PDA

View Full Version : few ?'s about an 04 450r

MAD450r
06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Anyone with +3 mm stroker crank and a baldwin 14:1 piston. I really want to run that setup but am iffy on the reliability. I also plan to keep running my hrc cam but have ?'s on what to run for valve's.

If you have experience please do tell.

thanks in advance

chad502ex
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
personally, if I were you I would look into top end improvements over what you already have before considering a stroker.

I've done more strokers than most and the headaches associated isnt worth the added costs...

MAD450r
06-27-2007, 08:46 AM
So what would you suggest. I love the power band I have now with the hrc kit. I wanted more torque and seem to see more torque gained from a stroker is why I was thinking that.

So you say go higher compression and say a valve job and P&P. ?

what else would you suiggest.

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 08:50 AM
Start with a high compression piston....

chad502ex
06-27-2007, 09:20 AM
well for the money you were going to spend on a stroker setup, if I were you I would go with stock bore HC piston, a better camshaft and porting to match for mid 50's.

MAD450r
06-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I have ridden with a few r's all having different cams, none seem to pull on top like the hrc does, I run 18's and just went up to 15 tooth front sproket to make it feel like the 20's did for power delivery.

I have yet to ride with a cam that wasn't more just bottem end ?

So which cam do you suggest.

The stroker isn't that much money from what I been reading. 350$ for the dropin hotrod +3 stroker that uses standard pistons it says. no need for machining anything. Is that one you have tried chad ? Im collecting all the info I can before my mechanic pulls my motor apart to make sure I dont need to bore it up before I buy anything.

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Chad uses falicon supercrank or OEM honda cranks as far as I know, the stroker crank from hotrods is fairly new so not many people have used them.

If its bottom end you're looking for a stage 1 hotcam pulls real hard on bottom, if you want a combination of both, follow chads instructions.

chad502ex
06-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh no,.... Falicon supercrank or OEM is not all I use,.... I've designed and built many strokers cranks all custom.... many of them I was first to produce,... anyway- sorry just needed to clarify (not brag) that I can and have done strokers... that is most of my builds have been strokers...

HRC, pretty week cam IMO as compared to others available. In fact there are a few that can easily obtain 2-3hp over HRC and still be considered as drop-in. Take a look at my Camshaft sticky thread in this section to look at some power graphs of each camshaft.

$350 for a stroker camshaft not counting the labor to split the cases, replace bearings and seals, reassemble the top end with new piston and rings, top end gaskets and seals, then re-install the engine..

This is just my advice to you.... build up your engine before you go directly to stroking it... unless your real mechanically inclined, strokers requires more preventative maintenace and overall knowledge of the build...

MAD450r
06-27-2007, 03:54 PM
So I will just do an oem replacement upgrade on my crank I have 300+ hours on my 04 so I want to do this before I regret waiting. That is why I was even considering a stroker.

I dont see the sticky on cam's in here.

I haven't riden any r's with a custom cam but have tried all 3 hot cams and none had the pull like mine has right to the limiter. Unless my sparks exhaust is the main difference the other r's had hmf and yoshi pipes.

oh what would you run for valves, should I go oversize ?

blue150
06-27-2007, 05:13 PM
:ermm:

MAD450r
06-29-2007, 06:43 PM
I found your thread now chad, but I still dont really understand which cam I should use over the hrc. I would like a bit more power but like where my power is. I dont know if you understand what im trying to say here.

I have ridden with all 3 hotcams and really think my hrc had better pull on top which is where I like the power. I am very small and light so too much low-end will make me wheelie most times.

Know as for valves and port and polish what would give me some gains all across the powerband not just gain low-end ?