PDA

View Full Version : DS650 Baja Sport ? need input plz!

blueyeace1
06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Any1 know anything about the ds650 quads?
They anygood for trail ridding,hill climbing,mudding ?
Good quality quad?
Can any1 give me any input on the DS650 Quads?

:confused:

quads14589
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
they have a good midrange and high end, they are fast machines top heavy and heavy. they are decent trail quads just like raptors becuase they have the low end that you need and they will be able to go threw the type of mud that any other sport quad can make it threw. they were mainly made for the dunes

LTR450_#67
06-27-2007, 03:50 PM
They are BIG and on the heavy side. I haven't ridden one in a while but a friend of mine in highschool got one when they just came out and I was like I gotta ride it! You can get some power out of them from the Ron Woods packages. Then they pull like a freight train!!! I guy I know started racing MX (B4 the 450s came out)on one, lets put it this way.... he never got beat to the first corner. He now rides a YFZ though. The DS's aren't realy made for the tight stuff.....

blueyeace1
06-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks alot for the input...I fig they look kinda heavy and that im trying to stay away from.
:macho

CannondaleRider
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
Overall, it's an awesome bike.

It really depends on the type of riding you will be doing.

If your doing tight stuff.....not a prefered bike for that. Same goes for fast turns, or jumps that require finesse. You don't move this bike in the air....it's all trajectory.

Desert, fast, rough riding.....DS650's are absolutely amazing.

I run a DS650 Baja X in the Best in the Desert series. There isn't another bike I would want to run that series with. It has the reliability and strength to make it to the finish line, no matter how hard you push it. The one I run has 16-38 or 17-38 gearing.....I carried my GPS on me on one of my legs of the BITD Hendersons Terrible 400, and on the one powerline road we hit, for a span of 4 miles or so, I hit 102mph. BUT, it was still almost impossible to stall. The best term I can think of for the low end, is "tractor". In first gear, it will chug along at RPM's you wouldn't even think it would stay running at, and will still snap back and pull like a freakin freight train.

Not only is it great in the desert power wise, even with the stock suspension our race bike has, it's a freakin cadillac. It will absorb high speed hits that would put you on your head on any other bike. On some of the desert races whooped out washes, race truck whoops that are 3 or 4 foot deep, you can actually get away with sitting down on some sections(not that you would choose to, but I have, and it's doable) It can be a pain to get the bike into a rythm on some whoops, but once it's on top, it just floats. You have to experience it to understand.

The one thing to think about, is the size and weight.....of the bike, but more over, of YOU. I'm 6'4" and 220+....and the 650 is still a workout to ride at a fast pace. So if you are a small frame at all, it's probably not a good idea.

JMann2380
06-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Great post Cannondalerider. I have had my DS since 04 and it is perfect for me. I like the fact that not everyone has one and they are pretty unique. The suspension is awesome, comfy seat, wide, etc. It is heavy(er), but I don't notice the weight jumping at all, she flies pretty good for a 500lb quad. And if you start looking at the quality and the size, you will notice the extra weight comes from just being bigger, wider, and over-built.

I think it boils down to what size you are, if you are a bigger guy (I am 320lbs) or tall you will love the DS, if you arn't, there are better choices.

http://www.bombquad.com/images/sta1.jpg

http://www.bombquad.com/images/sta2.jpg

http://www.bombquad.com/images/sta3.jpg

LTR450_#67
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice pics JMann2380. I always kinda liked the Baja X's.

blueyeace1
06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
hey Thanks alot guys on the input !
I never ran any dunes or even any sandy areas only rocks,hills,mud,woods in all of my areas here in Pa and lots of coal dust...lol
Someday i really would like to find some1 to take me on a nice ride..head to the dunes and give it a try..but i have no idea where or what to do...lol
Im 42 years old and not getting any younger but i dont think i will ever giveup on my dirt bikes and quads...but i also have 2 teen age sons follwing right behind me and they love there quadsand having a blast ridding.

:macho

KB Motorsports
07-01-2007, 12:46 AM
I have a DS Baja.. I really like it, but they really need to come out with some type of stabilizer from the factory.. Its really bad..

The suspension soaks up bumps and small logs.. Climbs hills very good.. Not as tippy as the raptor660.

I also feel it has more power.. Its not that big as everyone claims.. then again i have a plus 2 YFZ.. so i guess i might be used to wide things in the woods.

Outlaw 50
07-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Looks like Can-Am has discontinued the DS650, they're no longer listed on the website.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/

CannondaleRider
07-01-2007, 02:29 PM
That was kind of their flagship bike for a long time, and their is still a large market for big-bore bikes. I wouldn't understand them stopping production.

What I'm hoping, is that they pulled it off their showlist temporarily, and will bring it back out when they have their next reveal in August(or is it September?). I've got my fingers crossed that it will come out as a BIG brother to the 450...with all the same innovations. Except for the aluminum a-arms.....my desert team and I have completely, and utterly annihilated the stock 650 A-arms....I wouldn't trust aluminum a-arms in desert racing.

Imagine a DS650 with the aluminum dual-pyrimidal frame, maybe a new engine(for sure, just as reliable though) with fuel injection, a front end design similiar to the 450, to stop the kickback from all the rocks in the desert......I'd have a new desert bike also.:D

JMann2380
07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
*** droollllllllll*** I wish!