PDA

View Full Version : Bike sputters after washing

Jason Smith
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a 2005 Honda 450R. Lately after I wash my bike it sputters at full throttle for a couple of days. I have tried riding the bike after I wash it to get it hot. It idles okay and runs good until I get the RPMs up really high the it starts to sputter. I cover the exhaust pipe and keep my air box lid on when I wash the bike but nothing seems to help. It has not always done this propably just the past four times I have washed it. I think it started after I changed the spark plug but I am not sure. ANY HELP PLEASE.
Is there a fuel filter on my bike? If so, where?

yamahamx14
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Do you lift you quad and spary the bottom the the quad when you wash it? If so, then you might be spraying water into the gas tank vent hose that goes into steering stem. I've heard that happening before.

GOTFEAR
07-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Everry thing i ride and wash this happens to me come to find out when pressure washing the bike i was sticking the pressure washer right on the carb so after washing i drain my carb had no problem no mo.

Rulz
07-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Water on electrical components is probably what's causing your problem. Here is what I do, after I power wash the quad, I get my air nozzle and use compressed air and blow off all the water, especially around the plug and cdi box. I also get all the water out of the swingarm where the bearing carrier goes, water sits in there really bad if you don't blow it out. I've never had a problem with the bike starting and running great after this procedure. Yea it's a pain but it displaces all the water and you have less worry about things starting to rust.

86 Quad R
07-02-2007, 07:52 AM
i think what is happening is that warter is getting past the plug boot and into that cavity where the spark plug is.

Jason Smith
07-02-2007, 08:18 AM
THANKS ALOT for all of the great suggestions I will try all of them.