PDA

View Full Version : runs like crap

redgreen_parker
06-25-2007, 08:31 PM
i have a friend who bought my old mojave and he's having some trouble with it. it will start really good first or second kick, but once started the thing runs horrible. it's been rebuilt, but using stock parts and ran good. but the valves have been maladjusted once and i think they may have beat themselves into the head. it smokes terrible now and the clutch slips pretty bad. it half runs when it does and wont rev at all. we can't figure it out...we could rebuild it, but the guy doesn't have the money, so any suggestions are welcome.

jonboy
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Turn the crank over to top dead center and check the valve clearance. Also check the plug, see what color it is. Plug checks will tell you alot if yuo know how to read them. Also check to see if the fuel cap vent is plugged and the fuel line. These are some areas to start. If the clutch slips, it could not be engaging correctly. Or they are just worn to far.

redgreen_parker
06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
i'm pretty sure valve clearances are spot on. the plug we took out was covered in oil and the quad smokes heavily i know. that's part of the problem, but i'm sure it's not all. the motor is getting plenty of fuel, we took the carb apart and cleaned everything so the jets are all good. the clutch is junk i know that for sure...the plates all need replaced. i think when the valves were maladjusted they beat themselves into the head. the motor doesn't display near the compression it should.

jonboy
06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Is it black smoke? or light grey? If it is dark you are getting way too much fuel and need to rejet. If it is grey then it is time for a topend rebuild.

redgreen_parker
06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
yeah it's gray, but like i said this guy has no money to fix it. i feel really bad for him, but idk what to do. i'm not gonna pay for it i do no that much