PDA

View Full Version : ICAT spark enhancer

CarGuy7a
06-29-2007, 10:30 PM
just wandering but do you all think that this thing is worth $189.
I mean is it really that huge of a difference.

and if it makes a longer spark would that make it run hotter?

GPracer2500
06-29-2007, 11:31 PM
I've never used one, so I can't speak from experience. But I've read a lot of anecdotal evidence from those that have tried them. The conclusion I've come to is it's not worth the asking price. I've never seen one shred of credible evidence that demonstrated any meaningful performance improvement. I've looked. All I've ever found was something like, "oh yeah, I put one on my bike and it was great!" That doesn't mean much to me when it comes to this kind of product.

Lots of folks say they couldn't discern one bit of difference. Other folks say it did make a difference. The people that say they could tell a difference leave me wondering if they've fallen victim to the power of suggestion (a common and understandable pitfall when you've just spend $200 of something that claims to make your engine run better). I've also wondered if the difference in opinions has to do with the iCAT just helping compensate for poor jetting. Personally, I disregard magazine (and other published) reviews as being little more than paid advertisments.

What I don't get is iCAT says this on their website:
"Unfortunately, a Dyno is NOT the way to test an iKat. The iKat provides the engine with a stronger and different shaped spark - it does not change the power characteristics of the engine more over it greatly enhances the power that is already available.
Yet they also claim--

"iKAT is actively promoting that it:

* Increase’s power under load
* Improves throttle response
* Reduces Engine operating temperature
* Reduce fuel consumption
* Reduce exhaust emissions
* Increase torque and responsiveness"

If it increases power under load and increases torque, why wouldn't that show up on a dyno? Aside from peak numbers, why couldn't time-to-speed dyno runs be used? I just can't make it add up. :ermm: If anyone can convince me I should spend $180 on an iCAT instead of some other performance enhancement, I'm all ears. But be forewarned: without quantitative evidence it's going to take an awfully persuasive arguement to convince me. Maybe if I ran out of ways to spend money on my ATV I'd try an iCAT.

FYI, they recently changed their name from iCAT to iKAT so you'll see both names used.

$0.02

CarGuy7a
06-29-2007, 11:50 PM
sounds like you've done alot of research on this. and yes i think i agree with you on this thing being sort of an easy fix for incorrect jetting.

to me it almost sounds like you would actually have to richen the mixture with it having a longer spark. even though they claim rejetting is not required.

i think all it would do is just burn off the excess gas that is not burnt in a rich condition.

i really wasn't planning on spending the $$$$$ on one of these i was just wanting to get some info on them b/c like you have said i've read the same with people saying yeah you can feel a difference.

and like you said as well, if it can't be proven on the dyno it's wasted $$$$.

CarGuy7a
06-29-2007, 11:58 PM
also while we are on the subject of ignition products.

will the Spark's timing advance work well with the mods i have done?

will it run hotter?

81 clark racing
06-30-2007, 07:52 AM
i have the icat yea imo not worth the money. i did feel better
* throttle response
* Increase torque and responsiveness" and it deff helped out my jetting. but i dont think its worth the 189. and for the adv timeing key yes it will generate more heat however i ride mine in 90 100 deg temperature and mine has been fine. and yes that gives a big increase in throttle response and low end power deff worth 20 BUCKS!

CarGuy7a
06-30-2007, 02:33 PM
so probably if i put the key in. would it help to go a little rich on the jetting to help out the heat?
i ride in about the same weather temps as well.