View Full Version : More Front Suspension Questions

whc
06-27-2007, 01:26 PM
posted previously about widning my front and improving my shocks, one of the post I was reading mentioned long travel verse standard travel, so if I am going to spend the money should I also opt for more travel? It would seem that increased travel would give my a cushier ride and possibly bettter slow speed steering. whats the verdict, whos tried what. Bill

XXXRACER165
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
What machine is it??

Ace Sixx
06-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Long travel does not necessarily equate to more wheel travel. It merely refers to a longer shock. Worth it if you can afford it but not a necessity.

buster024
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
I just installed long travel this week, and haven't actually been able to ride yet, but the research I did on it, seemed to be that long travel was a significant performance improvement over a standard travel shock of the same quality. I spoke to several shock manufacturers (of course they have a little bias to the more expensive product), and each of them stressed the fact that long travel were notably better performers for most types of riding over stock.
Whether it's worth it to your pocketbook or not, is something that will be different for everyone. I was fortunate, and was able to find some great deals on used equipment, or it would have been out of my range. I do know for a fact though, that even standard travel aftermarket shocks, will be a VAST improvement over stock 400 shocks.

whc
06-27-2007, 06:13 PM
MY QUAD is an 07 ex400, also I am watching for some used eq. But am hesitant unless I can see the parts or know who I am purchasing from. Am trying to sell my 05 ktm250 then will splurge.or maybe just buy a 450r, but having never ridden one i am not sure how much fun the 450 would be as play ride. later Bill

whc
06-27-2007, 06:15 PM
let me know how how your 400 works with the new front, Bill