PDA

View Full Version : stock rear brake hub ?

mineralgrey01gt
06-26-2007, 05:17 PM
how well do these work? I was just gonna buy a LSR anti-fade but will these work just as well? Im not gonna be doing any heavy racing or anything like that, maybe just occasionally racing it but not much at all, just mostly some jumping, will be sliding it a good bit if that makes a difference.

bushwesl
06-26-2007, 06:32 PM
The reason for the after market lock nuts, such as the the anti-fade by LSR that you're speaking of, are made to do just that, lock the axle in place and not let it loosen. The stock one will occasionally loosen time to time, that is, if its not rusted on there like some I've seen, during normal riding conditions. Do yourself a favor and just buy the anti-fade so you wont have to worry about it. I used to have a stock lock nut and it would loosen up on me occasionally, but now I'm running a LSR anti-fade and so far it hasn't budged. Although, I haven't put much time on my R since then...

Aceman
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I don't think antifades are worth the cost honestly, it's just one more shiny part aftermarket companies can sell you. I have a stock hub/locknuts on my 300ex and a stock hub/radloc nut on my 250r. I've never had problems with either, just be sure to wire wheel the threaded collar and use loctite when you reassemble it.

Rich250RRacer
06-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
I don't think antifades are worth the cost honestly, it's just one more shiny part aftermarket companies can sell you. I have a stock hub/locknuts on my 300ex and a stock hub/radloc nut on my 250r. I've never had problems with either, just be sure to wire wheel the threaded collar and use loctite when you reassemble it.

I agree!

mineralgrey01gt
06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
awesome thanks yall! What is that radloc nut you are talking about? I think I have saw them for sale on ebay but not 100% sure

timmersam
06-27-2007, 12:12 AM
I bought an antifade for mine, I only paid 40 with brake rotor on ebay because it was powdercoated yellow, so i blasted it and now its blue. If you really want one im sure you can find one for cheap on ebay. Good luck

mineralgrey01gt
06-27-2007, 06:49 AM
i checked on ebay and couldnt find any but new ones. I did find one for $130 or $120 new which didnt seem bad. I need to post up in here and see if anyone has one that they arent using so if anyone has one that they arent using, shoot me a pm with a price! Thanks!

SWIGIN
06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
i think some of you guys are missing the point to anti fades.

they are called anti fades since they draw heat out of the brakes and keep them from over heating or fading.

that being said they are great at not coming loose

Aceman
06-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by SWIGIN
i think some of you guys are missing the point to anti fades.

they are called anti fades since they draw heat out of the brakes and keep them from over heating or fading.

that being said they are great at not coming loose

1. He said he's not doing any heavy racing, so the brake fade issue is a moot point and that's assuming these things actually work.

2. I've yet to see test results that show the braking difference? I'm not talking about using a temperature probe on the rotor either, I'm talking about an actual braking difference. Sure the rotor MIGHT be a few degrees cooler, but is that really going to affect the braking performance?

As far as I can tell, antifades are right up there with those little 6 fin inline radiator coolers. People must think "They're both made out of aluminum, aluminum is a good conductor, it must dissipate heat." Rrrright. Show me the proof and I'll be a believer, until then you can keep the snake oil.

SWIGIN
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
well your 300ex dont have a brake heat problem like a 250r, and if you think that the cast steel hub dissipates heat as good as aluminum....well you need to go back to school.

Aceman
06-28-2007, 07:08 AM
You're missing the point here. I never said cast steel is the same as aluminum. I said show me proof these antifades work. Rotors already have holes in them for cooling, you think bolting a chunk of aluminum to the side is going to help stop brake fade? Have you personally experienced brake fade? I know I haven't.

SWIGIN
06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
hows this for a real mature answer

show me proof they dont work....wtf

but yes i have had brake fade and yes i think anti fades work

if you dont ride hard enough to get brake fade then no you dont need one

Aceman
06-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by SWIGIN
i think anti fades work

You'll have to excuse me if I don't believe you, but it seems you're not even sure if they do anything. There's your mature answer.

SWIGIN
06-28-2007, 07:29 AM
if bolting a chunk of aluminum to something dont draw heat from it, why are heat sinks made of aluminum and how do they work?

Aceman
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe I'm not being clear enough. Here goes one more time, I'm not disputing the fact that an antifade MIGHT reduce the rotor temperature. Bottom line, are those few degrees, if any, enough to make an actual braking difference? That's what I want to know. Who really cares if the rotor's cooler, if I don't stop faster, what's the point? I'm saying it's only worth it to buy an antifade if it does work, not just assuming it does.

SWIGIN
06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
if you dont ride hard enough to get brake fade then no you dont need one [/B][/QUOTE]

mineralgrey01gt
06-28-2007, 06:17 PM
i really dont think ill be riding that hard in all honesty. Mostly fooling around my parents house, occasional dune trip and occasional trip to the track possibly.