PDA

View Full Version : December Dirtwheels

TravEX
10-21-2002, 05:26 PM
well, i got my dec dw, and *sigh*,,,the article is about a 440EX and Z440 shootout,,,just skimmed through it and they REALLY are hard on the EX, they picked the Z in every category,,,as everyone else has said on here, :come on Honda, give us something here!"

Striker49
10-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Thats DW for ya.

But 2 guys me and Castor talked to at Turkey Bay on Saturday had a stock Z and a modded 416.

They stated that the Z only lost by a quad length in a drag. Of course it could just be them, the riders. :eek:

400exrules
10-21-2002, 05:31 PM
ya i just got that issue the other day..........on the dune riding page that quad in the far back left getting smoked by the banshees and raptors looks kinda like alky's 400ex

beerock
10-21-2002, 05:32 PM
ya you know whats funny?

dirt wheels is really showing what asses they are, cuz the geometry of the z400 is pretty much identical to the 400ex.

excpet for the seat height and shape....

**** i ouwld vote for the z440 over the 400ex, sorry to say.......

but its true, id rather have watercooling then air cooling...

but theres still the honda reliability

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 05:33 PM
that 416 was built to the gills too....but its funny...we never even saw them ride....and we waited...lol

cool 300ex
10-21-2002, 05:50 PM
ya that sucks honda should come out with some thing to smoke every thing

maxthrottle
10-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Z400's are going to fall apart.
I stepped on the rear brake pedal while sitting on one in the showroom and the crappy little brake light spring shot off 10 feet away. With all of the cracker jack gizmos and whimpy design,
the quad is going to die on the trail.
When was the last time you saw a Honda break down for no good reason?

eldoexrider01
10-21-2002, 07:43 PM
dirt wheels gets paid. thats all i got to say.

FoxRacing400EX
10-21-2002, 07:43 PM
Something else that seems kinda funny is if you read the article about the z-450 in the oct DW they talk really high about it, and how it responds so well to mods... but they say that from just the pipe it only gained 2hp...isn't that pretty much the same gain that the 400 gets from just a pipe? if you built a 400 up to a 450 and decked it out with all those high priced goodies, i bet it'd lay a stompin too... but the z is new and hot now so it get hyped up, kinda weird that with the cookie cutter z clones you don't hear anything about them, they just sell the zuki:confused:

Chef
10-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
ya i just got that issue the other day..........on the dune riding page that quad in the far back left getting smoked by the banshees and raptors looks kinda like alky's 400ex

Um...ok? :huh

eldoexrider01
10-21-2002, 08:00 PM
right on foxracing400ex!! im not dissin the z i jus dont like how everyone thinks its god or somthin. jus cuz its new.

JustRace
10-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules

What did the EX look like? I'm pretty sure that he never took the EX to the dunes with the fullbore plastic and I believe that his EX could handle its own agains most if not all raptors. I mean his is broken in and everything so he doesn't have no excuses even if he does loose.

Chef
10-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing400EX
if you built a 400 up to a 450 and decked it out with all those high priced goodies, i bet it'd lay a stompin too...

Yes, Yes it would!

kicken250x
10-21-2002, 08:20 PM
alky whats the top speed on your 441? that thing is BAD!!!!

Chef
10-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Depends what Gearing I put in it....right now with 15/36 it does 68-69 on the rev limiter in 5th...on the track on the radar gun...during a race...lol

jaspurx
10-21-2002, 08:39 PM
i dont know about all that atvsport mag shows a lot more to a pipe added to the z i believe it does respond really well to hop-ups but that axle gotta go in one shootout they bent the z`s axle playing before they got to top-speed runs!! and that same old swingarm design of suzuki`s!! my cousin got one 1 week before labor day. so on labor day we all went riding and enroute between riding areas on a "fireroad" i pulled beside him and said lets go , well he was not so cocky when he caught up to me. my stock `99 motor that i tuned, and let breath did its job ok. butour other cousin on his really stocker had to catch up too. we said we wanna rematch w/ our 400ex`s when we got room for 3 wide , wide open!!!! but before we got too rowdy the cousin on the 400ex dumped his on one of my hills!!!! end of our good started day riding.

jaspurx
10-21-2002, 08:49 PM
i dont know about all that atvsport mag shows a lot more to a pipe added to the z i believe it does respond really well to hop-ups but that axle gotta go in one shootout they bent the z`s axle playing before they got to top-speed runs!! and that same old swingarm design of suzuki`s!! my cousin got one 1 week before labor day. so on labor day we all went riding and enroute between riding areas on a "fireroad" i pulled beside him and said lets go , well he was not so cocky when he caught up to me. my stock `99 motor that i tuned, and let breath did its job ok. butour other cousin on his really stocker had to catch up too. we said we wanna rematch w/ our 400ex`s when we got room for 3 wide , wide open!!!! but before we got too rowdy the cousin on the 400ex dumped his on one of my hills!!!! end of our good started day riding.

