PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rebuild and not running right

400exrida06
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
ok well this winter i took the whole bike apart to get it painted and to rebuild the top end because it was starting to burn oil. Well tonight i got the whole bike put back together and i went to start it and when it was turning over it sounded way different then before then after a while it did start and it ran for a minute then stalled and it wouldnt start anymore but the engine was smoking a little but i think it was from the paint because i painted the engine with header paint but when it did run it sounded unusual and when it was turning over it sound different also and im positive i put this thing back together right

Sparky_20
06-26-2007, 11:09 PM
what do you mean by "different sounding"? is it cranking faster? Also what did you do in the topend? Check your cam timing, check for fuel, check for spark and check for compression.

EX LONERIDER
06-26-2007, 11:33 PM
yea, check your cam timing.... when you reassembled it did you make sure to have your tdc dead on and the cam gear marks perfectly level with the head and all that stuff? give us some more info on what it sounded like, what behavior it had.

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 05:59 AM
Sounds like its off timing.