PDA

View Full Version : building a house

mod440ex
06-27-2007, 02:56 PM
i am looking at maybe building a house here in missouri and i am wanting to know if someone out here can help me out? i am trying to figure what it will cost me,roughly, to do the foundation and run the hvac. the basment would be around 60x30 and the total square footage would be around 3500 including the basement. if anyone could help me out i would apreciate it.

05Z400rdr
06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
id get my dad to give u a basic estimate if he wasnt so busy.. he's actually away doing an estimate as we speak.. lol

Landon

ZeroLogic
06-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Are you building it yourself? Or your hiring workers to do it? I am a framer and its not simple.:o

05Z400rdr
06-27-2007, 06:29 PM
its not that hard... unless you dont do it all the time then yeah, it may be a challenge. but when its what i do almost everyday...its not that bad at all.

mod440ex
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
i talked with a guy thats going to be building it, but i have not got anybody lined out for the hvac or the foundation. thats what i am needing to find out about what i can expect to pay for both.

whiteboycustom
06-27-2007, 06:38 PM
just plan to spend 140,000 grand and end the end u will have a house u will like or buy land and pay about 80,000 and get a nice double wide trailor

06-27-2007, 06:41 PM
poured walls goes anywhere from 40-50 bucks a foot, thats tile, pearock, foundation, the wall and labor...

ZeroLogic
06-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
its not that hard... unless you dont do it all the time then yeah, it may be a challenge. but when its what i do almost everyday...its not that bad at all.

Oh how worng you are.:rolleyes:

mod440ex
06-28-2007, 12:28 AM
my great uncle has like 600acres and im hoping maybe he will just sell me some real cheap or give me some, but how awesome will that be 600 acre backyard :macho

my88r
06-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

i second that . its hard you half to know what your doing and how to lay out. having blueprints of what you want will help you. theres alot of math involved too. your best bet is a modular house.

mod440ex
06-28-2007, 03:30 AM
i dont know, i may go look at some prefab houses they looked pretty cool

TWISTED
06-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by my88r
i second that . its hard you half to know what your doing and how to lay out. having blueprints of what you want will help you. theres alot of math involved too. your best bet is a modular house.

If you go modular, make sure you check the builder out thoroughly!!!! I'm speaking from experience...... There are some great modulars out there, but there are some really, really crappy ones too.....

ZeroLogic
06-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Were currently putting an addition and a deck on a Modular home. I will never buy one. There are NO STUDS, under the shingles there is two inches of foam and thats it. I would stay away from them.

It is much more then swinging a hammer also. A lot and I mean a lot of math involved.

416exfreak
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Zerologic.....souds like you got one of the chitty ones...

ZeroLogic
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Zerologic.....souds like you got one of the chitty ones...

It ain't ****ty, its just that I'd feel better with a house that had 2x6 and 2x4 studs, instead of that interlocking crap.

05Z400rdr
06-28-2007, 01:56 PM

oh yeah..so wrong :rolleyes: i said i do it almost everyday n i have very excellent math and carpentry skills. maybe its hard for you, but not for me. duh

ZeroLogic
06-28-2007, 02:24 PM
oh yeah..so wrong :rolleyes: i said i do it almost everyday n i have very excellent math and carpentry skills. maybe its hard for you, but not for me. duh

You are 15 years old, just stop right there. You do not have skills for this trade, especially at your age. And by your profile, I highly doutb that you are a contractor.:o

06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
depends on the home. obviously most custom you get the harder it is going to be, but the homes we build are super easy to frame and build...for a while we were slamming up one a week almost

05Z400rdr
06-28-2007, 02:42 PM
You are 15 years old, just stop right there. You do not have skills for this trade, especially at your age. And by your profile, I highly doutb that you are a contractor.:o

wow u can read :eek: n just fyi ive been doing it since i was 7 or 8 years old. and by my profile huh? whats on my profile that makes u think im not a contractor huh? i really dont give a $h!t what you think, i know i am, and i know that for ME it isnt that hard to do. and who r u to know i dont have "the skills for the trade?" it sounds like you are the one that doesnt. now stop bein a baby, really. ur not kool just cuz u can start an argument over the internet, thats just immature. i never tried to argue with u, i just said for sum1 with experience it may not be that hard. but i guess u thiought u had to be kool i guess :rolleyes:

