PDA

View Full Version : Need help with friends Cannondale, wants to buy a pipe.

Honda4ooEX
10-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Hey guys,

My buddy has a new Cannondale Speed, I think its a 02, or 03 I don't know for sure. He wants to buy an FMF pipe and silencer for it or maybe the big gun slip on. Howver he has a couple questions and I don't know much about Cannondales. Which pipe would be better the FMF pipe and silencer or the Big Gun slip on? Or is the best exhaust for the Cannondales stock exhaust? What about HMF? Also he was told he has to have the quad re-mapped if he installs the exhaust. Can someone please explain the re-mapping and if it is nessecary for the exhaust? I have heard of re-mapping is this like re-jetting with the computer? Also could you please tell me what type of mapping to do compared to what exhaust? He basically wants the speed to go even fast, is anyone aware of any modifications that you can do to the Speed to make it faster? I think its plenty fast but he doesn't. I am looking for an HMF web site? Any help would be great thanks.

JabberJaw
10-21-2002, 01:31 PM
The HMF pipe is really loud.... it was louder than my e-series with the end piece removed. The cannondale's are pretty much computerized the same way trucks are. You can adjust the timing, jetting, idle, fuel flow, and various other settings with a computer. You have to have a special tool to make those setting changes.

They sell one for under 900.00 if you want to do it yourself. It should not cost more than 30.00 to have it done at a shop. Just make sure they know what they are doing or you will have a crappy running bike, or even loose power.

Honda4ooEX
10-21-2002, 01:36 PM
I see, might you be able to tell me where I could order an HMF pipe and silencer? I am told that the Nacs mapping is the best out however since I am going to have to take it to a dealer to have it mapped then I guess I will have to do the moto mapping. Do you think that an HMF pipe and silencer with the moto mapping would be a good set up for a speed?

JabberJaw
10-21-2002, 01:41 PM
Marcums sells em... you could ask about the silencer.

I think the blaze has the best all round mapping.

Honda4ooEX
10-21-2002, 02:05 PM
thanks for your help I will ask around.

10-21-2002, 03:07 PM
www.hmfengineering.com is the site you are looking for. I hear the Nac's mapping is good. I know any Cannondale dealer can get you the latest Moto mapping. Another pipe to consider is the FMF that comes on the Moto. I am sure that a Cannondale dealership can get it for you.

Cannibal440
10-21-2002, 05:53 PM
Hey Honda400ex,
The HMF pipe is very loud but the power gain is over stock is very high. There is another guy with the big gun and he really likes it also. What kind of riding your buddy does should determine the map he gets. I have the speed map and like it alot.

Pappy
10-21-2002, 06:06 PM
the fmf sticks out a lil far for my liking.....how hard is it to make it a shorty?

Guy400
10-21-2002, 06:53 PM
I was told that FMF quit making the Ti pipe that came on the Moto. And even if you find the silencer it won't work on the stock headpipe.

wyndzer
10-21-2002, 06:56 PM
If he has a stock round silencer, I've got an HMF or Bill's pipe that I'll probably be selling shortly.

Marty@TheQuadshop
10-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Cannondale told us that the HMF pipe makes the most HP out of all of them.And yes we sell them also

Honda4ooEX
10-21-2002, 10:14 PM
We do alot of fast woods riding and some drag racing. He has the speed model right now but wants it more snappy. I think I am going to let him know about the complete HMF system with moto mapping. They dealer will do the mapping. What do you think? He is mainly looking for more speed and he has already done gearing.

Marty@TheQuadshop
10-22-2002, 01:01 AM
Yes the moto map and HMF pipe wpuld make the killer difference.
We have talked to the CPcontrol guys and they have some more
maps that might work with aftermarket pipes.The moto is a very snappy one to go with.

10-22-2002, 07:31 AM
The Moto mapping hits very hard in the mid and top end. The bottom end is nothing to sneeze at either. Anybody know what the difference between the Nac's mapping and the Moto mapping is?

Taco
10-22-2002, 07:36 AM
I believe the Nacs maps is kinda like the blaze map below 6000rpm and the moto map on top. Wyndzer has it.

wyndzer
10-22-2002, 07:46 AM
I run the Nacs map, it is based off of the moto map, but hits even harder than the moto map. Kyle at R&S made it and it was actually designed for the TC pipe, but works well with my HMF. I like the light switch effect of the throttle, just blip it and BAM! I felt that I had to feather the clutch alot w/ the blaze map. I switch the maps from time to time, but like the Nacs best.

10-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Wyzander, Do you like it better than the Moto map? Guy432, I never heard that they were gonna quit making that pipe before. Is it still going to come on the Moto? I would think Cannondale dealers could still get one.

wyndzer
10-22-2002, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by wyndzer
. I switch the maps from time to time, but like the Nacs best.

Does this answer your question?

Guy400
10-22-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by justfine
Wyzander, Do you like it better than the Moto map? Guy432, I never heard that they were gonna quit making that pipe before. Is it still going to come on the Moto? I would think Cannondale dealers could still get one. The pipe still comes on the Moto and I believe you can order it through your dealer but if I'm not mistaken it's about $800. I'm almost positive that FMF quit making it for sale to the general public through aftermarket parts warehouses.

R-Crazy
10-22-2002, 02:20 PM
i think Guy432 is right, its mot on thier site anymore.
What is involved in mapping and how do you so it? How much is the little computre to do your own mapping with, or can you just us something else? help me out here please!

dave

400exBro
10-22-2002, 07:16 PM
wyndzer- you got any pics of you c-dale, looks like a sweet ride???
thanks '

Bro

cdalejef
10-22-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Guy432
The pipe still comes on the Moto and I believe you can order it through your dealer but if I'm not mistaken it's about $800. I'm almost positive that FMF quit making it for sale to the general public through aftermarket parts warehouses. FMF stopped making a mid pipe to fit the ti silencer to the round style header. We will make a mid pipe for anyone that wants to put an FMF on the old style header. You can still by the FMF ti silencer, they are universal and work with other bikes with the right mid pipe.

Did that make sense?:confused:

400exBro
10-23-2002, 03:56 PM
what about the sparks pipe is that any good???

lata
Bro

smitty
10-24-2002, 07:23 AM
Trinity Racing also makes a complete system for the Cannondales.

My Speed with Trinity Map, Trinity Port and Polished head, with HMF slip-on puts 46.3 RWHP out. This was done on Trinity's Super Flow which reads 10 - 15% lower than a Dynojet.

Smitty

400exBro
10-24-2002, 08:02 PM
LRD hasn't made a pipe for c-dale yet has it???

becuase i feel for mx that sparks or lrd make the best exhaust system.

Bro

Sandgod4
10-25-2002, 03:10 PM
LRD seems to make a pipe last for every new quad to come out.:grr

11-04-2002, 10:37 PM
the big gun exhaust is super loud. I guy I rode with had one it would kill my ears when he rapped it out. it also shot flame out the exhaust when he ran 114 octane.