PDA

View Full Version : big problem starting

ProjectLTR450
06-29-2007, 10:21 PM
i have the hardest time starting my quad for the frist time of the day that i ride.once it is started it will start back up unless i wait like 2-3 hours then try restarting it. it wont start after. please i need to know ASAP!!!!!!!!!:ermm:

ingleful
07-01-2007, 04:19 PM
the same thing was happening to me....its a wireing problem ...take off your front plastic and check all your wires..

it used to not start at all then i would go tell my dad and he would come out and it would start right up...he thought i was dumb:(

ProjectLTR450
07-01-2007, 09:45 PM
all right thanks im going to check that tomorrow

ingleful
07-01-2007, 09:49 PM
if that doesnt work then check your battery cables and fuses

ProjectLTR450
07-02-2007, 11:21 AM
nope that dident work got any other idea's?? my pim and fimak tell me that i have no injector pulse of rpms

ingleful
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
we'll now i have know idea whats wrong with it...did you check your battery and what not?

ProjectLTR450
07-02-2007, 05:07 PM
yea it did nothing.... but i got it start today the only way was to have the air lid on idk why and i cant get the thing to idle....

hondaracer31
07-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Check the swirl tank filter. Sounds like it might be plugged.

blholtz
07-03-2007, 08:16 AM
If, when you get it started, does it cut out and die if you blip the throttle quickly? Also does it have an erratic idle?

If it has these issues this is were if found the problem in mine. It is the fuel pressure regulator. The darn thing is stuck partially open and not allowing the fuel pump to keep the right pressure to the injector.

To fix:

Drain the tank and remove.

The fuel pressure regulator is on the bottom of the fuel tank.

Remove regulator, if you can blow air through the regulator while holding your finger of the outlet that goes to the injector, then you have just found your problem.

I just knocked on the side of my regulator with the a screwdriver handle and squirted some brake cleaner through it. WD -40 would probably a better choice for this, but it was all that I had on hand.

Also noticed that the only times that I have had this issue is after I have run VP U-4 in the quad. I don't know for certain that is the cause, but I am suspicious of the oxygenating agent in it, dont' know for sure but I hope this helps.

ProjectLTR450
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
yea it must be the vp cuz i ran a tank of that like a half a week ago and now its starting to do what you said

ProjectLTR450
07-03-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Check the swirl tank filter. Sounds like it might be plugged.

What is the swirl tank filter???

hanes17
07-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Could be your valves.

AL Elks
07-03-2007, 07:36 PM
The absolute first thing to do is get a shop manual.

The swirl tank filter is under the gas tank. All the fuel lines connect to it. You have to lift the fuel tank up to get to it. When you take it apart there is a flat fuel screen in there. I'd replace that first. Here's some more info on the fuel system:

FUEL FILTER
Inside the swirl tank (small reservoir attached to the petcock) there is a small fuel filter. This filter needs only to be replaced maybe every six months to a year if you run pump gas. But- with some race fuels, the filter needs to be changed frequently. Some race fuels will dissolve the filter. The symptoms of a bad filter are when the bike inexplicably starts to cut out. Usually in the air off of jumps with a chopped throttle.

If your LT-R starts to show these symptoms, go to your dealer and buy a few of the filters and the O-ring gasket for the swirl tank (just in case you break the original) and replace the filter. We recommend cleaning the fuel pressure regulator at this time as well.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR ISSUES
If your LT-R becomes hard to start and is running poorly, for no apparent reason, often times it could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Or, if you’ve had fuel filter issues due to corrosive race gas, the units can become clogged from either debris or corrosion. The normal 42psi pressure can be reduced below 40psi, and things start to go bad. The unit can be cleaned by removing it from the quad, and cleaning with contact cleaner and. We also like to use an air hose to blow out any potential debris.

FUEL LINES
Keeping your fuel lines and water lines cool and protected will make the rubber last a lot longer by protecting it from the heat. The race team uses a heat wrap that is made by CV-4. It looks good and improves durability.

If that doesn't fix it I'd definitely check the battery first. Even a new battery can be bad and not give you enough power to start the motor when it is cold.

After that I'd check the valves. They could be out of adjustment enough to cause this problem.