PDA

View Full Version : Tc Slip On With Mx Grind Cam?

Sparks425Ex
10-21-2002, 02:49 PM
This winter i was just going to get Shocks and A arms. Well i decided to keep going and get some other stuff. I plan on going wiht a 416. I am goign to sell my Bills Thunder Series Pipe and get a Tc Slip on. I am also goign to bore to a 416. Get a Je 10.8:1 pistion and a Tc Mx Grind Cam.(Maybe a WB Cam). I will also be getting a FCR 39 Carb from Curtis Sparks.

Will i need Hardened Rockers and new Springs if i get the TC cam?

If i do need that stuff i won't get it. I will end up gettign a different cam. What else would be a good choice for a Cam. I race all Mx. Nothing Else. I may get into Flat Track btu that isn;t what i am doign right now.

Dave400ex
10-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Nope no Valves Springs or Harden Rockers needed. I highly suggest the TC Cams. I will be getting me a XC Cam when the time comes. Just get the Piston, Cam, Pipe, and ask TC about Carbs. If he tells you Lectron then get the FCR.

Evan
10-21-2002, 06:14 PM
For high lift cams i highly suggest valve springs. Otherwise u will pay later. I dont know if the TC cam is a very high lifter or not, but someone said the TC national, Whitebrothers track cam, and the web 450 are all the same cams so i dont know if they are very radical cams or not. I have a Sparks in mine and really like it but valve springs are highly recommended espicially if your gonna do TT. 100 bucks vs 700bucks and some no riding, which would u rather have.

Ex_Rider43
10-21-2002, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by X-Rider
I have a Sparks in mine and really like it but valve springs are highly recommended espicially if your gonna do TT. 100 bucks vs 700bucks and some no riding, which would u rather have.

what do you mean by 100 bucks vs 700bucks and some no riding???

Evan
10-21-2002, 06:33 PM
If id payed the extra 100 bucks for stiffer vlave springs I wouldnt have had to pay the 700 for my topend rebuild bc i floated a valve.

Sparks425Ex
10-21-2002, 07:15 PM
The hole idea of getting New Springs doesn't get me as much as the hole Hardened Rockers. I am willing to pay the extra 100-125 bucks for new springs but how mucha re Hardened rockers or how much is it to get my rockers hardened?

So for the Curtis Sparks, Tc, Web 450 and White Brothers Track cams are all about the same thing. If ig et a Tc pipe should i get a Tc cam or would it be ok to get a Sparks Cam with a Tc pipe. I would rather get the Tc Pipe and Cam Combo b/c the Tc pipe is cheaper. I will also be getting a 39 FCR Carb from Sparks.

So how much is Valve springs, Hardened Rockers and shoudl i get a new Heavy Duty Cam Chain as well..

Evan
10-21-2002, 08:26 PM
A cam chain is another worthy investment, im lucky mine didnt go snap, but i replaced it anyway cuz it looked like it wanted to kink up a little, now a sparks heavyduty has a home in my engine just incase. Springs from sparks are 100. Not sure on rockers. Any of those cams are slightly better than mild IMO I belive that the sparks is proably one of the wildest. But get which ever one u want. I know TC is good but from my expereince sparks is better. They say TC is all about lowend bc he uses the stock headers, well for MX i say that u dont need lowend, u need midrange-upper. Why? bc u hardly ever at lowend range, u are usally in the midrange and a little bit op top. If u have too much lowend, then all u will do is wheelie which aint good. I could go on.....

ChadEXer
10-22-2002, 01:07 PM
I would go ahead and get stiffer valve springs!! TC says there not needed but if I would have had them then maybe I wouldnt have bent a valve!!!(Still not exactly sure thats what happened but I think it is))) $100 is cheap insurance!!!

Sparks425Ex
10-22-2002, 01:08 PM
Keep them coming. Lets starts over with the first Questions I asked.

Tommy 17
10-22-2002, 01:33 PM
i have had a tc mx grind cam for right around 10 months now and its perfectly fine wiht stock springs and rockers.... remember its a DROP IN cam...

ChadEXer
10-23-2002, 01:22 PM
I dont think Tom reccomends stiffer valve springs with any of his cams, not sure though! I thought I had a bent valve but it was just a blown head gasket!!!

Dave400ex
10-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Chad have you gotten your Motor yet? TC has again and again told me you do not need Valve Springs or Harden Rockers for his Cams. I know there are many Guys who run TC Cams and haven`t had a single problem.

ChadEXer
10-23-2002, 03:34 PM
I got it back and went to Little Sahara and got a few races out of it before I blew a head gasket!! Tom believes it was running lean and I leaned out the carb even more!!!! And that is why the head gasket blew, I crated it back up a little while ago and Im shipping it back off today,,he said he will get right to work on it and fix it!

ChadEXer
10-23-2002, 03:36 PM
!!

Dave400ex
10-23-2002, 03:46 PM
How did it run? Is Tom just gonna put a new head gasket on? I would have him put his Over-Sized Head Studs in if they aren`t already.

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 08:36 AM
Man it ran awesome!!! Pulls so hard it unbelievable!!! I raced a Suzuki Z400 with a Yoshimura 450 kit and I hurt his feelings real bad!!! Even pulled a few Banshees before the gasket blew!! It does have the oversize head studs in it!! Tom said hes afraid I may have even broke one of the head studs because I had it running so lean!! Thing is when you blow a gasket you can usually see where its wet on the side of the cylinder, on mine i dont see any wet spots but its definately blowing air out of the side of the cylinder!! It sounds reall funny when you rev it up,,like metal rubbing together with no oil,,but its just that air being blown out of the side of the cylinder!! Heck, even with the gasket blown out and most of my compression gone, I bet this thing is still as fast as my 416 was!!

Dave400ex
10-24-2002, 03:06 PM
I would be getting a supply of Head Gaskets then. Having to send it to Tom would get old real quick.

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 03:23 PM
Tom makes the head gaskets by hand.. The shipping is going to kill me!

Dave400ex
10-24-2002, 03:33 PM
You can`t make more then one for you while he has your Motor? If not I would say it`s gonna get quite expensive.

ChadEXer
10-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Ill see if he will,,,,but he thinks I may have even broke one of his head studs! This motor has kick like you wouldnt believe, it wouldnt surprise me!! The whole bike shakes like he!! when you get on it!! Its so loud it hurts,,,that deep deep sound!!

Sparks425Ex
10-24-2002, 03:45 PM
How did it run while ya had it running?

When you start runnign that thing on Alky you are gonna Rip.

How much Hp are you making at the Rear Wheels?

Have ya had it on a dyno?