PDA

View Full Version : hot cams install

Sparky_20
07-01-2007, 12:47 AM
just got my quad running today and boy it shounds like sh*t. Its ticking horribly loud. I put in a new timing chain and tensioner at the same time. Im gonna go out and check the valve adjustment in the morning...I have heard they tick pretty loud but its crazy loud, cold and hot.

EX LONERIDER
07-01-2007, 01:01 AM
i did a hotcam stg 2 and its also ticking loud. from what i can tell it probably dont use a quieting ramp like stock cams. might wanna recheck the gap like you mentioned. maybe even go tighter on the clearance. either way i think its gonna "tick" but should get better as it wears in.

CarGuy7a
07-01-2007, 04:28 AM
I've had mine in for about a year now and it still ticks like a mother. just keep your valves adjusted and it'll be fine.

TYayo420
07-01-2007, 07:41 AM
so does mie with stage 1

Ruby Soho
07-01-2007, 09:29 AM
mine ticks but its not that loud.. i have the stage 3

nickk
07-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Sparky_20
just got my quad running today and boy it shounds like sh*t. Its ticking horribly loud. I put in a new timing chain and tensioner at the same time. Im gonna go out and check the valve adjustment in the morning...I have heard they tick pretty loud but its crazy loud, cold and hot.

Same here just put in a stage 2, she ticks very loud. Valves are to spec of the hotcam card also.. it must just be the cam.

EX LONERIDER
07-01-2007, 11:40 AM
yea, just like i thought. its gotta be the ramp angles on the cam. they must not mess with it trying to be quiet. just get used to it.

Sparky_20
07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
alright, well that soothes the nerves some. Im gonna go adjust the valves right now and just double check the tensioner. Then im gonna go rip it up and see how much power this thing really gave me!

CarGuy7a
07-01-2007, 03:27 PM
once you get used to the power of the cam it won't feel very fast until you ride a buddies 400 that is pretty much stock and you'll say holy piss this stocker is slow.

i got used to the way mine felt with the cam and everything and got on my friends who has just pipe and jet kit with a filter and his feels alot slower.

just that cam will suprise you.

i noticed a whole lot more gains in power when i put an open airbox lid on mine.

Sparky_20
07-01-2007, 04:24 PM
well i got the valves adjusted right this time. They were pretty loose before, not sure if that was from the break in or not. It is a lot quiter, still an annoying tick but I know i the last set right so its all good. I went and took it for a spin and it runs like a raped ape! I do notice it popping on decel a bit....with my current mods should i adjust the needle down one notch?

CarGuy7a
07-01-2007, 07:36 PM
mine does that to a little bit. if it does it really loud and alot then that means you are lean. i switched to a #40 pilot for running with my open airbox lid but with the stock lid on i had a stock pilot in it at like 2 3/4 to 3 turns out. both with a 160DJ main.

Sparky_20
07-01-2007, 10:11 PM
meh its not very loud so ill probably just leave it alone for now. Im gonna go ride the trails either tuesday or weds so ill see how it runs out there and adjust as necessary.

81 clark racing
07-02-2007, 07:08 PM
yea i just put a stage2 in mine and she ticks but everything is to spec however its smoking alot up front of the motor. i no i spilt some oil but after like 10 15 mins of riding its smoking preatty bad and when i rev it up it smokes even more any ideas on what that problem maybe? not trying to steal ya thread man just saying time and space

bigmikey119
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by 81 clark racing
yea i just put a stage2 in mine and she ticks but everything is to spec however its smoking alot up front of the motor. i no i spilt some oil but after like 10 15 mins of riding its smoking preatty bad and when i rev it up it smokes even more any ideas on what that problem maybe? not trying to steal ya thread man just saying time and space

check for oil leaks! around the rocker box (valve cover)