember you are paying for quality. If you are weary of an unreliable vehicle i dont think you should be considering anything "american" (mexican)...

400exStar
07-02-2007, 01:26 PM
I have had 1 Audi A41.8 and 2 Jetta 1.8 vehicles. Not bad cars overall but Forget it if you have to repair that damn things. You had better make sure that the Timing belt has been changed and if it hasn't, change it immediately if it has more than 50k miles. The manu. says 70k but trust me you dont want to have that go out on you. $4,000 to replace the head on those engines. I had to have the head replaced on the A4 when the timing belt went at 60k miles. (not under warranty). The new head went again after 15k miles and the Stealership would not back it. so by the time it was all over I had more than $8,000 in repairs.

The CV joints for those cars are about $180 and the labor is about $180 per side. I did mine myself and the tools to get it done cost almost $100. The VW's have tons of electrical problems that cost tons to fix unless you can chase them down yourself. Then the parts get you. Even the brake Rotors cost 10x what is cost to buy rotors for a jap/american car.

Just avoid the problems and skip the VW and especially the 1.8 interference engines. Audi/VW sucks in my book.

I Drove my jetta down to the nissan dealership and traded it for what I had in it. I got an 07 altima 3.5 loaded with leather and navi system, the whole deal. Much better car IMO that those problem riddled german cars.

ny300exrider
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
now thats what i hate to read. its weird...there are people that say they love thier dubbs and then some that hate them. makes it real hard to decide.

trX250eXmXr28
07-02-2007, 01:49 PM
i have a VW GTI with a few mods and i say to deffinatly get it... but i hate to break it to u but if thats the car in the pic on the first post thats the stock gli suspension and those are the stock bbs RC's not aftermarket so if the guy selling it is trying to get extra because it has "aftermarket stuff" hes lieing.. cuz thats the stock suspenison and rims.

ny300exrider
07-02-2007, 01:52 PM
nope it isnt advertised as aftermarket...i do know that the gli has upgraded suspension/rims compared to a regular jetta though.

i personally love the stance and rims it comes with.

infantry317
07-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Very nice car! Some VW's do tend to have a lot of stupid electronic problems. My friend had a 2003 Passat and a 2004 Golf GTI, dumb sensors always going off and the dealers would replace or reset. The things were in for these stupid things every few months.

It is a sweet lookin ride though.

<DRS>GPF
07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
looks nice..

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2004/volkswagen/jetta/gli_sedan/745/recalls/

not alot of problems with those cars.

trxwannbe
07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
vw is usally good as far as reliability and the repairs on the vw aren't as overpriced as most european stuff and i would deff rock that ride any day but thats just me and i forgot to mention that thats all my uncle and dad drive as far as cars go i would know what to do if something happened but yeah deff rock that ride wit a couple 12s in the trunk and a small amp will sound good

ny300exrider
07-03-2007, 01:39 PM
well i thought i'd give a little update....

i passed on the car.

i woke up this morning with a big change in heart. i live 2min. from the beach and really want a 4x4 so i think im just going to stick with my previous plans and just wait until i find something nice. the jetta was a BEAUTIFUL car, but just not the best choice for me.

the gas mileage of a truck will definitly be a pita but i think of it like this: it will keep me from speeding and having a lead foot unlike that sporty little vdubb would lol.

JJs450r
07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
my fiance has a 02 spec-v (nissan) and i walk the dog on the vw turbos

stocktires
07-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Nice, but not my style.

Sjorge450R
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
just a question, why'd you sell the R?

ny300exrider
07-04-2007, 06:04 PM
want the $ for a vehicle

i got a cheap stock 01 400ex that i actually LOVE riding...sometimes i think its more fun than the 450 was.

ZeroLogic
07-04-2007, 07:32 PM
VW isn't my type of car. I'd keep looking for a few weeks and see what else is out there, then if you don't find anything go with it. My dad has a Jetta and its a nice small fun to drive car. Its quick too.