PDA

View Full Version : Are 450 Hybrids faster than production 450's?????

TWISTED DINLI
06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
exactly what it says.

Glamis400ex
06-30-2007, 08:17 PM
I believe so. I think that's the whole reason the hybrid thing started. Guys could still race in a 450 class....with a 450 dirt bike motor. No harm no foul.

DVXracer
06-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
I believe so. I think that's the whole reason the hybrid thing started. Guys could still race in a 450 class....with a 450 dirt bike motor. No harm no foul.

Not really is that why it started, it basically started because people wanted the incredible handling from a 250r and the power from a 450 thumper, as for them being faster then production quads it all depends on gearing and where the motor came from. For example if you put a dirtbike 450 motor in a hybrid chassis you will be getting more power because dirtbike motors have more compression and higher lifting cams. Top speed is all determined by gearing though.

250Renvy
07-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex

The hybrid thing started way back when people put 350X motors in 250R frames.

But the current 450 hybrid thing started when Yamaha and honda started making 4stroke dirt bike motors and racing was still pretty much an aftermarkets sponsored thing so instead of continuing to use their old 250R motors, the aftermarkets made frames for the NEW dirt bike motors and they could get more tourque out of them I imagine, yet still retain the 250R handling, 3-4 years later the production quads came out and made hybrids obsolete for their true purpose.

But to answer your question - it all depends on the rider/ and setup.

Glamis400ex
07-02-2007, 05:33 AM
ok then. I'll just be over here in the corner.:ermm: :p

Glamis

LT250Racer609
07-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I dunno I will let you know. I owned a 04 450R, got rid of that. Owned a 265R, and put a 350 motor in it...got rid of that and now im building a YZ426 hybrid....I will let you know what I think in about a week.

stocktires
07-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by LT250Racer609
I dunno I will let you know. I owned a 04 450R, got rid of that. Owned a 265R, and put a 350 motor in it...got rid of that and now im building a YZ426 hybrid....I will let you know what I think in about a week.

A YZ426F motor will not even come close to a well built 350R.

But hybrids are exactly what 250Renvy explained. They are generally faster than the production quads mainly because of their handling.
The industry is trying to get better and better race quads out of the manufacturers, so they are trying to do away with hybrids to accomplish this.

LT250Racer609
07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
A YZ426F motor will not even come close to a well built 350R.

But hybrids are exactly what 250Renvy explained. They are generally faster than the production quads mainly because of their handling.
The industry is trying to get better and better race quads out of the manufacturers, so they are trying to do away with hybrids to accomplish this.

I can see a well setup 350R smoking a 426 or a built 450 on a Flat track course, TT or in a drag race...but if you ask me, its too much on a MX track to compete with the torquey 4 strokes. With my 350 I found myself spinning to much, when the 4 strokes already hooked and were gone....Torque is on their side, which the HP Is on mine....HP doesnt always win the factor

And you cant argue that my 350R wasnt setup....it was setup awesome. Best handling quad I have ever ridden, just way to much power to put down on a softer track, where the 4 strokes hook in go...so if you ask me, as for the racing I Do the 4 stroke dominates it.

jrspawn
07-03-2007, 11:50 PM
As far as compairing a 426 to a big bore two stroke( or any two stroke for that matter) ill put my money all day long on the 426, heck even a Bone stock 426.

Ive built and ownded about every type of race quad you can think of, and the difference between the two stroke power and four stroke power being controlled is night and day with high HP two strokers. That is a huge reason of why most pros jumped ship to the four stroke hybrids after Goodman and ellis raced to have the first modern 4 stroke hybrid built in 98. And that was even YZ400f's also.

Everyone has a different riding style and likes different things though. Some people still hate the newer four stroke stuff. But i think its safe to say now that the 4 strokes have a more usable power.

Thank you
Justin

LT250Racer609
07-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by jrspawn
As far as compairing a 426 to a big bore two stroke( or any two stroke for that matter) ill put my money all day long on the 426, heck even a Bone stock 426.

Ive built and ownded about every type of race quad you can think of, and the difference between the two stroke power and four stroke power being controlled is night and day with high HP two strokers. That is a huge reason of why most pros jumped ship to the four stroke hybrids after Goodman and ellis raced to have the first modern 4 stroke hybrid built in 98. And that was even YZ400f's also.

Everyone has a different riding style and likes different things though. Some people still hate the newer four stroke stuff. But i think its safe to say now that the 4 strokes have a more usable power.

Thank you
Justin

Exactly, thank you. This motor I have is out of your old JRD Hybrid that brian had...its cammed and has a High compression piston with some other goodies...havent had it running yet cause I just got it, but im sure it will move

I was a die hard 2 stroke man. I always told myself and everyone else you will never see me on a thumper...then with my 350 kit, I got out there on the MX track thinking It was more then enought o walk by bone stock 450's, well I was wrong. Like I said, It will smoke anything in a straight line, but its just too much for MX

TWISTED DINLI
07-04-2007, 08:01 AM
sooooooooooo............the hybrid 450's ARE faster than the production 450's? i am very :confused: with the talk about the 350r and 426

stocktires
07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED DINLI
sooooooooooo............the hybrid 450's ARE faster than the production 450's? i am very :confused: with the talk about the 350r and 426

Generally, Yes. You can't really generalize it like that though.

But the discussion got more into 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke.
But no doubt I'd take my CRF all day long on an MX track. For play, I'd love a 310R. My R wasnt even nealy a sick as a 350R and I would still spin everywhere. I do miss my R though, so fun...:(
I haven't been to any national races in a while, but a year or two ago R's were still dominating the Open classes.

FHKracingZ
07-04-2007, 10:39 AM
i dont believe this is true at all.. considering the 06/07 450r's are the same bore/stroke as a crf quad... Ive never been walked on by a hybrid at all... tommy tantillos quad never pulled me at redbud during practice.. and he has a full ATP CRF motor with a all walsh/pep chassis thats brand new...

LT250Racer609
07-04-2007, 11:44 AM
It comes to a point where its more of the Rider then anything.

stocktires
07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Especially on two totaly sick quads that rarely anyone can use the full power of in the first place.

jrspawn
07-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
i dont believe this is true at all.. considering the 06/07 450r's are the same bore/stroke as a crf quad... Ive never been walked on by a hybrid at all... tommy tantillos quad never pulled me at redbud during practice.. and he has a full ATP CRF motor with a all walsh/pep chassis thats brand new...

Well he must have been playing with you out there:devil: Becuase every race tommy enters and finishes he pretty much cleans house!!!

And also, everyone has to compair apples to apples here. A bone stock bike engine will put out more HP than the somewhat equivalent quad engine. A highly modified bike engine compaired to a highly modified quad engine, well they are both gonna be making alot of HP. But out of box performance, the bike engine combos put the higher HP out. The quad engine puts out around 36hp(give or take one or two depending on who's dyno) and the CRF engine puts out aorund the mid 40's(again give or a take a couple).

Thank you
Justin