PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in new YFZ450

jyfz
06-25-2007, 01:12 PM
What do you think the best way to break-in a new yfz 450 is? I just bought a new 2007, I'm not sure if I'm riding it too hard.

250r4life
06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
i've never heard too much concern with 4 strokes... just go through heat cycles... start it up and let it get good and warmed up by blipping the throttle and what not, and after it is at operating temp, kill it and let it cool completely... do it a few times... then get it at operating temperature and cruise around varying your speed and RPMS at a moderate pace...

FoxRacing81
06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I've always been told to run it how you're going to plan on riding it for 2 tanks of gas then change the oil.

I bought mine, rode around the yard and did a few 20 min periods of riding then letting the motor cool down completely, then the first real time I rode it was at a race. It runs just as strong as the day I brought it home.

RYAN44
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
Run it in the way you race it belt the shi$ out of it thats what there made for your only wearing it out otherwise

jshtex
06-26-2007, 08:01 PM
FWIW I followed the owners manual for the first time. Then at every top end change (we raced the bike for three seasons of XC) we ended up breaking it in at a race. Basically beating the crap out of it for 2+ hours.

I think that they recomend the "take it easy" stuff to make sure the rings get a chance to seat. I haven't had any trouble with that racing them on a new cyl., piston, and rings.

But whatever you do, make sure you change the oil pretty quick to get the trash out of the motor.

Dill
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
the rings seat best with pressure on them from higher chamber pressures, in other words, ride it, don't let it sit and idle. Change the oil after a few hours ride time.

These are pics of my 12.5:1 stock bore hammerhedz piston after a season of riding (100+ hours easy), it is a SINGLE compression ring piston unlike the twin ring stock pistons.

http://www.silverlakesandduners.com/pics/albums/YFZ/rebuild2k7/YFZrebuild2007%20001.jpg

http://www.silverlakesandduners.com/pics/albums/YFZ/rebuild2k7/YFZrebuild2007%20002.jpg

http://www.silverlakesandduners.com/pics/albums/YFZ/rebuild2k7/YFZrebuild2007%20003.jpg

as you can see, blowby is almost nil. The piston is not cleaned up at all, that is how it came out of the bike. I was skeptical at first, but seeing this piston in this condition made me a believer.

Honda TRX250ex
06-27-2007, 09:52 PM
It means dont hit rev dont rev the engine out all the way dont beat on it and try not to let it stall out and stuff like that. the book says for 20 hours but id do about 10 hours and change the oil!

parkers30
06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Laz from GT thunder recommends mid to high rpms for the first few minutes to break in the cams, don't let it idle for the a little bit.

motomanmike
07-16-2007, 08:50 PM
the best way to seat the rings is accelerate, then slow down in gear accelerate, slow down in gear. I would ride a quad a half hour or so, change the oil, and run it like you would normal riding. The previous poster was correct about the oil, change it ALL THE TIME. As far as break in, I never have broken a quad in, and I race as the previous poster said also. If anything goes wrong though, tell your dealer you followed the manufacturers recommendations to the T LOL. I over the years feel that engines run stronger out the box if you run them out of the box like you always will, if you baby them they are slow. Just a thing I think but hey i'm not the only person i have heard say that.

jshtex
07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by motomanmike
the best way to seat the rings is accelerate, then slow down in gear accelerate, slow down in gear. I would ride a quad a half hour or so, change the oil, and run it like you would normal riding. The previous poster was correct about the oil, change it ALL THE TIME. As far as break in, I never have broken a quad in, and I race as the previous poster said also. If anything goes wrong though, tell your dealer you followed the manufacturers recommendations to the T LOL. I over the years feel that engines run stronger out the box if you run them out of the box like you always will, if you baby them they are slow. Just a thing I think but hey i'm not the only person i have heard say that.

You wouldn't happen to be this "motoman" would you?

http://216.219.217.96/break_in_secrets.htm

If so that is a great site. When I said above that I broke in our new top end three times at a race, that site is why I felt comfortable doing it....

coryatver
07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
Laz from GT thunder recommends mid to high rpms for the first few minutes to break in the cams, don't let it idle for the a little bit.

yeah especially if it is an 06 or older rev the crap out of it so it gets some oil to the top end or it can seize

Toadz400
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I broke mine in by riding exactly how I planned on riding it. It's always ran great, never burns any oil, and the valves are still to spec to this day. I've ridden other YFZ's and mine seems to have more torque throughout the entire throttle range than other YFZ's that were broke in the traditional way.

I did change my oil after the first 45 minutes and an hour or two after that and never had any metal flakes in my oil.

harescrambles
07-31-2007, 07:32 PM
I just bought an 07 on friday and broke it at a harescramble on saturday at the westmoreland race:ermm:

here is a pic

Dune Surfer
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
I have done it both ways, easy and hard. Seems to me the rings seat best if you get on it right out of the box. Then change the oil and go.

Toadz400
08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I have done it both ways, easy and hard. Seems to me the rings seat best if you get on it right out of the box. Then change the oil and go.

Yep, I've got plenty of hours on my engine and I haven't burnt a drip of oil. Engine seems rock solid, *knock on wood*.