PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Mods

#404's Dad
06-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Have yet to crack into the clutching on this 50cc bike yet but with others getting suspiciously faster we are forced like many to start playing with all we can.

What would be the first mod you guys that have had experience with them would do, We run douglas .125 8x6 wheels and 16" snow hogs on stock gearing, my boy weighs about 52 pounds.

Thanks for any help in advance, Corey

bulldogfallon
06-30-2007, 04:10 AM
Sprockets 19 x 30 with 18 Sno Hogs is popular here in FL where tracks are soft and get rutted.

Roller weights --If they get flat spots you will see a decrease in performance....try different weights

An adjustable rear clutch seems to be a choice upgrade....

Higher stalls springs and stiffer torque springs don't seem to help anyone that I know of....

Good Luck

drr5
06-30-2007, 06:23 AM
i agree with gary the tourque spring doesnt seem to help ,being the drr 50 clutch is about the lightest stock clutch you can buy id say try the rollers

OutlawEX
06-30-2007, 08:26 AM
cool

#404's Dad
06-30-2007, 08:32 AM
So i think I read that stock rollers were 3.5, if so would goign to a 4 gram help top end by pushign the belt further and how bad at all will this hurt bottom end?

Thanks

dblacks
06-30-2007, 12:03 PM
stock rollers, red stall springs, stock tourqe spring

very good results

#404's Dad
06-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dblacks
stock rollers, red stall springs, stock tourqe spring

very good results

Where did you get your RED small springs, I had Malossis in stock but they are too short imo to fit correctly?

Thanks

jetski_dawg
06-30-2007, 11:11 PM
i have an easier time when i remove the clips that hold the shoes on and remove the shoes and replace the springs then put them back on the clutch plate.. just my .02

dblacks
07-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by jetski_dawg
i have an easier time when i remove the clips that hold the shoes on and remove the shoes and replace the springs then put them back on the clutch plate.. just my .02

that is how I do it as well

bulldogfallon
07-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Never tried that way....Sounds like it could be easier...

I use an FMF exhaust spring tool to pull the spring while the clutch is assembled...

Taking it apart is something I will definately try next time

wrhracing
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I use a sears Product. Has a screwdriver handle on it and a ice pick stlye pointed end. Kinda short.

ww228king
07-02-2007, 05:24 AM
i think i will try take it apart next time too.....i always had a pair of needle nose pliers and strained untill my eyeballs popped out and hope it didnt slip....lol

drr wizard
07-02-2007, 07:24 AM
those little clutch springs are no problem once you got the right tools on hand , all I use is 2 pair of pliers 1 screw driver ,vise,small pry bar 2 friends and a salad fork ...works great of course you have to follow the lamaze procedure and most of all remember the relative humidity is crucial!
drr wizard

dblacks
07-02-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by drr wizard
those little clutch springs are no problem once you got the right tools on hand , all I use is 2 pair of pliers 1 screw driver ,vise,small pry bar 2 friends and a salad fork ...works great of course you have to follow the lamaze procedure and most of all remember the relative humidity is crucial!
drr wizard

you will definatly benefit by taking the shoes off, taking the old springs off, putting the new springs on and then putting the shoes onto the posts

Last time I did it no tools were involved, no friends needed to help, the relative Humidity was very high and breathing was normal.;)

ww228king
07-02-2007, 09:02 AM
DRR wizard.....LOL......you need your own comedy forum...lol..

riding4fun
07-05-2007, 02:42 PM
What is the approximate labor time to change the roller weights and clutch springs in the 90. Or should I say how long SHOULD it take.
Thanks,

Darrell

ww228king
07-05-2007, 02:52 PM
it didnt take me, but about 20mins tops on my son's mongoose... what ya think Gary?

bulldogfallon
07-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
What is the approximate labor time to change the roller weights and clutch springs in the 90. Or should I say how long SHOULD it take.
Thanks,

Darrell

With the right tools and advice for the first time...Less than an hour probably..

I use:

Electric drill for hex heads to remove side casing (4.5mm I believe)
Impact gun with a 17mm and a 19mm socket
Vice
Really large Channel Locks
Vice grip
A c-clamp is a nice extra if you have one
C-Clip pliers

Make sure you don't tear the gasket when taking the side case off

Once I remove the rear pulley I turn it horizontal with the large nut facing down and I lock that nut into the vice. Then turn rear clutch pulley by hand or channel locks.....turn it slowly and when it gets ready to come off the threads turn it really slow and hold it with 2 hands since it is under spring pressure.

The rear pulley will need to be compressed to put the belt back on the front variator (by hand or put the belt in and pull with both hands)

The clutch springs are fairly easy to remove....Use c-clip pliers to pop them out of place(this is how i do it).....To add ne springs I put one side of the spring in and pull the other side of the spring with the vice grips or I use an FMF exhaust spring puller (only works one way) or some take the shoes off...I have never tried it this way but I will next time

I have a generic 2 stroke manual on my technical bulletins web page...It has pics

When testinf and tuning you don't have to pull all the bolts back into the side case....Use the long one and and or two on each side of the case...as long as the rear shaft has support

Good luck

riding4fun
07-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Well I finally had time to put the 2000 clutch springs and roller weights in. I put (3)5.0 and (3) 4.5's and I am pleased with the outcome. With it being 110 out I don't have the patience to keep fiddling with the weights for now.

It is a big improvement

I was advised that some 07 50's came with the 4.5 rollers and some had 3.5. How do I tell the difference between the two. The rollers in the 50 currently are black.

Darrell

bulldogfallon
07-17-2007, 06:18 PM
The 50s come with 3.5 gram rollers unless an error is made at the factory (this does happen).....

You can buy a gram scale at amercianweigh.com around $20

The 90s that I have seen have 6.5 gram rollers stock (this seems to be too heavy) so we have be recomending 4.75-4.8 gram rollers for stock applications

Your first line was about your 90....(just so nobody gets confused)

riding4fun
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Oops sorry,

Yes, the first part was for the 90.

the second for the 50. Would it make a big difference if I went with 3.25 rollers instead of 3.50. What would be the advantage / disadvantage. (referring to the 50)

Thanks Bulldog

bulldogfallon
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
I sometimes use 3.2 gram on the 50.....especially if the child is not throttle heavy....

You can always do 200' drag runs with a stop watch to see which is faster and you can also mark the top of the pulley with a black marker to see how hight the belt is riding

The problem is that the belt is probably a little short....I have a nice belt that we use with a different variator on the 70s

Never tried it on our 50 since it is not allowed in our stock class

Give me a call we can chat about it.....

You could also use this belt if you have a 1/2mm spacer and put it between the pulley (if you use the stock variator) or I think the variator face can be cut too....

I have a local shop that can do one for you.....then I can ship it to you ....Then you could always go back to stock and do some A to B comparisons

Hope this helps

I will check on that axle and see if it can be shipped to Forgiven

riding4fun
07-17-2007, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

I will check on that axle and see if it can be shipped to Forgiven [/B]

I shipped it to him last week. No worries

Full Throttle00
07-23-2007, 12:26 AM
I use an awl ice pick type or a very small ( strong) phillips screw driver Keep away from that chineeze junk