PDA

View Full Version : Alberta sand dunes???

Alberta EX
10-27-2001, 04:24 PM
Are there any sand dunes in Alberta or western Canada that allow ATV riding?? Every one I find is protected, do I have to do a road trip to the USA??, Oregon or Idaho are 12 to 15 hours away, so it would be nice to find something closer to home

10-27-2001, 04:51 PM
Brule Lake, Just outside Hinton, I was there on the last long weekend, excellent riding.:huh

Alberta EX
10-27-2001, 05:09 PM
Brule lake, thats close enough, what type of dune riding is there?
Is it trails or big hills or riding along the lakes edge?. I take it there are no riding restrictions out that way. What are the directions from Hinton to get to the lake? Thanks biglazyass!!!

10-28-2001, 12:19 AM
The only way I know is this, if you are going west through Hinton, Take your first right just past the Overlander Lodge, if thats familliar, and follow the road, it is a crappy road so you may want to park near the opening you will come too. The riding is some trail, and mostly dunes. It runs right along side the Athabasca River, nice scenery and lots of challenging hills.:D

RipinItUp 400EX
01-23-2006, 07:17 PM
So I guess the best time to go would be in the summer or fall when the river is low or does it matter? And how far from town is it where you unload?

blasterfan
01-26-2006, 02:06 PM
brule is a great place to ride, i was here last summer for a few days and had a great time

my ported blaster didnt have any problems with the hills tho, but there is one were guys on cr500s and **** couldnt make it up lol :eek2:

john.E.business
02-07-2006, 01:20 AM
yea i have heard brule is good and its not to far from spruce grove which is nice i will definetly be checking it out this summer...but i heard for some of the hills you need paddle tires??

cr250ryder
02-08-2006, 11:22 PM
don't worry bout a dune tire its makes it better with a dune tire ya... but u shouldn't need it me and my buddies went there last summer a couple times and only one of us had a dune tire and he was on a kx125. i was climbin the monster hill easy on my cr 250 with stock tire but if ya head out there this summer e-mail i'll maybe meet ya out there its only bout an hour from where i live. actually i have some pics of parts of the dunes if ne one is curious.not the best pics but oh well

john.E.business
02-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Yea i heard you can do it without but i wouldn't mind throwing on some paddles to try them out... yea i have a couple buddies who went out there one on a cr250 and a kx250 said it was awesome so once my hockey season is over i will be going there...But if it works you can make it out there to would be good to have some friends who know there way around.

cr250ryder
02-08-2006, 11:27 PM
ya for sure ... can't wait to take my new bike to the dunes this year

john.E.business
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Yea well with this nice weather should be able to go sooner then later... but i added you to my buddy list so i will let you know when i'll be out in your neck of the woods!!!:devil:

cr250ryder
02-08-2006, 11:30 PM
alright sounds good ..

RipinItUp 400EX
02-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Ya I wouldnt mind seein some picks of the dunes. also some better directions if you dont mind!! And I guess summer and fall would be the best time to ride when the water is low??

john.E.business
02-09-2006, 12:33 PM
Yea some picks would be great? im not to worried about directions i have family and friends from hinton that know where it is... and is there any jumps?

blasterfan
02-17-2006, 08:57 PM
ill post some pics up from last year abit later,

me and about 15 ours are going up july 5-10th,

john.E.business
02-18-2006, 04:07 AM
yea that would be sweet july 5-10th eh may have to make a trip then....

Bullitt
02-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Definately don't need paddle tires at brule lake, just drop the air pressure in your tires and you'll be fine. There is nothing there that demands a paddle tire (unless your on a dirtbike), it is not really steep sand dunes, more like small to medium rolling sand hills. It is still a great place to ride though. There are also sand dunes that are located north of Fort Macmurry, never been there but I heard is about 3hour quad ride just to get to the sand, so you have to take extra fuel. I would save my money and go to St. Anthonys any day! It is worth the trip.:D

john.E.business
02-26-2006, 11:58 AM
St Anthony's? isn't that in oregon? or cali? neways i would have to save for awhile im not making enough money playing junior hockey lol... but thnx for the info about brule...

JOEX
02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by john.E.business
St Anthony's? isn't that in oregon? or cali? neways i would have to save for awhile im not making enough money playing junior hockey lol... but thnx for the info about brule...
Idaho;) Not very far from Yellowstone.....

john.E.business
02-27-2006, 03:42 AM
still abit far away for this guy does it require paddles?

JOEX
02-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by john.E.business
still abit far away for this guy does it require paddles?
Yes, if you really want to enjoy the dunes:cool:

blasterfan
03-03-2006, 06:30 AM
ok first, the dunes are only 2 hours out of edmonton

second, the dunes are only about a 5 min ride away

thrid, yes there are some dunes that are very steep, so steep that guys on cr250, cr500 couldnt make it up, they were all powering out LOL

comp hill is kinda steep ( dont look steep in pics) but it is steep, it was funny watching kids on 300ex and some 400ex and a z400 not make it up LOL

if your wanting to come to brule

talk to me somtime on msn , my msn thing is blasterfan@hotmail.com

bubbag
03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Hmmm Looks like fun :devil:

1988 250R
TCS Triple Rates w/Res
TCS Dual Rate Rear w/res
FMF Fatty Pipe
ESR 38mm keihin airstryker
ESR CR Ignition
ESR Airbox Eliminator