PDA

View Full Version : My 300EX, trying to verify supposed mods

messenger13
06-30-2007, 08:23 AM
I bought this '96 300EX and I'm trying to verify the mods that have been done to it. The guy who sold it to me didn't know much about it, just that the guy who he got it from was "really into quads" and "is a really good mechanic".

I'm told that it has a 400EX frontend on it for added stability, but how can I tell? The frontend does appear to be wider than a stock 300EX. Short of me going to a Honda dealer and taking measurements, can someone help me here? Mine measures 32" from inside of rim to inside of rim.

It obviously has an FMF exhaust system. Would it be safe to assume that he also installed a DynoJet kit to rejet the carb? My assumption is based on the silly DynoJet sticker on the side of the quad. :rolleyes:

It also supposedly has a Wiseco 11:1 piston in it. I guess I'll have to open it up to see if it's the standard size, or bored out.

Lastly, I'm wondering if the rear bodywork is stock. The rear fenders and the seat come off as one unit. Is this stock? I don't think so...

I appreciate any comments. Even if you just want to call me a moron or a freakin' nOOb! :D

http://home.alltel.net/paulsey_dsl/messenger14/Pine_Lake_4.jpg

DJR300ex
06-30-2007, 12:12 PM
i know it has 400ex front shocks and the shock relocator bracket on it but i cant really tell if it has 400ex a-arms but if you had a pic of the front i could tell you.

if the guy was really into quads im sure he would've jetted it. which FMF is it? the powercore or megamax?

the fenders and seat come off as one unit stock, but they could be Maier fenders because i can tell that your front plastic is Maier.

i can also tell you that it has Maxxis Razr tires and i think those are Douglas wheels on the front.

by the way, thats a pretty nice lookin bike but i think it needs a bath :D

messenger13
06-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply DJR300ex! :) I know answering posts/questions from newbies suck...but that's life on the internet.
Besides, I have to put up with that stuff on other forums where I have over 10K posts. :eek:

Here's two more pics that should help you see the bike more clearly.
She shows some signs of her age, but for what I paid I am ecstatic with the way she runs.
She'll do over 60mph and doesn't take long getting there. :D

http://home.alltel.net/paulsey_dsl/messenger14/300EX_Side.jpg

http://home.alltel.net/paulsey_dsl/messenger14/300EX_Front.jpg

DJR300ex
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
no problem bro, im just glad i can help

yep, those are 400 a-arms.

i still can't really tell if those are Maier rear fenders but i see theyre a little different color then the fronts so if i had to guess i'd say theyre stock.

i think i can see a full frame skid plate on the bottom too

you got a real good deal on it, i bought my 96 300ex for $1700 and it didnt have near as many mods as yours does when i first bought it

dork
07-05-2007, 10:12 AM
to check the piston, if you pull the spark plug and peek in the hole with a flash light while you rotate the motor over you can usually see the top of the piston and look for any writing. the wiseco will have small dot writing on it with a decent dome.

to check the jets, take out the plug in the bowl and remove the main. the stock keihin mains have a 'k' stamped on them. if it doesn't then its got the dynojet jets.

dabomb_350x
07-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Those fender are Maier, both the front and back. The rear you can see the bolt/screws that hold the fender brace to the fender on the front shot.

bwamos
07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Easy to tell if it has dynojets in it opposed to keihin jets is to remove the plug from the bottom of the carb. If the main jet is hex shaped it's keihin. If it's round w/ a screwdriver slot in it (with a hex adapter above it) it is a dynojet.

Agree. Looks like a 400ex frint end to me also.

Rears plastics appear to be the stockers. I think I see the steel cross member under there. (but, honestly it's been years since I've had a stock set on my ex). Meiers are good plastics, I wouldn't fret over it either way.

Definatly a full exhaust system.

Should be a great quad.

It probably does have an 11:1 in it. That's really the lowest compression aftermarket piston you can get.