PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on TT, please.

chris450R
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
well, i am thinking of going a different route with riding/ racing. for the past four years i've been racing MX and really love it alot. but on the other hand Cros Country and TT interest me alot. i started out trail riding. anyway, my question is what all exactly is needed to be done to make a good competetive TT quad? i am assuming alot of the stuff i have can be used but what else is needed as for shocks, gearing, and wheels/tires?

Thanks ahead of time for any help and info.

Chris

chris450R
06-27-2007, 08:26 AM
are you kidding me? no one has a reply for this. no one can give me their opinion on what works for thme or info on what works best or doesn't work or anything?

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Ok I'll give it a try but so you know Im strictly an MXer. Basically an MX similar setup would work, you can still run long travel but shocks need to be setup for TT, this is very important, it will substantially lower the quad. Lose as much weight from you and the wheeler as possible. A sway bar is a must. Big sticky tires are a must, but from what I understand tire selection is key, as well as grooving tire techniques. Different compounds and tread patterns are used per track. A good set of wheels is a must as well, I prefer hipers but Im not sure how big they are in the tt world. Overall focus on having your quad handle and steer as well as having your center of gravity low, and mega HP is also very essential. It's all about accleration and cornering. Gearing will largely depend on a few things such as HP of the bike, track conditions, and maybe even tire selection.

Doober
06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
like 400exrider707 said a sway bar is needed. on gearing i am running 14/39 . Get the quad low.

xsr_racing28c
06-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Swaybar, wide stance, short travel shocks, shorter swinger, sticky tires, adjustable axle, lots of power!!!

PM me if you need any suspension, I've got alot of very new parts...

~Jay

400exrider707
06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Swaybar, wide stance, short travel shocks, shorter swinger, sticky tires, adjustable axle, lots of power!!!

PM me if you need any suspension, I've got alot of very new parts...

~Jay

Why do you say short travel shocks? You can still have a long travel shock and low wheel travel....

xsr_racing28c
06-27-2007, 01:51 PM
The "TT" specific shocks that I run at 14.75" eye to eye up front. I used to run LT shocks and just switched back and forth from MX to TT and I've noticed a huge difference going to these new shocks because it takes soo much less energy when pulling out of a corner because you don't have all of the length of the shocks to "decompress"... I'm not real good at explaining things like this, but I have alot of expierience on a TT track and from LT to ST you will notice a huge difference.

I run PEP Big Bottle ZPS ARC fronts with JB Racing TT arms...

~Jay

patrickj75
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
another big issue on a TT quad is weight. TT specific shocks tend to weigh less than a LT setup. i would suggest spending money on suspension/chassis parts before motor work. a sawybar and tires are most important. give Rath Racing a call at 320-234-7223 and talk to Daryl.

chris450R
06-29-2007, 09:52 AM
cool. thanks alot for all the info guys. well, for the most part i guess all i really need is tires, sway bar, and to get the quad low. i still have my stock shocks. i'm sure i could get them revalved for TT. i'm doing just fine in the power department though. i'm not real big on big power though. i like power but i think it depends on how you use what you got. anyway, thanks alot.

Chris