PDA

View Full Version : 4-stroke topend rebuild

SET THE STAGE
06-29-2007, 01:49 AM
okay, so i'm still a bit new to 4-strokes. how much money am i looking at giving to the shop to have them do a full topend rebuild for me?

by full i mean just freshening pretty much. not looking at a big bore kit or a fancy valve job. just like a new bore and piston, new valves and maybe springs, etc.

also, it's on a 300ex.

u_want_some
06-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Well you can get a top end rebuild kit off Ebay for anywhere between $150-200, depending on what you want. Are you capable of performing the work yourself? Do you have a Honda ervice Manual for the 300?

SET THE STAGE
06-29-2007, 11:10 AM
i have the manual, but it's not something i'll be capable of doing myself. i'll need a new bore and everything

wilkin250r
07-03-2007, 01:02 AM
You have a couple options.

You can pick up a piston kit (piston, rings, gaskets, ect) for $150-200, and do most of the work yourself. A shop would be required for the actual boring and honing, but it's only about $60 if it's already apart, no need to pay them to disassemble. This assumes the head is still in good condition.

Add about $200 for a complete head rebuild (new valves, valve guides, springs, and installation). Often the intake valves are still good, so only exhaust valves need replacing, so costs can vary siginficantly. Last time I did it, I think I paid $130 total. This isn't something you can do yourself, a shop would need to handle the whole head from beginning to end.

If you don't feel comfortable wrenching yourself, add about $300 in shop labor for them to do it all from beginning to end.