ZeroLogic
06-28-2007, 03:08 PM
wow u can read :eek: n just fyi ive been doing it since i was 7 or 8 years old. and by my profile huh? whats on my profile that makes u think im not a contractor huh? i really dont give a $h!t what you think, i know i am, and i know that for ME it isnt that hard to do. and who r u to know i dont have "the skills for the trade?" it sounds like you are the one that doesnt. now stop bein a baby, really. ur not kool just cuz u can start an argument over the internet, thats just immature. i never tried to argue with u, i just said for sum1 with experience it may not be that hard. but i guess u thiought u had to be kool i guess :rolleyes:

No need to be cool over the internet. Calling someone names isn't imature? I am not arguing with you, I am simply proving a point. Not everyone can swing a hammer. You don't gain a skill from in just a few years, I highly doutb that you were on a ladder putting rafters up at the age of 8 though;) Oh and by the way, Occupation contractor . A contractor is someone who gets the jobs and then subs them out to the workers. IE framer drywallers roofers. If you want to debate this more you can pm me your screen name and we can talk about this a little more.

05Z400rdr
06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
No need to be cool over the internet. Calling someone names isn't imature? I am not arguing with you, I am simply proving a point. Not everyone can swing a hammer. You don't gain a skill from in just a few years, I highly doutb that you were on a ladder putting rafters up at the age of 8 though;) Oh and by the way, Occupation contractor . A contractor is someone who gets the jobs and then subs them out to the workers. IE framer drywallers roofers. If you want to debate this more you can pm me your screen name and we can talk about this a little more.

i know what u mean bout every1 not being able to swing a hammer. but i am skilled in this area. your right, i was not on the ladder hanging rafters at that young, but i was doing most of the cutting and nailing on of joist hangers, until i was more capable of doing so. but, we hang most of ours with a lift anyways.. lol. yes, i am a contractor. it is my dad and 2 of his brother's business that they started. the name : top quality construction. under the name: builder, general contractor. not trying to argue, but just because we are contractors doesnt mean that we sub everything out. in fact, we hardly sub anything out anymore. yeah i know some contractors do do that, but we seldomly do. if u want my sn u can ask for it, but it seems like this confusion was cleared up. so no hard feelings.

ZeroLogic
06-28-2007, 03:28 PM
but it seems like this confusion was cleared up. so no hard feelings.

Fo' sho. Just a bit of a mix up.

mod440ex
06-28-2007, 07:53 PM
well sounds like we got off track a little. i went and looked at some modular homes, wardcraft.com, they are very nice homes but not for the money. they showed me a 1700sq ft home that was 150gs. sounds kinda high to me plus it didnt come with any floor coverings, no appliances, and still have to drop money for a basement and have an electrician come out and hook up the ac and heater.

mod440ex
06-28-2007, 07:54 PM
oh and these things where built more like an actual home, 2x6 and 2x4 studs everywhere

orca0294
06-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I'd suggest checking out contractortalk.com
also - there are many estimating programs or construction management programs but they seem to be a very rough estimating system and some track home plans come with a estimate based upon your region.

milburn
06-29-2007, 12:51 AM
Look at barnes homes there outside warensberg on 50 highway they are alot cheaper then wardcraft

mod440ex
06-29-2007, 02:00 AM
is that the one right by the exit for whiteman afb

biker
06-29-2007, 11:51 AM
One thing to keep in mind building a house or buying a modular, you get what you pay for!! Here's a thought that has'nt been thrown at you yet! What kinda resale value do you think you would get out of a modular home after say living in it for say 10 years versus a quality built home! keep this in mind when making your decision! Also you should think about sq. footage, # of bedrooms, # of bathrooms etc. these are all items that can make a difference when reselling. You are probably wondering why I'm bringing up the resale so much? It's important to think about these things cause you never know what the future may hold for you, hell you might build this house and score that ultimate job that you would have to sell and relocate, and lastly the best advice I recieved when building my house was, it's better to do the things you want right from the get go then to wish you would have done it when you were building! Goodluck in what you decide:cool:

