PDA

View Full Version : Taking off the White coolant bottle

Nick110
06-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Well i was looking at this today and I thought it might be possible. I only see the bottle as a coolant storage thing. What If i take it off, fill up the radiator untill its full, then run a over flow line down the frame and out back. Then just check it every so often to make sure the rad is filled with coolant.

This sound like a good idea.

chris46250r
06-25-2007, 10:36 PM
Whats the advantage to this?

Nick110
06-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Whats the advantage to this?

None really.

It will just clean it up a bit and get rid of a whole pound.

Whats the advantage of having the bottle?

chris46250r
06-25-2007, 10:45 PM
No slop running out the back of the bike. The pound that you'll save will need a half pound of hose and zip ties to get it to the back of the bike.

chris46250r
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Before someone else chimes in and says I'm arguing, I'm not. I just hear of people doing this and have wondered why.

red2004 TRX450R
06-26-2007, 09:01 AM
don't think of it as a coolant bottle. think of it as an expansion tank.

water expands when hot so if you fill the rad up and then run it, the coolant will expand and run out the tube. so the next time you let it cool down it will be low!!!!!!!!!!

Several cooling systems make use of a clear plastic container, which is connected to the overflow tube from the radiator. This container provides extra storage space for the coolant when it expands and is called the expansion, or overflow tank. It is also known as the coolant reservoir, or overflow canister. As the engine heats up, the coolant inside it expands. Without the expansion tank, the coolant would flow out of the overflow tube and be lost from the cooling system onto the street. Instead, the coolant flows into the expansion tank. Since a vacuum is created in the cooling system when the engine cools, the vacuum causes some of the coolant in the expansion tube to be sucked back into the system. Because a cooling system with an expansion tank is virtually a closed system, the coolant can flow between the system and the expansion tank as it expands and contracts. This way, no coolant is lost if the system is functioning properly. Another function of the expansion tank is to remove air bubbles from the cooling system. Coolant without air-bubbles is much more efficient than coolant with air bubbles, because it absorbs heat much faster. The advantage of the expansion tank is that while the level of coolant contained in it rises and falls, the radiator is always full. Older cars can easily be fitted with expansion tanks, simply by mounting the tank near the radiator, connecting it to the overflow tube, and replacing the radiator cap.

Nick110
06-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
don't think of it as a coolant bottle. think of it as an expansion tank.

water expands when hot so if you fill the rad up and then run it, the coolant will expand and run out the tube. so the next time you let it cool down it will be low!!!!!!!!!!

Several cooling systems make use of a clear plastic container, which is connected to the overflow tube from the radiator. This container provides extra storage space for the coolant when it expands and is called the expansion, or overflow tank. It is also known as the coolant reservoir, or overflow canister. As the engine heats up, the coolant inside it expands. Without the expansion tank, the coolant would flow out of the overflow tube and be lost from the cooling system onto the street. Instead, the coolant flows into the expansion tank. Since a vacuum is created in the cooling system when the engine cools, the vacuum causes some of the coolant in the expansion tube to be sucked back into the system. Because a cooling system with an expansion tank is virtually a closed system, the coolant can flow between the system and the expansion tank as it expands and contracts. This way, no coolant is lost if the system is functioning properly. Another function of the expansion tank is to remove air bubbles from the cooling system. Coolant without air-bubbles is much more efficient than coolant with air bubbles, because it absorbs heat much faster. The advantage of the expansion tank is that while the level of coolant contained in it rises and falls, the radiator is always full. Older cars can easily be fitted with expansion tanks, simply by mounting the tank near the radiator, connecting it to the overflow tube, and replacing the radiator cap.

That works, the coolant overflow will stay.

Thanks man.