PDA

View Full Version : Decking The Head 50cc

#404's Dad
06-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Anyone decking the heads themselves locally in their area, if so what amount are you removing, also who sells heads already decked?

Thanks, Corey

bulldogfallon
06-30-2007, 04:23 AM
Many say the 50 stock cylinder is pretty much the best stock cylinder available...

so it may be best to try to deck the stocker

I haven't decked ours due to local restrictions..maybe someone else can recomend an amount

jetski_dawg
06-30-2007, 06:00 AM
it was suggested to me and i had great results to take a peice of soldier and place it between the head and top of piston..let the piston "squish" the soldier and check the amount it flattens it with a mic or caliper.. on my 90 i had .050 and i had it shaved .020.. made a BIG differance..my compression raised to 180(right where i wanted it).. check your compression first..mine was@ 150... i had a machine shop that does alot of engine work on outboard motors do the work locally

drr5
06-30-2007, 06:19 AM
the stock drr 50 head has a lower deck than most of the other stock 50 bikes , so id take jet ski dawgs advice and heck the squish first before having it cut incase you have to rechamber the head as well

#404's Dad
07-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks everyone, I will for sure "Clay" the motor before doing any cutting but was just curious if someone had already done this and there was a common amount to remove on the DRR 50.

I will do a compression test tomorrow and possibly order a new OEM DRR head to have cut later on down the road, I will keep everyone posted on what I end up having done .

Corey

jetski_dawg
07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
talk to cory from koolkidz.. he usually will have a HC head in stock that you can bolt right on..(not much more than OEM) i wouldnt go over 180.. i dont think the stock bolts will take it without going to a grade 8 plus your top-end could suffer

#404's Dad
07-02-2007, 08:03 PM
Ordered a new DRR casting today, will keep everyone posted on the info when I get after it later .

Corey