BornOnFire
10-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Did you notice that every picture in the December Shootout article has the Z-400 in front of the 400EX??? Talk about suggestive subliminal presentation..........I am serious, look at the article. 400EX in the background on every page. Even on the d&mn cover!!!

Dirtwheels is making sure that you see what they want you to see. Not what is fair and comprehensive. Them Turds!!

They also mention that their spys have spotted Honda testing a new sport quad at their secret facility in Kalifornia.

Hey Honda? Seeing is believing!!! Show me the Quad!!!!

jn7865
10-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Dirtwheels is a great magazine in all but they are so quick to jump and go this is our favorite. Thats just not cool if someone gos out and buys a z 400 there not sure what there gettin all they know is its a flashy new machine. When you buy any Honda fourwheeler you know what your gettin and that quality reliabilty and power. While it may not have as much power as others right now the 400ex is simply the best trail machine Ive ever ridden.

VooDuu Child
10-21-2002, 11:33 PM
Yes, and I'm sure that when Honda comes out with their new quad, hehehe, whenever that is, and DW says how great it is, you'll all change your story on their opinions. It's a mag, who cares what they say? Ride what you love, love what you ride. I love my Z, and I beat the crap outta it, and have had not a single problem, and neither has my girl on hers. Everyone should just get off their high horses about how they have to think that their quad is superior to everyone else's. What's the point? Just freakin ride, or is that just not enough? Pathetic if you ask me.

New-400ex_guy
10-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by maxthrottle
I stepped on the rear brake pedal while sitting on one in the showroom and the crappy little brake light spring shot off 10 feet away. With all of the cracker jack gizmos and whimpy design,
When was the last time you saw a Honda break down for no good reason?

wow yeah its just falling apart. other than my axle bending IN WHICH suzuki is replaceing for FREE. my z has never been flawless and fast.

maybe its good that dw always shows the z in front of the ex and alwasys bashes it. then maybe honda will get off there arses and build a 450ex :rolleyes: .

im not brand loyal im performance loyal hehe as someone said on another post.

if honda came out with a 450ex id have one or if ktm came out with a 525 id kill to own that :p , but untill then ill have fun riding my Z.

Castor-426ex
10-21-2002, 11:34 PM
dont beat the crap out of your quad man thats wrong..:( :D

Godspeed
10-22-2002, 07:02 AM
I get a kick out of posts by guys who say "the Z400 is a duplicate of the 400EX" or "Suzuki copied the 400EX to a T" then in the same post they say "the Z400 Sucks".

Say what you really mean, "I am disappointed that my 400EX is still not top dog. I have spent all my hard earned money on mods and it still barely hangs, that sucks."

Now isnt that better?

The Z is a great quad. The best "Sport" quad on the market. So they copied a bit of engineering geometry from the frame design and a-arm set up from the 400EX. The TRX250R borrowed something from the LT250 16 years ago... A funny looking forth wheel. Get over it.

The 400 EX is like Michael Jordan (or atleast Scottie Pippen)... Your day is over and guys like Tracy Mcgrady, Vince Carter and Allen Iverson are now better than his old bad of bones, (i.e. the Z400, Predators and Dales).

lil400exman
10-22-2002, 07:30 AM
well look at this case in point, 16 years ago the tectate4 quadracer250/500 and atc 250r banshee tri-z trx250r tectate3

look around, and see what is still racing....250r's! why dont you see the other machines above? casue they are not as well rounded tectate to much power in a small chassis-blaster size quad racer great motorno handling- good flattrack no wait why casue it has 5 speeds banshee good quad good for racing?no tooooo heavvy whatm achine was reliable had a good rounded motor and handling... it is still around today too pros race em too hat tells ya sumthin also they were built to last that is why there are hardly n e more quad racers and tectates and that the the 400 will be 5 yearsfrom now the 400ex will be coming back into the spotlight for reliabilty... not saying your guys quads are bad or crappy its just that they wont top honda in that sense where you walk outside and you need it to start on 10degree weather...and it does fist tap of the gas.......its just a fact that 400exs will be around forever and it is the best all around machine ever made........

