PDA

View Full Version : Results of no O-rings on carrier

heavyonthegas
06-29-2007, 05:45 AM
So I read through this thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=301927) and heard there are people who don't replace the o-rings on the outside of the carrier when they get a new one.

When I took my stock carrier out, there was no wide flat ones even there! I didn't even know about them until that thread! My carrier only had the two thin ones near the ends.

My question is, does anyone have any horror stories that were brought on by NOT putting new o-rings over the carrier?

Thanks!

400exrider707
06-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by heavyonthegas
So I read through this thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=301927) and heard there are people who don't replace the o-rings on the outside of the carrier when they get a new one.

When I took my stock carrier out, there was no wide flat ones even there! I didn't even know about them until that thread! My carrier only had the two thin ones near the ends.

My question is, does anyone have any horror stories that were brought on by NOT putting new o-rings over the carrier?

Thanks!

What horror stories would you have? The rubber rings are on the outside dimension of the carrier, even if water and sand gets in there its not going to do anything, other than make the carrier a little harder to turn to tighten the chain.

heavyonthegas
06-29-2007, 06:28 AM
Thats what I was thinking as well - but I wanted to hear from someone who has a lot of use on their carrier w/o o-rings. I can't afford to replace this carrier again (or my swingarm) in the next 6 mo just because I didnt put rings on!

Dill
06-29-2007, 08:48 AM
when I bought my 250R in 1996, it had the stock carrier, and no o rings. When I finally replaced the stock carrier in 2001, it still had no o rings. The replacement carrier had no o rings either, and when I parted it out in 2004 everything was fine.

400exrider707
06-29-2007, 09:20 AM
Thats what I was thinking as well - but I wanted to hear from someone who has a lot of use on their carrier w/o o-rings. I can't afford to replace this carrier again (or my swingarm) in the next 6 mo just because I didnt put rings on!

Most people in the other thread were getting confused because for whatever reason they were thinking by not having the rubber gaskets, water and dirt and crap were going to get into the bearing areas on their carriers.

<DRS>GPF
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM
but you could advance corrosion of the carrier.. fluid will act as an electrolyte from the aluminum to the steel.

of course if you dont get into alot of water, particularly really stagnant or salty water..

heavyonthegas
06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Is the stock swingarm made of aluminum? If so I should be golden because the carrier I bought from burgard is also aluminum.

Thanks!

NacsMXer
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Is the stock swingarm made of aluminum? If so I should be golden because the carrier I bought from burgard is also aluminum.

Thanks!

Yes, it is cast aluminum. I also run a Burgard twin row carrier in mine....you don't need the O-rings, don't sweat it.

heavyonthegas
06-29-2007, 10:03 PM
sweet. Thanks for all the info!