View Full Version : bent axle? wheel bearings? axle bearings?

TrapZ400
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Well today I noticed that my axle is bent. What replacement axle should I get? I just need the stock width axle. I don't need the most expensive one, I just need one that will last longer than the stock one. Im kinda short on cash. Also what sites have the best prices on axles? And how hard is it to put in and could I do it in my garage at my house?

My left front wheel wiggles a lot and the lug nut bolts are tight so I must need new bearings. How hard are they to put in and could they be done in my garage at my house?

When I have my quad up on a stand and I hold one of the back tires and pull up it moves and I can hear it move. The whole axle pretty much wiggles up and down. I pretty sure I need new axle bearings. How hard are they to put in and could they be done in my garage at my house? I just have the normal everyday type tools.

honda6490
06-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Front wheel bearings are easy yes you can do those. I'm not sure how mechanicly inclined you are but my guess is you should be able to put the axle/axle carrier bearings in without too much trouble.

indyZrider
06-30-2007, 12:23 AM
while the bearings are easy to take out they are not so easy to put back in. i would just take the old ones out and buy new ones then take them and the hubs and carrier to a shop and have them pressed in. it doesnt cost much for the shop just to press them in. 20 or 30 bucks and you know they will be right and not damaged. rocky mountain atv sell decent axles for a good price and yes it sounds like your carrier bearings are shot but take out your axle and carrier first to check it out because the stock bearing carriers are prone to breaking in half. it all depends on where your axle broke. theres a good chance you carrier is broke to.

TrapZ400
06-30-2007, 09:06 AM
If the carrier is broken what kind should I get another stock one or an aftermarket one? How much do they cost?

indyZrider
07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
what kind of riding do you do? you jump big? if so then get a new swinger like a houser or laegers. if you are jumping big and thats how you broke the axle the swinger is not far behind. they dont hold up very well being aluminum. but if you broke it some other way then youll probably be fine with a new carrier if yours is broke. ive seen them around for about 200 bucks new or you could check ebay or z400central for a used one. personally if you can afford it then i would get a new swinger. my houser is sweet. i dont know what suzuki was thinking when they put that style of swinger on the Z.

TrapZ400
07-01-2007, 01:50 PM
dude I dont know if I can afford a new swingarm, Buying the bearings and axle and stuff is probably going to take a lot of money out of me and I probably wont be able to afford to get anything else for awhile.

I do jump a lot
theres some pictures of me in this thread below
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300963&perpage=13&pagenumber=5

jgehring16
07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
I just replaced my carrier and bearings in the swing arm and it ran me around $200 from the dealer. With another $200 you can get a G-Force axle from www.rockymountainatv.com. I would highly recommend this axle as it is stronger than stock but cheaper than getting it from the dealer.

mojavedude
07-05-2007, 08:07 AM
im 15 and i just replaced my front wheel bearinfs for the first time last weekend. just be gentle putting them in and make sure its a clean surface. changing wheel bearings took me less than an hour for one side. oh and pack the whole thing with grease.

wheel bearings are not hard either again, just pack the grease in there as much as you can.