PDA

View Full Version : truck headlights

400exrules
06-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I have a 97 silverado and my headlights are really dull. I just replaced the bulbs with sylvania silverstars and it didnt make much of a difference. I also sanded the lense some with 600, 800, and 1000 grit wet sand paper....no difference.

Anyone have any tips or ideas on making them brighter?

chris46250r
06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
You'll have to buff the headlights with some compound to make them clear again. Take them out to do it and you wont have such a mess to clean up.

400exrules
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
could i have some sort of electrical problem? because the lights inside my truck are kinda dull too and my windows roll up kinda slow

chris46250r
06-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Possible. With it running, unhook the battery and see if anything changes. Then with it still running and battery hooked back up, unplug the alternator and see if anything changes.

wishmasstir
06-26-2007, 10:08 AM
mine were yellowed so i put a set of tyc hids in it, check out www.truckperformance.com for the best price on tyc's. get a clear headlight itself and then put a set of hids in it for the best result. i had a set of tyc lights with silverstars and they looked really good. not sure on the electrical problem, go over to www.fullsizechevy.com and search on there

parkers30
06-26-2007, 11:40 AM
check the voltage on your truck, you should maintain somewhere around 13.5-14.5 when the truck is running. It is possible your alternator is getting weak, which is a cheap and easy fix on that era of Chevy

If with silverstars the light isn't basically white, something is wrong. I put ultrastars in a few weeks ago in my truck, huge difference.

Chevy's of that era are notorious for weak, slow, and frequently failing window motors so I don't think that is a good measure.