milburn
06-29-2007, 12:42 PM
no barnshomes is going the other way on 50 highway west there should be a website. modular homes are built better than manufacted homes. i live outside richmond

mod440ex
06-29-2007, 07:41 PM
did you buy one of their homes, if so did you put a basemnet. about how much did it cost.we looked at some up at chillicothe and with an 1800sq ft home on the same size basement i was looking at around 145k

milburn
06-30-2007, 01:15 AM
I was going to buy a modular from them but couldn"t get the full amount for the loan.

milburn
06-30-2007, 01:16 AM
i was going to do a 4 foot crawl space.

mod440ex
06-30-2007, 03:10 PM
we went to new castle homes today up at harrisonville and they had some really nice homes for really reasonable prices. think that might be the route we go

milburn
07-01-2007, 01:20 AM
Did they have any single wides like a trailer?I wanted to build but couldn"t afford wanted a modular couldn"t get a construction loan so now maybe a single wide.

harescrambles
07-01-2007, 09:46 AM
biker ,,,as given you some sound advice.

Also' FYI if the modular home is built on a metal frame it is considered just like buying a trailer and in return (loose value), it's very possible in ten years you could owe more than it's worth.

mod440ex
07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
the new castle homes were extremely nice, and quite affordable. they had some 3b 2 bath homes for 93k. They were really nice and i do believe they would haggle on their prices. Modular homes will appreciate in value because they apraise them just like built on site homes. and they use 2x6 exterior studs with 16 in centers. really nice homes.

go too nch.net for more info

mod440ex
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
trust me i asked all the questions. a modular home is one that is set on a foundation and cannot be moved. a manufactured home, trailers or anything built on metal frame, is something that can be moved from foundation to foundation.

has far has resale, the modular homes are compared with homes that are built on site homes, and manufactured homes are compared with other trailers in the area.

biker
07-02-2007, 06:33 AM
first off dude any home can be moved! 2nd a modular home salesman is like a car salesman will tell you anything you want to here!:rolleyes: just givin a little advice from past experiences! But hey it's your money and I'm sure you will be happy in your decisions.

mod440ex
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
i didnt just talk to home salesman, i talked to builders, bankers, and realtors, so i feel my info is pretty reliable. these were built with 2x6 exteriors with 16in centers, and iv talked to alot of people who have site build homes and they say theirs are 2x4 exteriors on 24in centers. everything iv heard says that these kinda homes are very stury.

mod440ex
07-02-2007, 07:45 AM
and let me restate what i said earlier. anything that has steel beams on the flooring is considered a manufactured, or mobile home.

biker
07-03-2007, 08:18 AM
I understand what you are saying mod440ex I'm not trying to argue with you bud only trying to help;) ! when building you can specify what you want,be it 2x4 or 2x6 walls. The reason most people will tell you that there homes have 2x4 walls is anything above that most look at as extra lumber= more money and overkill but to each is own! I guess the biggest downfall to a modular home is they are'nt fully built on site, they show up as a kit and assembled when you purchase one of these homes there will be no "can we move this doorway to here instead of here" or I would like to make this change or that change once it shows up on your property in a sense it's already built so you won't be able to make any big changes it's already done! Lastly bud I'm a adult on this site who has been down the road of building my own house(not bragging) and you learn from other peoples mistakes! and I'm only trying to help a fellow rider out!:)

mod440ex
07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
i do know what your talking about. im just trying to get the most house for my money. im not real picky on stuff being moved around, my wife takes care of that for me. i did some asking around and everybody i talked to said that we could add on to the house just like any other. one good thing about them not being built on site is that it, being the wood, is not sitting out in the elements because the are built in a building. i have checked with some builders around and i just cant get the same amount of house that i can get with the modular.