Chef
10-22-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
well look at this case in point, 16 years ago the tectate4 quadracer250/500 and atc 250r banshee tri-z trx250r tectate3

look around, and see what is still racing....250r's! why dont you see the other machines above? casue they are not as well rounded tectate to much power in a small chassis-blaster size quad racer great motorno handling- good flattrack no wait why casue it has 5 speeds banshee good quad good for racing?no tooooo heavvy

I have an idea, think before you talk.

While I have no experience with tecates, I do with the others...

The quadracer is an awesome FT quad with the right rider, why would it be bad for FT because of a 5 speed? Have you ever raced FT? If you havent, then you have NO experience what so ever.

A Banshee is awesome at certain kinds of racing, because of its horsepower, and aftermarket parts available for it. The Pikes Peak Shee in DW a while back only weighed 335 lbs dry....thats just as light as PRO LEVEL 250R's...It had the same amount of stuff as those R's, plus 10 HP!

Z400central
10-24-2002, 08:47 PM
*SIGH* Must we have this discussion, AGAIN!!!!!:confused:

Zero Z400
10-24-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by maxthrottle
When was the last time you saw a Honda break down for no good reason? About 2months ago just so u kno. He had to get a whole new engine becuase of it. U guys r overpraising the Honda reliability, can u prove that yami, suzuki, kawi and bombs dont compare to the 'Honda reliability'. I know hondas r reliable, i have 2, BUT THEY'RE NOT THE BEST! But if Honda does make this 450ex they will!! No doubt in my mind. Z400's r slightly faster stock and with equal mods the Z will blow an Ex away. The Ex tied w/ the Z in suspension, they had a new shock on back of the Z and they tied! That shows that the back shock on the Ex is better! Dont skip around the facts, just admit them until Honda comes out w/ a better quad.

Later

cheetah
10-24-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't think quads become legends for their reliability. They become legends for what they do. How fast they are, how they handle, etc. I doubt the 400ex will ever be considered a legend along side a 250r, it will be remembered for a first. One of the first serious 4 stroke racers made. The 250r will stay a legend forever because of how great it handles and how fast it is. It responds to mods better because it is a 2 stroke. Since they are going to quit making 2 strokes, the 250r will always be a legend. I am just saying the 400 won't be. Just ride what you have and be happy, there will always be someone faster than you anyway.

jn7865
10-24-2002, 09:23 PM
if theres always some one faster and the person on top of the chain is top. And everyone wants to think there top. So everyone think what you want you think your fast than your fast. U think your slow you might be un less your on a HONDA 400EX that automatically makes you fast. The 400EX is the machine that opened the market on the sport quad. After what did you see? You saw a raptor a z400 and predator and the ffx400. while these machines may be faster and may be more expensive. You still know when you buy a honda. You buy a life long machine

jaspurx
10-24-2002, 09:35 PM
well guys it has been done before.i`m sure somewhere else in the world this topic is goin` on too. next will be polaris predator. the trx250r will be a legend , banshee , and 400ex too. inovations always are. probably the raptor and warrior ( at least for living up to its name )dont forget the cannondales for their innovations not to mention they`re the only american machine for sport category but would anyone of these new four-strokes be around if honda did`nt make the 400ex???

jn7865
10-24-2002, 09:38 PM
Thats what im sayin you probably wouldnt be seein alot of these machines Honda 400EX started a reveloution in the industry.

sduncan
10-24-2002, 10:25 PM
I own both quads and am happy with both. If Honda doesn't come out with a more advanced quad next year, then another Suzuki I will own. Its that simple.

Now to the real reason I posted. Is it required to write replys and initiate topics on the board as if the poster hasn't passed third grade yet? For Christ's sake people, LEARN HOW TO USE A CAP KEY AND JUST MAYBE A LITTLE PROPER GRAMMAR AND SPELLING!!! I always feel like I'm reading something that an uneducated chimpanzee who is wearing mittens hacked out on a keyboard. Sound familiar to a number of you?? So before someone gets their illiterate feelings hurt, get over it. If you're honestly stupid, then fine. If not, well, you know who you are. 'Nuff said......

VooDuu Child
10-25-2002, 12:31 AM
I totally agree Duncan. But I have a feeling that the spelling and grammar issue is something that will not go away. I too get so tired of just stupid mistakes that are constantly made; I feel myself getting dumber sometimes I think. Oh well, such is life.

Castor-426ex
10-25-2002, 12:48 AM
I come here to get away from my middle school english teacher...she stalks me....cut me a little slack fellas:D

VooDuu Child
10-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh yeah, I don't literally beat my quad, but I just ride hard, that's all. =-) I love my Z and my Z treats me good.